Am i the only 1 still using a old CRT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

s4rge

Limp Gawd
For his main computer. You guys suck lol. Look @ me with my 17 inch CRT. Im not looking for an upgrade, but just wondering if im the only one still left in 1999?

Model: 17
Max Resolution: 1280 x 1024
Sync Type: Composite, Seperate
H Freq/ V Freq: 30-64 Khz / 50-100 Hz

http://cgi.ebay.pl/Nice-Gateway-200...ategoryZ116349QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

thats my baby =]

dreamx2.jpg

honestly, i think a 17" crt @ 1280x1024 is severely limiting your gaming experience.

Have a 19 inch Dell i keep in the attic for emergencies. Actually had to use it for 2 weeks last month while waiting on my new monitor.

For his main computer. You guys suck lol. Look @ me with my 17 inch CRT. Im not looking for an upgrade, but just wondering if im the only one still left in 1999?

http://cgi.ebay.pl/Nice-Gateway-200...ategoryZ116349QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

thats my baby =]

honestly, i think a 17" crt @ 1280x1024 is severely limiting your gaming experience.
Not sure. Never played on a LCD and never played @ any resoultion higher than 1280x1024. Sadly, a monitor is not in my top priority list currently. However, bioshock @ 1280x1024 did look so damn kick ass today. I do wonder how it would look on a big LCD.

I still use a Viewsonic PF790 (19" 1600x1200) CRT. I absolutely LOVE the color compared to my Viewsonic VX2240. I can't seem to get the settings right on the newer LCD.

Your not the only one with a crt, I have a Daytek 19 inch crt at 1280x1024. Its a beast and takes up half my desk, i can barly fit my laptop on the desk now. But damn I love it, sitting up close to it feels like ur lookin at a jumbo tron. And there is so much room on the screen running at 1280x1024, I can have [H] open, msn and just about everything i need open on it.

CRT FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a Viewsonic P815, G220, and also I have some 21 inch Sony monitor downstairs that I'm too lazy to go check on.
http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-P815-CRT-Monitor-USB/dp/B00004Y7LE
http://www.amazon.com/Viewsonic-G220F-21-CRT-Monitor/dp/B000071W8X

All of the CRTs are massive, I got them for free too after some office upgraded to LCDs I guess. They're really nice for CRTs though, and they have decent resolutions, so I can't quite say I feel your pain. I'm hoping to upgrade these eventually.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'll switch to an LCD once my FW900 dies...otherwise I'm not converting. :D
Only wish it didn't weigh close to 100lbs. It really sucked taking it to quakecon.

Give me triple Sony FW900's any day.

You forgot the reinforced desk champ.
CRT's suck for PC's.....if I had the Sony, the only LCD I'd upgrade to would be a 8 bit 24, but still, the Sony was high end, so why not dump it and "get real".

2008 isn't it:rolleyes:

CRT's suck for PC's.....if I had the Sony, the only LCD I'd upgrade to would be a 8 bit 24, but still, the Sony was high end, so why not dump it and "get real".

Your needs may be different from others. CRTs are by no means dead. CRTs have certain attributes that exceed the respective performance given by an LCD. Many people require such things. Just because you don't doesn't mean others don't prefer a CRT over an LCD. When LCDs or another technology bests the CRT in every respect, you can then consider it dead, until then, it isn't...people still use B&W for certain things instead of colour too for example. It's all relative based on your needs.

I have both a 20WMGX2 LCD and 24" FW900 CRT, The CRT gets used 95% of the time.

Not much else to say.

I still run on occasion my 27" gateway destination monitor. Came from an old win98 multimedia system

I have a NEC FE2111SB and I'm gonna be a sad guy when it goes. I still haven't found an LCD that matches it, picture wise. Long live my CRT!

Your needs may be different from others. CRTs are by no means dead. CRTs have certain attributes that exceed the respective performance given by an LCD. Many people require such things. Just because you don't doesn't mean others don't prefer a CRT over an LCD. When LCDs or another technology bests the CRT in every respect, you can then consider it dead, until then, it isn't...people still use B&W for certain things instead of colour too for example. It's all relative based on your needs.

I understand, I'm just a lowly home user{like most people}, and I've heard your side of the story many times, but I'm not interested in the details or difficulties of being a image pro or pro gamer.

