Alternative to Windows Media Player

DaLurker

[H]ard|Gawd
What's a good alternative to Windows Media player? I've been using this the last little while (over winamp because the library function is much better), but it seems to be going screwy on me. I can no longer sort my play lists by what I want, rather it just default is, and when I click on the columns to sort (say by name), nothing happens.

Anyways, good software or a solution to that would be nice :D

I use winamp and would recommend that, but since you said you wanted something else you could try iTunes. I have a couple friends that like it.

winamp pro works nice for me, and what don't you like about the library function? just click on audio, then type in a search string, brings up all matching items instantly. very nice in my book.

MrWoot said:
winamp pro works nice for me, and what don't you like about the library function? just click on audio, then type in a search string, brings up all matching items instantly. very nice in my book.

I don't like how I can't sort by artist, or title, or any of that. Don't use the search functions though....

Tried foobar2000, it's pretty good! streamlined, does everything I need it to, although I don't like how it can't monitor folders which is something Winamp and WMP had

O, and how do I set it so when I mouse over the icon (in the systray) it will show me the artist and the song name? right now it only shows the song name.

I like iTunes -- I realize it can't be tweaked to perfection like foobar, but it's pretty, and I can make smart playlists, and I can give each song a preset equalizer setting (and I do, and it is wonderful).

Translated: I'm too dumb to get foobar to sound right.

DaLurker said:
O, and how do I set it so when I mouse over the icon (in the systray) it will show me the artist and the song name? right now it only shows the song name.

On Foobar? I'd actually like to know the answer to this one too. It did this for me a few versions ago, but then I broke it. I can't remember what I did to start it. was it a plugin? I just don't recall.

The problem with the special version is it will use a lot more resources than if you pick what plugins you are going to use. I like to start with the lite version and add the plugins I use from there.

To get the the system tray icon of Foobar to show what is playing go to Foobar2000->Prefrences->Display->Default user interface->System tray, and check Show balloon tooltip on song change. You will need to have your system tray formating string setup to get this to work. For mine I use this:

'ARTIST: '%artist%$char(10)
'TITLE: '%title%$char(10)
'ALBUM: '%album%$char(10)
'YEAR: '%date%

hmm.. one more thing... how do I get it to go to the next random track when I hit the next button on my Logitech Elite keyboard?

I don't think you can do that with Foobar... or at least not that I know of.

use winamp, turn off its equalizer and find a good output plugin off there site. i like KB 5.1 cuz it has the option to switch to Pro Logic II and Dolby. ( i know my sig)

Hmm.. one more question about the System tray bar.. is there any wayt to do the "Artist - Title" if there is the information, and if there isn't, revert to the default (which is the name of the file)? Right now for the MP3's that only have a filename, it outputs ? - ? which isn't sucks :(

DaLurker said:
Hmm.. one more question about the System tray bar.. is there any wayt to do the "Artist - Title" if there is the information, and if there isn't, revert to the default (which is the name of the file)? Right now for the MP3's that only have a filename, it outputs ? - ? which isn't sucks :(

FreeDB plugin. Try it, live it, love it.

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1026218339&postcount=25

Tagging in foobar.
...Select all the files in the album, then right click on one of them. In the context menu that pops up, go to freedb > get tags. The freeDB window will pop up if the album is found. [amost any album you can buy is in that database, so I'm just going to assume it is] All you need to do is hit the 'tag files' button, and foobar will add all the tags you need.

DaLurker said:
hmm.. one more thing... how do I get it to go to the next random track when I hit the next button on my Logitech Elite keyboard?
Go into prefrences->core->keyboard shortcuts, find and select [main] Playback/random from the actions menu. Then check the global hotkey chekbox, click on the key box and push the next button on your keyboard, and click add.

DaLurker said:
Use: [%artist% - ]$if(%title%,%title%,%_filename%)

Hmmm...sounds like I need to give Foobar a try.

I am currently using The Core media player...an "all in wonder" player that plays damn near everything.

However it does have some spit and polish issues so I do not know if you want to give it a try.

siliconnerd said:
Go into prefrences->core->keyboard shortcuts, find and select [main] Playback/random from the actions menu. Then check the global hotkey chekbox, click on the key box and push the next button on your keyboard, and click add.

Doesn't work :(

Toggle this option on and off and see what you get
(it works for me and my Microsoft keyboard)

fooagain.png

Mister X said:
Toggle this option on and off and see what you get
(it works for me and my Microsoft keyboard)

fooagain.png

Toggling off and I can't use my keyboard, if I turn it on, it works but I can't remap the keys... argh.. why?!

Sarnia was BORING!
Never do a coop workterm there if you are from a big city

For some reason, doesn't wanna do FSB higher than 200 on 2.7 volts... or maybe its just that the shuttle doesn't like it too much. Haven't had too much time to tweak around with it.

Looks like you've discovered Foobar2000k Special as well... took you long enough :p

BTW, it took a while to reply cuz I was in China/HK for a bit to visit my parents

Back