Weaksauce
AthlonXP 1700+ @ 12x200
A7N8X-D 2.0
ATI 9800pro

- I have the Hydor L30 pump
- I bought a heatercore (18cm x 13cm)

heatcore.jpg

- Now I need to replace my homemade WB.

I plan on ordering the RBX at this time. I heard it has some mounting problems and the TDX version fixes them -- It also eliminates the 'Y' piece. But, if I can mount it correctly, does the RBX have the same cooling capacity as the TDX? I heard they are the same. The place I'm ordering from currently has the RBX on sale for 50$ (CAD)

I also plan on ordering a GPU block -- DD Maze4 1/2" inlet/outlet. This seems like a good WB for my 9800 from what I've read. Any opinions?

Now to NB or not to NB, that's the question.

About 2 months ago my computer started randomly rebooting and freezing. I checked my temps immediatly and noticed my NB going 65+. I put a small fan above the stock HS on my NB and that fixed the problem. Obviously my NB is getting hot, very hot -- Would adding a NB block help me reach a higher FSB? Or would this just add unnecessary heat to my loop?

And finally, by looking at my heatercore and adding an RBX/TDX, GPU maze4 and possibly a NB maze4 block, will my Hydor L30 be able to handle it without reduced flow?

Thanks.

I'd stay away from using a NB block, just because you will have better flow without it. It doesn't really seem to help with better FSB anyway. Just my opinion but this seems to be the general consensus. Is anyone out there that's using a NB block and can give an accurate report about it?

Only one of my systems was helped by water on the northbridge. It cured the artifacting in the integrated graphics at high FSB.

For most systems, NB blocks aren't useful.

If you have a pump that handles high head well, a NB block won't be a problem. However, with an L30, I would probably advise against a NB block, as that pump doesn't handle restrictive setups well enough to take on a loop with 3 blocks and a monster heatercore. You most likely be alright (in terms of flow) with your CPU block, GPU block, and that heatercore using a Hydor L30. I would rather have a White Water than either of those blocks though, or one of the new Swiftech 6000 blocks. But, any of those will do you fine. :)

OK, thanks for the input.

I decided to hold off on the NB block now and just use a regular HS+fan combo.

I'll look at the WW block, but will probably end up getting the RBX anyway. I'm not even going to look at the Cascade given the availability.

Back