When I reconnected my old CRT next to my 26 LCD, I couldn't "freakin" believe how bad and small it looked, so from my POV, I'm more than happy to swap better black levels, a meaningless advantage in response time for SIZE, SUPERIOR AND USEABLE BRIGHTNESS, SHARPNESS, DESKSPACE, THE AMAZING ABILITY TO DISPLAY ANYTHING IN HI-RES, ESPECIALLY PICS/PHOTO'S, BUT ALSO GAMES AND HDTV.

Next on my LCD agenda is most likely a 32, the only question is whether I go for a hexy 1080 or a 768, of course, once I dumped my bulky CRT, I have room to add another LCD and further improve my multi-media experience.

Oh no... its that thick headed one sided biased dude again.

Some people never learn..

When it comes to multimedia / movies / gaming for me its CRT or Plasma... LCD is simply inferior technology IMO.

Oh no... its that thick headed one sided biased dude again.

Some people never learn..

When it comes to multimedia / movies / gaming for me its CRT or Plasma... LCD is simply inferior technology IMO.

Quit the ad hom thanks, you wouldn't have the guts to talk tough face to face, so don't role play a tough mofo on the net huh.
FYI, LCD is superior technology for most people on the PC, especially if you have an older 19in CRT.

I am also still using an 19 inch CRT. A Lacie electron blue IV. Still very happy about it.
I as looking for a lcd as 2nd monitor, but so far nothing found yet. well I found some but they are a tad expensive. The 2408wfp got met interested, but didn't go for it because of the black crushing ( I also wanted to watch movies on it) and imput lag ,.... . The lenovo 22inch (l220x) looked also interesting, but imposible to order here atm (Belgium).

Because of lack of a decent lcd (and acceptable price), I bought myself a 42inch plasma as my second monitor (well actually for watching movies and series). (a Panasonic 42px80)

Check the FW900 thread - there are a lot of people using it. 24" widescreen crt, high refresh rate and high resolutions. Its a high end graphics professional crt which used to be over $2000 back in its hayday. Now you can find them on ebay stores for $350 - $400 if lucky. I use dual monitors, one lcd and one FW900 crt.

I'm using a 17" and 19" CRT on my main system, plus another 17" CRT for my servers.

I've looked at LCDs many times in the past, but so far they merely seem like poor knock-offs of the excellent displays CRTs are. Especially TN panels are a true plague on this world. I can't believe anyone could buy one of those displays and not cry at having wasted hundreds of dollars on a display which can't even maintain the same colours and brightness depending on from which angle you look at them.

I might consider an MVA or IPS-based LCD display. But then again I'm not that rich :)

I still buy off lease corporate refurb 21-22" CRT Monitors based on Sony Triniton.
For $60 a monitor it is simply the biggest bang for my buck. Everytime I have made a move to an LCD I have returned based on comparison with my current crts and dissapointing results in gaming. The only thing with LCDs in my home are my notebooks. :eek:)))

couple Compaq P1220s here

jdmaincompandlaptops.jpg

couple of Dell P1130s here (got 6 or 7 more of these throughout the house on other systems

jdsArmorcomputer.jpg

for me.
still keeping my Sony "21 G520 for any emergency my happen.
Big huge 35kg monitor, took a big place on my desk but it was the time to move to lcd's world for me.
my first was HP w2207 (TN), i WOWed for te glossy effcet, but...viewing angel, color representation was a big disappointed for me.then move to LG LG246wp-bn which was/is really a big blast for me.
thanks to the [H]ard Forum.

CRTs have their place.

That place is debatable.

Still, I'll always love that feeling my first 17" CRT gave me when upgrading from a 14inch PB.

Quit the ad hom thanks, you wouldn't have the guts to talk tough face to face, so don't role play a tough mofo on the net huh.
FYI, LCD is superior technology for most people on the PC, especially if you have an older 19in CRT.

OH SHIT NO. This guy AGAIN. :rolleyes: :eek:

I'm using a Gateway VX900T Trinitron 19" CRT alongside my VP210b and VX922. Heck of a screen, till now!!!

used to use a philips 107T monitor till i took the plunge and bought a dell 2408wfp on 22 mar 08. so essentially used the crt for 6yr+. 85hz FTW!!!!!

the beige case has turned a sickly yellow... yuck..

