Amazon Prime Video will start showing ads on January 29th

trikat

Limp Gawd
As sheep, since others started doing this awhile back, we pay and pay more, then pay more, and pay again and yet now, get commercials, and we pay again.

Streaming IS the new cable. Instead of "cord cutting" maybe we need "dam the stream".

As sheep, since others started doing this awhile back, we pay and pay more, then pay more, and pay again and yet now, get commercials, and we pay again.

Streaming IS the new cable. Instead of "cord cutting" maybe we need "dam the stream".
My Plex Server constantly is begging to be used more and more. I was trying to watch an iconin Christmas movie with the fam and I refused to watch ads every 15 minutes on whatever service my wife had selected - got pissed off and then realized I had it stored locally in glorious 4k.

I wish Google/whoever would collect my clicking data along with feeding me targeted ads... they would know that I never click ads and will intentionally buy a competitors product if ads are fed to me constantly. The only advertising campaign that has ever worked on me is the Old Spice advertisements from a decade ago. They were genius, so I felt like I had to reward them by buying Old Spice deodorant.

I just had to go sailing because the 4 fucking services I have apparently still wasn't enough, I couldn't rent or stream it without using yet another bullshit ass service.

Ya I'm not paying for another service at this point to watch one movie I felt like watching, it's already obnoxiously fragmented and these services have already gone up in price multiple times.

Was literally less work to put on my eye patch.

Not paying a dime. I'll live with the ads. Don't mind them with my phone in my hand anymore lmao. Half the time I am multitasking anyways.
You are already paying a dime though, thats the issue...pay the same, and now we get ads, cause Amazon doesnt make enough profits already...
May be time to cancel prime for us.

In keeping with the "cordcutters" theme, I registered the domain "streambeavers", dam the stream.

Prime video was always “just” the add on. The reason to have it was always the shipping.

There is virtually nothing I want to watch on prime. But considering that prime is now the most expensive service in general, I feel like it’s declining sharply in value for money. While ironically HBO MAX being the most expensive general streaming service, but also the one that seems to have the most movies/shows/content, may have the best value.

This was the reminder I needed to go cull my streaming services for the end of the year. Prime is at least useful to me for the non-streaming aspects but the others don't have anything left once they've released their handfuls of main content.

My Plex Server constantly is begging to be used more and more. I was trying to watch an iconin Christmas movie with the fam and I refused to watch ads every 15 minutes on whatever service my wife had selected - got pissed off and then realized I had it stored locally in glorious 4k.

I wish Google/whoever would collect my clicking data along with feeding me targeted ads... they would know that I never click ads and will intentionally buy a competitors product if ads are fed to me constantly. The only advertising campaign that has ever worked on me is the Old Spice advertisements from a decade ago. They were genius, so I felt like I had to reward them by buying Old Spice deodorant.

I haven’t paid for cable in 15 years probably and rely on Plex and unRaid. I started with Windows Media Center a cable card and automation software to remove commercials back in the day.

I also don’t pay for streaming. The only thing that sucks is some sporting events are not broadcast on local HD stations.

$139 now. :)
Sucks. Was $79 in 2009 when I first signed up for Prime.

I mainly use it for the shipping as I buy enough on Amazon. But yeah...I watch shows on there every once in a while as a side benefit and this is not nice when already paying them that much.

Last edited:
This is a trend with all of these streaming services.....Disney Plus went to ads and pay extra for no adds a while aback as well. Its just a money grab....ridiculously this country is run by advertising....in everything.....I don't have Disney plus BTW. the reason i didn't sign back up after not having it for a year was because of that reason....

At least there is a fair price on ad removal, unlike youtube.
I think you mean "FOR NOW". You know that is going to change to increase yearly at some point. Just like Prime was sold to us as an ad-free streaming experience that was part of your prime subscription for only $80/year originally. I mean they have been saying the same shit every time they increased the prime yearly cost. In order to "increase your benefits" we need to increase the price. Remember when gas prices went up they increased it, when gas prices dipped a bit we didn't see any price relief from Amazon on our prime subscription costs. At one point I am pretty sure they said they raised it in order to keep funding new prime video content also.

