Am I allowed to hate Microsoft/Windows?

pavel

Gawd
I really don't want to post this - but, I'm not sure how to solve the issue - and I'm researching online - it's really ridiculous.... and I shouldn't care?
I prefer using Linux - but, I'm using Windows because I use a few programs - that are either only Windows or have better support on Windows.
Anyway, I had a game that was crashing - and my friend (and I) wondered if it was a driver issue. So, I got around to using DDU (dunno if I needed to use that) - and completely removed the driver - and then re-installed.
The game now works (well, without the crash) but now Nvidia Control Center doesn't show up - I get a 'Nvidia Control Center Not Found' message and the Microsoft Apps just 'load' forever - there's a 'pending' message whenever I try to install Nvidia Control Center - before that, it would fail with an error message and 'retry' result. I didn't log in to a Microsoft account and thought maybe I need to? I HATE MICROSOFT and Windows - btw - anyway, I thought maybe I need to create one. Anyway, so I did - and now I'm no further ahead?

Anyway, maybe someone knows what's going on? I created an account on some Microsoft Windows forum - I might post there, too.... I have found a few 'inquiries/questions' of this topic - and it seems no one ever solves it.... it sounds complicated - and everybody has different Windows settings (configurations) and who knows whether that has an impact.... anyway, I friggin' hate Windows and using it.... I also shouldn't care about Nvidia Control Center but it's absurd.... this pos 15 year-old program looks ancient and used to automatically install along with install of your nvidia driver now it's 'tied in' to the Microsoft Store and their stupid 'Apps' - it makes me want to buy an amd gpu!!!!!

As you can see, I'm really annoyed - so, I better end this rant. My apologies.... :-(

Sorry, but ddu is not a good tool for nvidia cards. It's a legacy program that is only really needed for AMD nowadays. Also, This has nothing to do with windows. You should have just reinstalled the driver with the Nvidia clean install option. You can probably do that from here and have things work :).

Last edited:
Reactions: pavel
like this
Sorry, but ddu is not a good tool for nvidia cards. It's a legacy program that is only really needed for AMD nowadays. Also, This has nothing to do with windows. You should have just reinstalled the driver with the Nvidia clean install option. You can probably do that from here and have things work :).
Really? That's how I usually do it - I can't recall if I tried that first.... anyway.... it seems that there is some Windows configuration also causing issues.... but, I only *returned* to Windows recently and I never messed around with that stuff.

Didn't work. At first, there's nothing - so, I go to the store again - click to install Nvidia Control Panel - it stops downloading at 195mb - it's just 'stuck' there.
So, I try to re-start the network - now, it does the same - 'Nvidia Control Panel not found' - but, when I try to install it - it has the error message which I've now seen a million times.
'Something unexpected happened - Reporting this problem.... ' blah, blah, blah....bs bs bs....
Code: 0x80073CFE

[Close]

I already researched the code - you get nowhere.

Installing the drivers do not have automatically the control panel with them ? I do not remember having to go through the Microsoft store for it. Maybe it is a new enough change and my windows install old enough.

If you need to install stuff from the store you can use winget, winget install "NVIDIA Control Panel"

Installing the drivers do not have automatically the control panel with them ? I do not remember having to go through the Microsoft store for it. Maybe it is a new enough change and my windows install old enough.

If you need to install stuff from the store you can use winget, winget install "NVIDIA Control Panel"
I know it's usually INCLUDED. I don't know why it's not when I install the driver - so, yes - that is problem #1. So, I need to do the only other thing I can - and that is install it from the stupid Microsoft App store.
Which doesn't work.

Ppl should abandon this POS OS in droves. Switch to Linux, BSD or even Mac OS - I don't care which - Windows is a stupid OS with so many issues and problems - go to their stupid support site - their online 'techs' and admins can barely speak/understand English and their advice never helps anyone. All the posts I find - usually end with no solution or the person just says 'something worked' but there's no explanation.

I know I am going to have to re-install, eventually - and I really don't want to.

There's a more serious problem now - and that's my internet connection has a significant delay now.

PS C:\Windows\system32> PS C:\> Get-AppxPackage -Name NVIDIACorp.NVIDIAControlPanel
Get-Process : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument 'C:\>'.
At line:1 char:1
+ PS C:\> Get-AppxPackage -Name NVIDIACorp.NVIDIAControlPanel
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: :)) [Get-Process], ParameterBindingException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : PositionalParameterNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetProcessCommand

I already know it wasn't installed. This is ******** pointless.

re-run DDU in safe mode a couple times then try reinstalling. yes it still works for nvidia.

Why are you going through the Microsoft Store for apps? Download the Driver for your GPU directly from NVIDIA's site.

https://www.nvidia.com/download/index.aspx

And DDU still works well for NVIDIA as well. Make sure yod do it in Safe Mode., reboot in Safe Mode and run it again. I've used it a many times to clean out crappy drivers Windows Update somehow installed even though I have the driver update part turned off.

