alternative mobo for my setup?

ronan_zj

Weaksauce
Its my first time to build desktop with NO EXPERIENCE, and I have been using laptops for the past 10 years as a student, so I think its time for me to have my first desktop.

Here is my setup list , and I also need some suggestions for alternative choice..
CPU : Intel i7-2006k . ( It was 2500, but I got a deal from CL, $250 brand new)
Mobo: ASUS P8P67 PRO
Memory: Corsair Vengance 8G PC1600. (2x4GB)
Video: EVGA nVidia GeForce 9500GT 1GB (Dual DVI)
HD: OCZ Vertex 120G (from my laptop) and WD Caviar Green 1TB
PSU: SeaSonic M12II 620W , Modular
CASE: ZALMAN Z9 Plus
Monitior: DELL 2209WA + ViewSonic Vx2250

I don't play high end games, and the only games I have in my laptop are CS-Source, H.A.W.K, and AA3, so you may notice my video card is really old school one. I understand the current setup leaves a big space for future upgrade, such as OC the CPU, and repleace a new mid-level video card, such as GTS450 or GTX 460.

The desktop mainly for watching movies, internet, and following:
1. Adobe CS5
2. Adobe Lightroom
3. SAP2000
4. ANSYS 13.0
5. Matlab
6. MS Word

I have a hard time to pickup a mobo ( $180 for mobo, ), after I have read a lot of reviews from Newegg.

the mobo is ASUS P8P67 PRO, and do I really need this relative expensive mobo? I know P8P67 PRO is good for OCer, and for sure I have no experience on OC, so I think I won't do it anyways coz I dont play games. are there any alternatives? such as MSI or GB ? cheaper than this?

In addition, the case comes with 4 fans, and the P8P67PRO only has 4 fan connectors:
1. CPU_FAN for CPU.
2. PWR_FAN1 3pin for ? ( do I need to connect PSU to this connector?)
3. CHA_FAN1 4pin (+5V, CHA_FAN IN, CHA_FAN PWR, GND). does it mean I can only connect 5V fan?
4. CHA_FAN2 3pin.
so I don't think there are enough connectors for the case fans, what aftermarket supplies I should buy to gain extra fan connectors from the PSU?

Back