Ads are the infectious disease of media. The ad companies pay enough to offset costs so are very attractive to the content providers. All users generally hate ads in any shape or form but paying to remove them is like a losing battle. You remove them you pay significantly higher prices. Ad companies will increase their spending till the offset of "ad-free" costs will be so high that no one will pay it or companies just say there is no longer an ad-free tier because they just lose too much money by not giving in to ad companies demands. It only always starts off as reasonably priced. Netflix/max/amazon want you to accept ads so they can just eliminate the no-ad tiers completely. Hell even now there are still ads on Prime video and it supposedly didn't start yet. The only difference is that they are ads for amazon shows coming up and you can skip them (well last time I watched something).

This isn't surprising. I always thought it was weird they included it with regular Amazon Prime, which the primary purpose is for free shipping/buying stuff on Amazon. It was probably always planned as a way to make more money, not just bundled together for free.

They did the same thing with Twitch.tv. They made it so having Amazon Prime no longer counts as a Twitch Turbo account and you have to pay $15 a month extra for an ad free experience. When Amazon aquired them almost 10 years ago they made Amazon Prime count as a Twitch Turbo account.

Ya'know, for $110 you could have 6-10 or more blurays/dvds every year, with 6 or so episodes each for serial content. No sub. No gb internet. No takes-backsies.
Would be a great point if a lot of content were not now being intentionally kept streaming only.

The copyright cartel is tired of you getting to pay once and watch forever, they want you to watch once and pay forever.

Would be a great point if a lot of content were not now being intentionally kept streaming only.

The copyright cartel is tired of you getting to pay once and watch forever, they want you to watch once and pay forever.
I mean, sucks for them. Thankfully life goes on without the exclusive stuff.

Broadcast TV limited your stations and your content and had 4 commercial breaks an hour, totaling about 10-12 minutes back in the 1970's.

Cable came along. Pay a fee and never see an ad. Never.

Now? We're up to ~18 minutes of ads per hour (primetime), depending on some specifics. Some are more...18 is AN AVERAGE.

Streaming services: pay a fee, never see an ad.

Now? Yeah, something seems to be repeating itself.

I haven’t paid for cable in 15 years probably and rely on Plex and unRaid. I started with Windows Media Center a cable card and automation software to remove commercials back in the day.
I use Jellyfin, but I got started with Windows Media Center and Plex. Plex today is trying to remove itself from pirates. The advantage of something like Plex and Jellyfin is that there's no limitations on where you can play the media. Also, the streaming quality is generally worse as well. This is how I can play 4K content in Linux when none of the services will allow me. So I just allowed myself.
I also don’t pay for streaming. The only thing that sucks is some sporting events are not broadcast on local HD stations.
Streaming became the new cable, and like before I cut the cords. Yet somehow PirateBay has never left my side.

I stopped my Prime subscription in 2020, and haven't really missed it much since. There's definitely been times where I've thought about going back to it, but, these moves by Amazon just truly cement my position. I won't personally advocate for piracy, but I absolutely see the appeal for it. I do still buy media, and immediately rip it to my storage and put it on Plex. The vast majority of my media has only ever been read once, for that rip :D
I know the Video side of the house isn't really a money maker, but you'd think Amazon could use some of the billions in profits from the other products (lookin' at you, AWS) to subsidize Video a bit more. I guess it's better to further squeeze customers though and deal with the small amount of attrition they'll get.

Honestly Amazon “free” shipping has been enough. They say it should take a week, but so far free shipping (that is orders priced above $40 without Prime) is maybe 3-4 days (got multiple orders in 3). I don’t even buy from Amazon monthly, so for the times I do want something, it seems to be sufficient.

We’ll see how it goes, but so far I’m happy to give up Prime.

I'm just going to keep posting this in threads like this:

1703720216106.png

I believe in paying for what I consume, but I absolutely will not be inconvenienced in any way. Make me sign up for an online account for something that shouldn't require it? No thanks. Want to collect my data? No thanks. I'll happily pay, but if these companies are going to screw me over, I am going to return the favor, and I don't feel badly about it at all.

1703720360660.png

I'm only a hop skip and a jump away from trying to download a car, if car makers keep trying to insert subscription bullshit and data tracking in their vehicles.

This is my red line. You cross it, I will make it my business to not give you any money at all, and screw you over in any way I can.

My only thing with Plex is that they refuse to support anything other than NVENC/QuickSync in Linux. I would love to use Intel ARC but......

My only thing with Plex is that they refuse to support anything other than NVENC/QuickSync in Linux. I would love to use Intel ARC but......

I never understood why people bother with he complexity and load of Plex. I just NAS/SMB/NFS everything and play back in full glorious bitrate without any experience ruining transcodes.

Back