Amazon Fire TV Samsung 65" 4K UHD/HDCP 2.2 Issue

Flapjack

2[H]4U
We've had a Samsung 65" 4K TV (UN65JU6700FXZA) for a while now, and haven't had any issues. We're running all our stuff through a Denon AVR-S900W-R receiver. We got the 4K version Amazon Fire TV during the Amazon Black Friday deal, and proceeded to watch a bunch of 4K content without any issues.

This weekend, we tried to watch a UHD show and got a message that my TV didn't support HDCP 2.2, and that I should try a different port. I've always used HDMI for my TV. I looked up the TV's specs, and it supports HDCP 2.2 all around... not just on one port. Going into System > Display > Resolution gives me the same error as well.

What kills me is this worked just fine before I tried this weekend. All components (TV, receiver, and Fire TV) are up-to-date. I'm beginning to wonder if my kids button mashed the remotes and screwed something up... but I've gone through the receiver and TV menus and set everything up the way I always have.

I did change a flaky cable a while back, but I made sure to replace it with one that said it was HDCP-compliant. Maybe that's the problem? I believe this was well before I watched our last UHD show, however.

Here is the cable I'm using to the TV now. No other cables have changed: Amazon.com: BlueRigger High Speed HDMI cable with Ethernet (15 Feet) - Supports 3D, 4K and Audio Return [Latest Version]: Electronics

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
So... could it be that the last 4K/UHD show I watched on FireTV (Man in the High Castle) was not HDCP-protected? If only certain shows are protected, I guess that would make sense.

That being said, wouldn't HDMI passthrough eliminate the receiver from the picture? I've enabled passthrough, but I don't believe I actually shut off the receiver while testing it.

So... could it be that the last 4K/UHD show I watched on FireTV (Man in the High Castle) was not HDCP-protected? If only certain shows are protected, I guess that would make sense.

That being said, wouldn't HDMI passthrough eliminate the receiver from the picture? I've enabled passthrough, but I don't believe I actually shut off the receiver while testing it.

I believe all devices in the chain need to be HDCP 2.2 compliant. Seems odd that it worked the first time.

I believe all devices in the chain need to be HDCP 2.2 compliant. Seems odd that it worked the first time.
I will fire up Man in the High Castle tonight and see if it works. Doesn't mean it was not replaced with an HDCP-protected version, but if it works, it would explain why it worked the first time.

Back