Aluminum PB HD replacement woes

Darth Bagel

Limp Gawd
So my girlfriend's 15" aluminum powerbook caught the click of death last weekend. Bought a replacement hard drive and I've been trying to follow this set of instructions for opening up the laptop and swapping drives. Looked like no big deal before I tried it, but I'm getting stuck at the last step on this page (page 4). I cannot for the life of me get the clip to come off. Thus far I've tried using a needle (the sewing kind) and a paper clip. I'm going to try to find a dentist's pick in the next day or two and give that a shot, but I just can't seem to get the clip to even move.

Anybody out there done this and want to give me some suggestions, please?

Darth> OWC has some very handy install videos for this sort of thing.

OWC VIdeos

You'll want to click "View by Mac Family" and then scroll down to the 15" AL Books.

The about.com page you referenced didn't seem very good about illustrating this point. I've never found any sort of clip in that location that was any different from any of the other clips holding the top case in place. Also, you're not removing the clip so much as detatching it so it releases the top case. You may need to apply some pressure, but be careful not to bend the top case.

I don't have any problem applying pressure, I just lack an instrument with which to apply pressure in such a tight space. Also, I'm not sure exactly what I'm supposed to be doing (the article says to pull the clip towards me, is this what I want to do?) because I've never done this and I can't seem to find a picture of the clip online to be sure I'm not just wasting my time or breaking something.

And the OWC page only has a video on adding memory, unless I'm missing something.

Edit: Aha! I have harnessed the combined might of beer, boredom, anger, and a screwdriver. Now all I need to do is find a copy of OSX.

Darth> My fault. I thought I saw the AL Book section had a HD replacement. The video for the MBP will be very close as the internals are very similar. That said, in the HD replacement video for the MBP, he was able to work the top case off with his fingers. I've never been able to do that.

If you do a lot of repairs, you may want to pick up a "black stick". These are a plastic stick with a flat end (like a flat screwdriver) and the other end is sharp and pointy. By using plastic, you reduce the chances of mangling something important or scratching the case. A metal flat screwdriver will do in a pinch (as you seem to have found), if you're very careful with it.

be VERY careful getting those clips off, when i replaced my hard drive on my powerbook i bent the clips in front of the cd drive and the body wouldn't fit flush again (looked back, there were gaps where i couldn't get the clips to go back in right). I would recommend you try to get a hold of the tool apple service folks use in order for easiest removal, i used a butter knife and, well... there are tabs (metal) and you pull the tool twoards you if that makes any sense, it'll take some bending back and forth to get it to give, it's a really tight fit. this was the hardest upgrade ive ever done on a computer, and I've fully taken apart clamshell ibooks with no problem (MANY more steps). let me know if i can help any more.

CreativeMac said:
Darth> My fault. I thought I saw the AL Book section had a HD replacement. The video for the MBP will be very close as the internals are very similar. That said, in the HD replacement video for the MBP, he was able to work the top case off with his fingers. I've never been able to do that.

Later 15" PBG4 and the MBP use plastic snaps instead of metal tabs on the front edge of the case. Makes assembly much easier.

SonDogg said:
<snip> I would recommend you try to get a hold of the tool apple service folks use in order for easiest removal, <more snip>

That's actually called a Black Stick. It's referenced in virtually every Apple Service Source document.

Felix88> At least up to the last iteration of the 15" AL PB, I haven't ever had any problem removing the top case. Never noticed the difference it the clips. Working the edges slowly with a black stick always took care of it nice & easy.

Back