Amazon.com Voting Deals!

SingleT

Limp Gawd
Amazon.com is having what seems to be a new deal each week, and the most voted item is dropped dramatically in price! Last week there were 1000 XBox 360's sold for $100 a piece! I'm sure everyone heard, I didn't know they were doing it again this week!

If nothing else, do me a favor and login to vote for the diamond studs! :D

http://www.amazon.com/gp/holiday.html/105-2835296-7543654?ie=UTF8&id=cv/homepage

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah... after the xbox deal I got demoralized as far as these amazon vote deals go... if the site is just going to tank, no point in wasting my time again.

Rogue4mula said:
Yeah... after the xbox deal I got demoralized as far as these amazon vote deals go... if the site is just going to tank, no point in wasting my time again.
+1..screw them if they can't even keep up with enough bandwith to give people a chance.

I agree. I started refreshing 5 minutes before the start and the site lagged out even then.

I, too, am demoralized at Shamazon for their xbox shenanigans.

Of course, I could use a new drill for $10. My batteries died.

Can you guys please vote for my cheap replacement drill? Please, please, please.

This sounds like a fine and dandy idea, but with such small quantities, I'd say you have about a one in ten-thousand chance of actually being able to get the deal. Personally, I just don't think its worth my time. It would have to be the absolute deal of the century.... and even then that would just increase the number of people trying for it and diminishing my chances. I'll leave these deals for those who are willing to camp out for things....

hmm.. new news to me. I would have bought an XBox for $100 :D

looking now, all the items suck. Hopefully good things next week :)

lol, in a form of protest, I voted for the Prime Membership + $100 Toys Promotional Certificate. Hopefully that will help thwart the DVD Player deal. MUUUHAAHAAHAA

Rogue4mula said:
+2 And I hate Amazon anyway for everything except books.

i wouldnt mind the dvd player for that dirt cheap.. i was thikning about taking it apart, fit the lcd screen in my glove box and wire the dvd player portion to somewhere else, and have a fold down dvd player for the passanger, all while looking like a part of the car, all for a cheap ass price.

Yea, that Axion Portable DVD Player looks like a great deal at $25. I already have the 18 volt model of the drill (great drill) so I don't need it - even for just $10.

Yeah I could dig the drill or the dvd player...but...so does thousands of other people so :mad:

Hey, might as well try. I figure I'll just keep my browser up and get on a little while before the deal..if I get it, it'll be worth it. If not I won't have wasted a lot of time anyway. :p

I voted for the prime plus $100 toys GC. Amazon prime is pretty sweet, but I wouldn't go from trial to $80 a year. $40 for a year is reasonable, and you get $100 GC for toys to boot.

Personally, I'd like to see the earrings win. I know they won't but I think I'd have a better chance. Plus, there's the old Family Guy adage: Diamonds...she'll pretty much have to.

Site will probably crap out again....and be left pissed and restless. Have fun!

Stuey83 said:
I voted for the prime plus $100 toys GC. Amazon prime is pretty sweet, but I wouldn't go from trial to $80 a year. $40 for a year is reasonable, and you get $100 GC for toys to boot.

yea...i got screwed by them. i cancelled the trial well before it was up and even got a confirmation, and they still automatically charged me the $80 which caused me to go under in my bank account (it was for college, there wasn't much in there). after many phone calls and lots of harassment (not to mention i couldn't understand half what anybody said to me), they reluctantly gave me a refund. no more amazon for me.

btw...i voted for the drill, but is seems pointless. the DVD player is gonna win.

w1retap said:
+1..screw them if they can't even keep up with enough bandwith to give people a chance.

QFT, I'm not voting... doubt I'll get anything - I'm sure their servers will be down when the item goes on sale :)

Yeah, it'll probably still be tough to get the deals, but I'm sure we all have a better chance this time than with the XBox 360s... That was a much better deal, and was advertised just about everywhere. Also, everyone was home last week because it was Thanksgiving Day and not many people have to work. Maybe everyone will be at work now, and not able to get the deal.

I don't understand why people are pissed about the xbox deal. 1,000 units for $100 a piece and you're surprised the site was slow? Supposedly, it took 6 seconds for 1000 people to get a code. 6 seconds for 1,000 people means, how many were sitting refreshing the page? Like 50K+? THat's a shit load of traffic.

pigpen said:
I don't understand why people are pissed about the xbox deal. 1,000 units for $100 a piece and you're surprised the site was slow? Supposedly, it took 6 seconds for 1000 people to get a code. 6 seconds for 1,000 people means, how many were sitting refreshing the page? Like 50K+? THat's a shit load of traffic.

