Almost broken PS2; any ideas?

kronchev

[H]F Junkie
I got a PS2 from my friend that has a strange problem. It plays PS1 games perfectly, but does not read PS2 games at all...it just spins them up, slows it to a stop, spins up, slows back down, until I just eject the disc and give up.

If anyone has any ideas how to fix it tell me. I am going to try to clean the lense in a minute. It looks fine, though, not dirty.

Given that it is just a PS2, have a friend chuck it as hard as possible, and blast it to smithereens with a shotgun. It's the only thing for it.

HaMMerHeD said:
Given that it is just a PS2, have a friend chuck it as hard as possible, and blast it to smithereens with a shotgun. It's the only thing for it.

well i dont really agree with that, considering that the PS2 is one of the best selling consoles of all time.

Anyways it sounds like what was wrong with mine, all you have to do is take it apart and use a little canned air to clean out the laser in the optial drive. Put it back together and it should work pretty good.

it's the laser on the optical drive. It is either dirty or damaged. check it out.

HaMMerHeD said:
You gotta love trolls...

As for OPs situation, you gotta check the version of the PS2. Last I heard, Sony was offering to replace the lasers in later model PS2s once they started failing. If you're lucky, might just be dirty...but the PS2 laser always seems to eventually fail. :(

movax said:
You gotta love trolls...

As for OPs situation, you gotta check the version of the PS2. Last I heard, Sony was offering to replace the lasers in later model PS2s once they started failing. If you're lucky, might just be dirty...but the PS2 laser always seems to eventually fail. :(

on a side note, don't stand your PS2 up on its side as it makes the mechanism that moves the laser wear out much much quicker.

adjust the CD laser with the white gear by the laser. if that dont help crank up the DVD laser voltage. note only do this if you cant get it warrentied

Dark_fire said:
adjust the CD laser with the white gear by the laser. if that dont help crank up the DVD laser voltage. note only do this if you cant get it warrentied

lol how long are these things warrentied for anyways? I have the first version, and i have had to crack it open a few times to fix it. I dont think it is still under warrenty is it?

I had the same problem, I just bought a new one, the slimline ones are quite cheap now, and I suspect may drop lower this summer.

Mine has the opposite problem, it will play PS2 games fine, but balks at PS1 games.

There is a fix if you search on google, it involves opening it up and moving a gear slightly on the inside.

Also, if you friend didn't tell you it was fried, give it back, get your money back, and buy one new, they are only $130.

I've got the exact same problem on mine. PS1 games, CD based PS2 games, and CD's work fine, but once you try a DVD of any kind, it spits out a DRE. I've tried the gear adjustment, replacing the laser arm, and adjusting the voltage (last thing to do. If your laser wasn't dead before, this could kill it.) You might consider doing what I was planning on doing sometime this summer if nothing else works, which is looking up the laser used in your model PS2, and try and find a replacement PCB on ebay so you can refurbish the laser yourself. Seems a little risky, but there's not many other options I have right now.

EDIT: If you need to see which laser you need, check here for your version. I have a V4, which uses a KHS-400B, but is interchangeable with the KHS-400C. They don't make the 400B anymore, so there are only refurbs available. Good luck with that. I've got almost 20 PS2 games that I can't use anymore, so I guess I could just pony up for a new laser instead of trying to refurb my own, but I'm too cheap. :(

Heh, I am too cheap to buy a new PS2 as well. I am just waiting on the PS3 to play my old PS1 games again.

Back