Almost had a scare tonight....wouldn't you?

michaelkahl

Limp Gawd
At work I am in the process of transferring all of our VM's to an NFS share. The share is mounted as a datastore on our ESX box. The reason for the migration is for hardware upgrades.
One of our old admins purchased the box without hardware RAID support, so all of our VM's were running off the same drive. We found a controller officially supported in our box and on the VMWare HCL for ESX 4.
Anyway, I digress...so in the process of moving a linuxbox that hosts our departments documentation(internal knowledge base, IP Address database, etc) I got an error on the .vmdk file, "the filename is too large". Well turns out it wasn't very friendly in this whole process and I couldn't get the VM to mount the .vmdk file. ESX kept telling me that it wasn't a .vmdk file.
Long story short, I had to recreate the header file for the -flat.vmdk file. I learned that .vmdk files are actually two files, the .vmdk + the -flat.vmdk. The .vmdk is a header (text) file that holds the hdd's configurations.
Thanks to VMWare's awesome KB I found the answer and applied the fix within a matter of minutes (once I found the article).
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mi...nguage=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1002511

I'm sure this isn't new to anyone here, but maybe it will help someone searching these forums later on. That and I also posted this because...for being such a noob to virtualization I was surprised that I fixed it so quickly (relatively speaking).

The same thing happened to me when a VCB backup failed to remove a snapshot and a datastore filled up. The same KB article helped me out tremendously. I was glad I found it after being on the phone for 45 mins with VMware support.

Yeah, we have to help people with that one a lot :) Good job finding it in the KB!

Child - VMware support didn't know what to do?

Yeah, we have to help people with that one a lot :) Good job finding it in the KB!

Child - VMware support didn't know what to do?

After 45 minutes they didn't have an answer. I was continuing to Google while on the phone and came across the KB article on how to recreate the .vmdk descriptor file and fixed it myself.

Wasn't very impressed.

Back