Aluminium Keyboards

HowzThat

Weaksauce
I'm looking for a more rugged type keyboard with a bit of style. Specifically something made from aluminium. Does anyone know any manufacturers who produce keyboards made from aluminum?

I have looked at the Enermax aurora keyboards and I will go with that if I have to, but was also looking for any other options that might be out there.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!:)

FWIW, Apple makes keyboards from aluminum. Not sure if that's what you're looking for, though.

Unfortunately I am a PC user from way back so..well... the old Apple/PC division/rift and all that.

I will acknowledge Apple is producing some amazing products....their LCD displays for one look amazing (despite some people trying to decry them).

But I am a PC user at heart...old loyalties (yes I know its stupid but old habits die hard).:D

Anything non Apple would be swell!

;)

Your deck keyboard is good. Something like that in aluminium would be my perfect keyboard. :cool:

Hiper is an option, but key layout is a bit off. Will consider though. Thanks.;)

Aluminum KB's are rare. They were made a bit more years ago. It's all about plastic now.
A good idea, which anyone can do is use aluminum vinyl sheets to cover your keyboard from MNPCtech.com. I can make my Deck look aluminum with the vinyl sheets they sell. It can be applied to anything. So pick your favorite board and mod it.

Checked those links and the products seem to beout of stock/discontinued.. sad cos they look quite nice!

Yeah, their site doesn't list them either. They did a year ago.

Checked those links and the products seem to beout of stock/discontinued.. sad cos they look quite nice!

Been doing a bit of searcing...Anyway...came up with the likes of Saitek. Cheiftec, CoolerMaster, Advent, Perrix...You name it someone has made an aluminium keyboard...

3 years ago.:eek: Even Sony came out with one.

All out of stock now unfortunately.:(

Stumbled across this piece of art:

http://www.razerzone.com/powered-by-razer/everglide-dktboard-keyboard/

But you guessed it...Out of stock....

Aluminium keyboards.....As rare as a blonde virgin. :eek:

EDIT: How about well laid out Silver Keyboards? I want it for my silver aluminium case, monitor and speakers. Silver keyboards with good key layout would also do nicely.

The Enermax Aurora was the only aluminum keyboard that I could find that met my requirement of having a standard key layout. I wanted standard sized Backspace and Enter keys, and I wanted a separate arrow key cluster that wasn't all jumbled in between the right shift/ctrl keys and the numpad.

That alone eliminated a lot of the aluminum keyboards, and the fact that so many of them are next to impossible to find eliminated quite a few others. Luckily a guy was selling a few of the older Aurora keyboards on eBay in both black and silver...I got one like this in basically brand new condition for about $25. Very nice keyboard.

edit: Just noticed that the one I linked to is the newer version with the funky Enter and Backspace keys. I got the older version, thankfully. I have to wonder why everyone stopped making these? Guess profit margins are higher with keyboards made from plastic. :rolleyes:

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I absolutely hate Apple but the Apple aluminum keyboard works on PC and you can reverse hack bootcamp to work in XP so you get all the media controls working and even the eject button in Windows.

You also get up to F19 so you can custom map those to other functions.

You can even reverse the option and command buttons.

Trust me, I am no fan of Apple but using this on a PC gives me the perverse pleasure of seeing Apple hardware forced to be used on a PC.

You can get custom keys or covers on this site or just covers

http://www.kbcovers.com/servlet/Cat...hite:US+Keyboards:Ultra-Thin+++NumPad+(Wired)

Also - Everglide keyboards are crap

Last edited:
And the ones that do exist are deeply fucked up in one way or another to the point that nobody wants them.

I think I have come to that conclustion also. ;)

Also - Everglide keyboards are crap

Okay. Opinion noted. I am along the same lines though cos i'm picky.
For me the everglide could be okay but the keys are all squashed. Backspace and Enter key are good but whats with the Pageup Pagedown keys, Insert and the rest? :confused:

You can get the Silver one from Zipzoomfly for $20 AR with free shipping. Great Deal.

Yeah I'm still considering but money isn't the deciding factor for me. Would rather spend $150 and get something good. Keyboard and Display is one thing you shouldn't have to upgrade too often and they should last once they're on your desk. But theres nothing out there.....:(

The Enermax Aurora was the only aluminum keyboard that I could find that met my requirement of having a standard key layout.

Looks like I will be heading down this path too in all likelihood. Aurora would be perfect bar the chopped in half backspace key and the backslash key placement.

Thanks for everyones input. Aurora might be the one if I can't find anything else.

Back