am i missing out?

notTHEike

Limp Gawd
In all of the games i play i run everything at medium quality, sometimes low (shadows, texture quality, yada yada) and at 1024x768. i couldnt possibly tell you what framerate it runs at (im gonna guess kinda low). i also dont run any aa/af. but, i dont have a problem with any of the graphics im playing... they all look good to me.

my question is, am i really missing out on everything else? all the bells and whistles of the new engines? i downloaded the far cry demo when it came out, and it ran ok with everything turned down, but other than that i havent tried any new games since gothic 2 basically...

another question, what would be the single most useful thing i need to upgrade to improve gaming and overall computer performance (other than ram, cause i know thats obvious)

system specs:

AMD Athlon 2000+ XP
256 mb PC3200 ram (generic)
80 gb maxtor
40 gb WD
Nvidia Geforce 4 MX440 64mb
M-Audio Delta 1010lt sound
win xp pro sp1

It's not that big of a bottleneck. I run on 384MB of PC133 and you'd better believe the thrashing is through the roof.

the MX. your video card is the worse of the worse. thats bad. its really a very bad video card. its basically a rebaged Geforce 2 MX... a GF3 ultra is faster then that video card. wait a few months and get a new one like a 9800 or something when the prices drop.

Yeah, the graphics card sucks. But a 9800 is going to be useless with 256mb of ram. I really don 't believe you ran farcry on that poor machine. It must have been crying.

GlobalFear said:
Yeah, the graphics card sucks. But a 9800 is going to be useless with 256mb of ram. I really don 't believe you ran farcry on that poor machine. It must have been crying.

you are correct, it was "crying" by everyone standards today... but low framerates and pixelated textures dont matter that to much, i guess im just used to it... i remember when i had fraps installed, i was running at like 20 fps or something in max payne 2 and it was very playable for me... i guess i just havent experienced anything better... payday is thursday though, soo it looks like ill be giving newegg some business...

Back