LOL, You obviously dont know me, At all.

Stop trolling the CRT threads... We already know you own an older / dim shadow mask CRT and like to compare it to brand new LCDs (Gee I WONDER which one looks better?).

I on the other hand have a properly working FW900 CRT and know better.

LCD's still have plenty of flaws that keep me and many others away.

To each there own.

It doesn't get more real that a 24" CRT...an LCD will never again be on my desk as long as the FW900 supply keeps up...I have 2 of them...looking for a 3rd....

I'm still using a Sony CPD-520GS I bought about nine years ago off lease from when Starter Athletics first declared bankruptcy. Mine was still in it's original packaging, so it hadn't been used. Got it for $185, which was at least $700 off what they were going for back then.

Now it's getting a bit dark even with the contrast and brightness turned up. Playing CoD4 I have to have my brightness slider almost all the way to the right to even see any detail in the dark background of the config screen. I'll probably be going to a 22-24" LCD some time. They don't bother me all too much and as long as there is one with very little input lag and no noticable ghosting I'll be happy.

I played original UT back in '04 with a Planar LCD and thought it was perfectly fine. Maybe I'm not all that picky?

I still have a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB that I bought last year sitting in the garage. That thing is a beast. It's still the best gaming display I've used.

Another Sony Trinitron based CRT here, 22". Gorgeous all around, despite it's age - I got it for free from an editing lab as they replaced all of their stations. Only downside is the wattage it takes to run, like 3 times what an LCD would.

LOL, You obviously dont know me, At all.

Stop trolling the CRT threads... We already know you own an older / dim shadow mask CRT and like to compare it to brand new LCDs (Gee I WONDER which one looks better?).

I on the other hand have a properly working FW900 CRT and know better.

LCD's still have plenty of flaws that keep me and many others away.

To each there own.

I don't need to know you, I know myself.

I guess trolling is any truthful piece of info you don't like huh?
What you don't seem to comprehend is that there are heaps of people who read these threads, and MOST of them aren't image pro's or pro gamers and couldn't care less about some of the so-called deficiencies of LCD.....let me qualify that.....even though CRT have better black levels and response times, the differences this makes to MOST people on 8 bit 24-27in LCD will be irrelevant to the overall advantages that good quality LCD bring.

LCD's strong points....

Good black levels for small screens.
Awesome and adjustable useable brightness.
Razor sharp images.
Lightweight and manouverable.
Vivid colours.
Excellent asthetics.
Night and day difference with hi-res pics/photo's.

2nd hand CRT disadvantages....

Ugly.
Bulky.
reliability.
brightness.
size.

Me...I've played Far Cry, D3, Q4, Shadow ops, Toca 3, and all look awseome.....none suffer from any ghosting whatsoever, nor can I subjectively detect any input lag whilst gaming, ie, using the sniper rifle in Far Cry is a piece of cake.

As I mentioned elsewhere, TN's aren't my cup of tea, and IMO, anything 20in and over should be a 8 bit, but that's not my choice to make.

I am still using a CRT. I have had it for a while.

Mitsubishi diamond plus 91 19" CRT. It uses a diamondtron NF tube. I prefer the picture quality of the mitsubishi over sony/viewsonic/dell. Black levels are great, it is pitch black.

Purchased it from outpost.com back when they were giving the FREE OVERNIGHT shipping. They claimed to "kick the ship out of the competition". Ordered it friday and got it saturday morning. Must have been an arm and a leg to overnight saturday delivery a 60LB diamondtron CRT. Got it for $450 out the door no tax.

Been a great monitor. Good quality no matter what resolution I pick. from 800x600@120hz to 1600x1200@85hz. Not like an LCD where you have a native resolution. Hard for me to justify to upgrade it when it is working fine. The only thing I don't like is the large footprint.

What you don't seem to comprehend is that there are heaps of people who read these threads, and MOST of them aren't image pro's or pro gamers and couldn't care less about some of the so-called deficiencies of LCD.....let me qualify that.....even though CRT have better black levels and response times, the differences this makes to MOST people on 8 bit 24-27in LCD will be irrelevant to the overall advantages that good quality LCD bring.