Why are you going through the Microsoft Store for apps? Download the Driver for your GPU directly from NVIDIA's site.

https://www.nvidia.com/download/index.aspx

And DDU still works well for NVIDIA as well. Make sure yod do it in Safe Mode., reboot in Safe Mode and run it again. I've used it a many times to clean out crappy drivers Windows Update somehow installed even though I have the driver update part turned off.
I already explained it - when I install the nvidia driver - the Control Panel doesn't install - i.e. it's not included - I also have a message 'Nvidia Control Panel Not Found' - my theory is that there is an issue with the Microsoft Store - since, that's where Nvidia is 'drawing it from' - Nvidia must access the store and then installs it. However, there's some issue with the Store with my OS.

I really don't think that re-installing will help - I have already installed it several times - including clean installs.

PS C:\Windows\system32> PS C:\> Get-AppxPackage -Name NVIDIACorp.NVIDIAControlPanel
Get-Process : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument 'C:\>'.
At line:1 char:1
+ PS C:\> Get-AppxPackage -Name NVIDIACorp.NVIDIAControlPanel
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: :)) [Get-Process], ParameterBindingException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : PositionalParameterNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetProcessCommand

I already know it wasn't installed. This is ******** pointless.
Did you even read the error message here?

My dad's laptop has been having problems with the Microsoft Store and some of the apps for a while...

You can get the store to work again by uninstalling it and reinstalling it, but you'll need to search for the incantations cause I can't be bothered. (Sorry) Sometimes you have to run through it a couple times.

But... It turns out his SSD is going to die. Won't pass a self-test (although SMART doesn't consider it failed). If that's the root cause of the issue, well most OSes get rwal shifty when the drive is failing, not exactly a reason to hate the OS. At least Windows sometimes tells you if the drive is in SMART failure... Sometimes. Most of my past experience with SSDs was either they're working or they're a brick... but I guess there's a chance of new and exciting failure modes.

My dad's laptop has been having problems with the Microsoft Store and some of the apps for a while...

You can get the store to work again by uninstalling it and reinstalling it, but you'll need to search for the incantations cause I can't be bothered. (Sorry) Sometimes you have to run through it a couple times.

But... It turns out his SSD is going to die. Won't pass a self-test (although SMART doesn't consider it failed). If that's the root cause of the issue, well most OSes get rwal shifty when the drive is failing, not exactly a reason to hate the OS. At least Windows sometimes tells you if the drive is in SMART failure... Sometimes. Most of my past experience with SSDs was either they're working or they're a brick... but I guess there's a chance of new and exciting failure modes.
I hear you - I ran the 'repair' and 'reset' for the Store already and it didn't fix anything. I couldn't see how to re-install it but I suspect it won't solve the problem either but it sounds worth trying - longshot but okay.
My ssd had some 'crashes' a while ago but I ran the SMART diagnostics and 'repaired' it - it hasn't had those same crashes since but I suspect it might not be 'healthy' anymore - and is another reason I didn't want to re-install on it again. I have a spare SSD I was going to use for Linux - but, now it's probably going to be 'reserved' for a new Windows install - should I install Windows 11 if I do another MS Windows install, though? Or stick with 10?

I'd probably want to buy a new SSD though for Linux - I think this current ssd should just be reserved as a backup of backups (data) in the near future.

So, things I can try now - DDU in safe mode, re-installing the MS Store..... mmmmm..... :-/

Something in powershell like this can help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...l-method/37b4f27c-3eaa-4962-8ef4-2a75df225eb6

IMHO, if you have to do this once or twice, I dunno, blame Microsoft (and especially their bullshit repair buttons that don't work). But more often than that, and I'd suspect the drive, especially if it has a history.

Personally, I've drawn a line in the sand and I'm not installing 11... But then I haven't made any progress towards reworking my life around a FreeBSD desktop either (cause Linux has pissed me off too, and I've suffered enough with MacOs for work because it was the path of least resistance, but man does everything feel wrong)

Reactions: pavel
like this
Something in powershell like this can help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...l-method/37b4f27c-3eaa-4962-8ef4-2a75df225eb6

IMHO, if you have to do this once or twice, I dunno, blame Microsoft (and especially their bullshit repair buttons that don't work). But more often than that, and I'd suspect the drive, especially if it has a history.

Personally, I've drawn a line in the sand and I'm not installing 11... But then I haven't made any progress towards reworking my life around a FreeBSD desktop either (cause Linux has pissed me off too, and I've suffered enough with MacOs for work because it was the path of least resistance, but man does everything feel wrong)
I tried the 'reset' MS Store - and tried various commands with Powershell to no avail. At this point, I think I can only give up - but, the hassle of re-install or a new install I really HATE.... :-( Backing up my data, re-configuring/installing programs and the browser problem - bookmarks etc. - I hate this part of the re-install/install process.

