Alternative for Downloading Windows 8.1

coolrunnings

Limp Gawd
I've been upgrading each computer with Windows 8 that my friends and clients have to 8.1 and am pushing the limits on my now-capped Comcast connection. Does anyone know if there's a free way to upgrade machines that came with 8.0 to 8.1 using a disk instead of having to download it every single time from the Windows Store? Just trying to save my bandwidth!

I found out how to do download the update, but there is some bad news:
The product key is TIED to the Windows 8.1 update that is downloaded. You CANNOT simply download the update and use just a single version of that to install into multiple computers. This is not the same as downloading Windows 7 Service Pack 1. This time the product key is tied and linked directly into the update and that version gets downloaded. So, you will still have to download this for each and every Windows 8 computer.​

The instructions are found here:
http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39...nload-the-official-microsoft-windows-8.1-iso/

And, another detailed instruction here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1849920/download-iso-version-windows.html

The other option is a clean install by downloading the ISO for Windows 8.1.

I have not found a link or instructions on how to modify the Windows 8.1 Update and de-link it from the product key. I don't think it's possible or if anyone has even tried.

It would explain why Microsoft only offered two versions of 8.1:
  1. Update through Windows Store or the instructions I mentioned above.
  2. Offer only full retail, non-upgrade versions of Windows 8.1 (or OEM full installation of Windows 8.1).

Note:
IF the product key is only used to verify the installation, then "maybe" (a big "IF" here) you can use the downloaded 8.1 Update to install into another computer.

IF the product key is tied to the update after entering it, then it's unlikely you can install it into another computer without downloading it again.​
Entirely up to you to give this shot. I have yet to try it.

I appreciate the advise, guys. I'm really curious if OEM disks we purchase from NewEgg, Amazon, and the like will allow us to do full upgrades without providing a product key on Windows 8... I'm also wondering if Dell, HP, etc. will release upgrade media. Here's to hoping! I currently don't have the stuff to give this a shot yet but I'm sure it's coming...

Back