But they knew they would get that kind of traffic. If they can't operate a website that is prepared for that sort of thing, then they shouldn't do it :mad: That is like having a sale at bestbuy and only letting the first 50 people into the store for an hour. Other people might be there to purchase other products, but they can't get in because they bottleneck the doors and only let 1 person through every 10 minutes.

farscapesg1 said:
But they knew they would get that kind of traffic. If they can't operate a website that is prepared for that sort of thing, then they shouldn't do it :mad: That is like having a sale at bestbuy and only letting the first 50 people into the store for an hour. Other people might be there to purchase other products, but they can't get in because they bottleneck the doors and only let 1 person through every 10 minutes.

I was on a T1 at work and had no problems (though i didn't get it.) I'd imagine the 1,000 that got in were probably on good connections as well. I don't know if that's Amazon's fault, just the nature of the beast.

pigpen said:
I was on a T1 at work and had no problems (though i didn't get it.) I'd imagine the 1,000 that got in were probably on good connections as well. I don't know if that's Amazon's fault, just the nature of the beast.

Nope, Amazon already admit it was their fault.

T1 ain't even that fast. Most of us have faster connections than a T1. I also got crapped out. I waited there like 15min before the deal went live, as soon as it did the fkin page could not be displayed... that is after waiting like 5min for it to fkin load!! When I finally got in, it was sold out, of course. :mad:

w1retap said:

That's a fallacy. If they had endless bandwidth, you still wouldn't have gotten sh!t. There were 1000 Xboxes and hundreds of thousands (more htan likely) trying to get one. The fact that they were sold out in 30 seconds tells me they had enough bandwidth to sell them.

I said it before, but it's worth repeating: you don't design your network for bandwidth requirements that only occur for a few minutes when you're selling an item at a significant loss.

Hell, Ticketmaster doesn't design their network to handle the conditions that occur when a hot band has tickets go on sale, and that happens far more often, and unlike Amazon, they make money on each sale.

I really don't understand how people who are presumably knowledgable about tech and in theory relatively logical could have thought that Amazon's servers wouldn't be brought to their knees last Thursday.

ryan3243 said:
yea...i got screwed by them. i cancelled the trial well before it was up and even got a confirmation, and they still automatically charged me the $80 which caused me to go under in my bank account (it was for college, there wasn't much in there). after many phone calls and lots of harassment (not to mention i couldn't understand half what anybody said to me), they reluctantly gave me a refund. no more amazon for me.

btw...i voted for the drill, but is seems pointless. the DVD player is gonna win.
I disabled the automatic renewing feature but will double check just to make sure. Amazon's biggest flaw is that its right hand doesn't know what it's doing. I've ordered in stock items which then take a month to get delivered. What does amazon do? They give me free 2 day shipping. So instead of taking one month and 5 days, it took one month and 2 days...

But they do come through every so often. I ordered a book via amazon.co.uk. It was stated to ship in a week or so. After it didn't ship I sent a somewhat angry email. A few hours later I decided to cancel the order. I later got an email response to my first email and they gave me 3 GBP which amounts to about $5 and change and I then ordered a different book I had in mind with the credt. Later on I saw a response to my second email and that representative gave me a credit of 5 GBP which amounts to like 9 dollars and change.

I haven't experienced that with amazon.com, but they've given my friends free shipping upgrades for random trouble with DVD bundles. They have DVD A in stock and DVD B in stock and also have a bundle with DVDs A and B. The DVD bundle was taking forever to get shipped so eventually Amazon sent DVD A and DVD B separately with expedited shipping.

I tried to get that xbox from two different connections with no luck. Couldn't get the site to load until 2:10 and it was way too late at that point. I heard they were sold out within 29 seconds, but don't know how true that is.

tealk said:
Site will probably crap out again....and be left pissed and restless. Have fun!

i think the xbox360 deal was extraneous circumstances. $25 dvd players aren't gonna find their way to the front page of digg or slashdot or countless forums worldwide

I got in on the DVD player no problem. Site wasn't even running slow for me, so much better than with the Xbox 360.

Next week looks like its going to be a Sylvania 26" LCD HDTV for $200

You can see the deals on at the Amazon.com homepage on the right side... But they changed the whole way the customers vote thing works now.

There is no more race to buy: the claim codes will be distributed only to randomly selected customers. There is an overwhelming demand for these great deals, and we want to ensure that all our customers have the same opportunity to get a claim code. We will randomly select a group of customers who voted for each item, and only those customers will receive a claim code to purchase that item at the Amazon Customers Vote discount during the 24-hour buying period. So you no longer have to worry about being at the site at a particular time of day to get a chance to purchase one of these great deals.

Back