I perceive Windows 10/11 - no real difference except one is newer. Gonna have to use it eventually - what I really want to do is eventually transition over to (a) Linux (distro) - but, that'll have to wait (again) for now.

With my other/new ssd - I can install a new OS (e.g. Windows 11) and go back and try things to try and fix the problems - but, my prediction is that nothing will fix/solve it....

I decided to 'upgrade' to Windows 11 - the store problem might have been 'fixed?' Nvidia Control Panel is now present. I thought I would have to re-install the drivers for W11 though? Dunno....lol.... However, the game I play still crashes - I took a picture of the crash (error message) screen - so, I'll research that next. I tried the upgrade/install of W11 - since some ppl said it can sometimes fix/repair problems - and I thought I don't have much to lose - as long as the install succeeds.

What game keeps crashing?
It's a game called Generation Zero. I tend to mostly play free games - I have a list of several games - I discovered I liked multi-player games or games I can play with others/friends etc. - I get kinda bored playing single player games. Anyway, the crash has only stressed me out - causing frustration and I couldn't find any info that helped solve it.
The error message:
Fatal D3D error - D3D Error 8:BACKBUFFER_CREATION_FAILED

I didn't have this crash or any crashes when I had Windows 10 and my 3080. Since, I downgraded to a 1660 Ti - I've had this crash - or that's what I recall. It's whenever I get out of the game screen - so, leaving it at any time to go to the desktop or getting out of the game's full-screen. Then, when I return to the game (screen) - it crashes with this mesage. I 'googled' the message and the 'solutions' I found - one was to change a setting - which I already had. Others were something like re-install the video driver.

So, my other other ideas: re-install the Nvidia driver; re-install the game; DDU the driver - then re-install *(I think I shouldn't have to do this?); give up and play a different game (probably going to do this, ultimately).

Edit: I recently upgraded to Windows 11 - that didn't solve it either - although, I didn't think it would - I think it's a problem unrelated to the Windows OS. Right?

Thanks for your interest, anyway.

It's a game called Generation Zero. I tend to mostly play free games - I have a list of several games - I discovered I liked multi-player games or games I can play with others/friends etc. - I get kinda bored playing single player games. Anyway, the crash has only stressed me out - causing frustration and I couldn't find any info that helped solve it.
The error message:
Fatal D3D error - D3D Error 8:BACKBUFFER_CREATION_FAILED

I didn't have this crash or any crashes when I had Windows 10 and my 3080. Since, I downgraded to a 1660 Ti - I've had this crash - or that's what I recall. It's whenever I get out of the game screen - so, leaving it at any time to go to the desktop or getting out of the game's full-screen. Then, when I return to the game (screen) - it crashes with this mesage. I 'googled' the message and the 'solutions' I found - one was to change a setting - which I already had. Others were something like re-install the video driver.

So, my other other ideas: re-install the Nvidia driver; re-install the game; DDU the driver - then re-install *(I think I shouldn't have to do this?); give up and play a different game (probably going to do this, ultimately).

Edit: I recently upgraded to Windows 11 - that didn't solve it either - although, I didn't think it would - I think it's a problem unrelated to the Windows OS. Right?

Thanks for your interest, anyway.
Sounds like a game issue.

Sounds like a game issue.
I suspected that much but a friend who plays - doesn't have the issue - I sold my nvidia card to them. Anyway, there's ways around it - just not 'leaving' the game screen or just choosing a different game. Thanks for replying, though.

Some people here have old information.

Literally first hit on google about this.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4777/~/nvidia-dch/standard-display-drivers-for-windows-10-faq

First step in troubleshooting.

TLDR newer (as in since Windows 10) DCH drivers don't install the Control Panel and it should be installed via the Windows Store.
Yeah, I know but it wasn't working. I thought - nothing to lose - so, I upgraded to Windows 11 - and Nvidia Control Panel was installed along with the Nvidia driver - after doing that. So, afaik - atm - that issue is solved*

A thought recently came to me about the issues with Windows declining market share.

First, regarding hardware, I do this is partially to blame. But there's always been bad Windows hardware (even when the market was hot) and there's always been good Mac hardware (even with their market was down).

But the thought I had was a lot of novice users look to tech enthusiast in their family or friends circles for advice buying computers. Windows has been pushing more towards adding features and ease-of-use for general consumers and really uncaring of the opinions of tech enthusiast since Windows 8 released. While 10 had some initial level of positive engagement from the tech community, really the last 'great' OS Microsoft has released was Windows 7 it seems, though I do like 10 and 11 myself.

Just really a short rambling that I wonder if Microsoft really needs to re-engage with the tech crowd as a grass roots effort to re-build their reputation. Of course that would mean taking honest efforts towards fixing the issues that tech enthusiast have with the OS.

Microsoft's main demographic isn't tech enthusiasts and with WSL, VScodium, winget, etc it's not like they're giving the middle finger to em either.

Not sure what's wrong with Microsoft hardware either. Their surface laptops have been great.

Back