LCD's strong points....

very few lcd panels have good black levels, certain panels have very bad black crush, most of the time they get as good as dark grey, never really black. a 1000:1 contrast ratio is only accurate @ 500cd/m brightness which is much too bright for any person on the planet to handle. turn down the brightness, you lose contrast ratio, becoming unusable while blacks start looking like lighter grey.

brighter than the sun is never a good thing. useless selling point. the white point on my benq will not go under 170 cd/m brightness (50 cd/m over recommended photo editing brightness), in a low light room is blinding. unfixable.

Razor sharp images.

means more flaws are visible, in everything, games need to have AA enabled to look like a CRT without it, hurting performance

yes

Vivid colours.

oversaturated and inaccurate, due to a decreased RBG percentage.

Excellent asthetics.

moot point.

only on very high quality expensive panels.

Ugly.

picky

Bulky.

no one ever complained before lcd's.......

reliability.

BS, my HP is still going strong after 7 yrs
:D

brightness.

more BS, crt brightness is fine, you think its bad because its not blinding.

size.

again, no one ever complained before lcd's.......

Me...I've played Far Cry, D3, Q4, Shadow ops, Toca 3, and all look awseome.....none suffer from any ghosting whatsoever, nor can I subjectively detect any input lag whilst gaming, ie, using the sniper rifle in Far Cry is a piece of cake.

until you go online

As I mentioned elsewhere, TN's aren't my cup of tea, and IMO, anything 20in and over should be a 8 bit, but that's not my choice to make.

LOL:D

LCD's strong points....

Razor sharp images.
Vivid colours.
Excellent asthetics.

Ugly.
Bulky.
reliability.
brightness.
size.

Honestly, what possessed you to even post in this thread? No one asked for your opinion, or your "LCD Elitist" attitude. Do you think you're enlightening us about something? We can't read for ourselves, and if we do we don't understand? Obviously OUR personal experiences mean nothing when is differs from your almighty opinions...moron.

You may take some of us for fools, but by coming in here and posting your opinionated bullshit, you're the only fool we see. :rolleyes:

Honestly, what possessed you to even post in this thread? No one asked for your opinion, or your "LCD Elitist" attitude. Do you think you're enlightening us about something? We can't read for ourselves, and if we do we don't understand? Obviously OUR personal experiences mean nothing when is differs from your almighty opinions...moron.

You may take some of us for fools, but by coming in here and posting your opinionated bullshit, you're the only fool we see. :rolleyes:

I beg your pardon moron, but what you guys fail to do is offer any balance, on top of the fact that you seem to use a 22-23in actual screen sized 2nd hand Sony as the benchmark to bash LCD's.

The average person is entitled to be properly informed of what's available to them, and when we consider the frequent "noob" style threads and questions, it's apparent that many people are seeking "reasonable and balanced" assessments to meet their needs.

Everyone who's seen my LCD is impressed by it, and I also replaced my bedroom CRT with it in the one hit.

I beg your pardon moron, but what you guys fail to do is offer any balance, on top of the fact that you seem to use a 22-23in actual screen sized 2nd hand Sony as the benchmark to bash LCD's.

The average person is entitled to be properly informed of what's available to them, and when we consider the frequent "noob" style threads and questions, it's apparent that many people are seeking "reasonable and balanced" assessments to meet their needs.

Everyone who's seen my LCD is impressed by it, and I also replaced my bedroom CRT with it in the one hit.

Last time I read the original post, this thread wasn't about anything more than "Am I the only 1 still using an old CRT?" not "ZOMG!!! LCD'S BLOW GOATS!!!!1111ONEONE" Why did you even bother adding your useless and totally off topic drivel to a thread that asked who was still using an old CRT?

Also, the "average person" on this site is not someone who you seem to think needs your guidance. This is an enthusiast website and forum, and people on here are more than capable of asking questions and doing research on what they are interested in. We don't need people like you to start pointless flame wars.

And if I wanted to be "properly informed", I sure as hell wouldn't ask a 19yr. old severely opinionated moron like you. Your bias towards your own "opinion" and the feeling that it is the only correct opinion is severely flawed. Just sit back and enjoy the gift that mommy and daddy bought you and don't be such a pompous idiot when someone even mentions "CRT".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back