ALIENWARE SERVERS

Here's all I gotta say about this:

Alienware with Dual 2.8's, 2GB and 73GB SCSI in a RAID1
$3325
Dell with Dual 2.8's 2GB and 7 3GB SCSI in RAID1
$2545

Both with 3 year warranties.

If you wanna spend $800 for the name, I'll spraypaint Alienware on the Dell for you, and we'll call it even.

Right now Dell is having Quadruple memory and free upgrade on their CPU's. So for $100 more you could jump both 2.8's to 3.0. And still save $700 over the Alienware.

Its not a hard decision to make for anyone in business. Alienware is for geeks, and geeks don't buy the coolest hippest hardware for datacenters, if they do, they lose their job quickly because they wasted valuable resources. Smart people buy Dell and HP for datacenters, sorry thats just the truth.

If you want to spend a lot of money on a 'render node', spend it on a company that's been doing it a hell of a lot longer than Alienware...

www.boxxtech.com

;)

thanks for the info.

im not a server person and dont really keep intouch with server stuff.
so i was just asking

THANKS FOR THE HELP :)

Inside the server market place I see absolutely no reason to purchase and Alienware server. I am going to guess that even 5 mintues with Alienware sales would show any serious server buyer this.

Sun, IBM and Dell has a server stronghold on corporations. Alienware will have to do some major publication and deal handling to get these things off thier production lines. Like said up above, an exact replica Dell would do the same thing for much less. Thanks for the link, interesting move on Alienwares behalf.

ya i dont think it is worth the 800 for the ugly case.... go ibm... sun... or even dell.... i could see a lan gaming center buying an alienware server because they want to but i think they arent really aiming these things at the corporate market, just the people that spend way to much on their marked up stuff and want a server to match their overpriced laptop and their overpriced desktop.... its not that i dont like alienware or anything.............. :rolleyes:

You'd have to have one crazy profitable LAN center. You would also have to be openly displaying your servers and not have them in an airconditioned backroom like most lan centers do. A lan center might as well buy dells, too.

But is the Dell going to last as long as Alienware's machine... :confused:

Boxx looks nice but their systems are extremely expensive, even more so than Alienware (!)... :( are they really that good?

Dell's servers are amazingly good. The swiss banks backbone is powered by them exclusively last I read. They may make questionable desktop's but they make great servers. Ditto for IBM, ok end user gear but friggin stellar server hardware. Sun still beats both IMO.

stiltner said:
Alienware is for geeks, and geeks don't buy the coolest hippest hardware for datacenters, if they do, they lose their job quickly because they wasted valuable resources. Smart people buy Dell and HP for datacenters, sorry thats just the truth.

Alienware is not for geeks. Alienware is for the people who think putting a flame decal on their car will make it go faster.

I would not buy an Alienware server, you're just paying for the name and a case. I'd also buy an HP or Dell server if I ever had the need, I don't need a colored case for a server. :p

For a high end workstation (if I didn't feel like building one), I'd totally get something like a Boxx. I used to want an SGI Onyx2, but those are a little too specialized for me.

the fact is that Alienware is a good company but expensive.

I have one and love mine.....
i got it becuase i had the money but not the time.

1c3d0g said:
But is the Dell going to last as long as Alienware's machine... :confused:

Boxx looks nice but their systems are extremely expensive, even more so than Alienware (!)... :( are they really that good?

I have two Dell servers...still in production 5 years later.

All the servers we have recently purchased, in the last year, have all come OutsideLoop.

http://www.outsideloop.com/

Their boxes have simply kicked ass. In fact, ever forum page and hardocp page served comes across one of OutsideLoop's boxes.

I see nothing wrong with a DIY mini-datacenter collection type scenario. I know they exist in many area's. Kyle just noted they used outsideloop, and I know they been around a long time.

The truth be told, the cheapest, most stable hardware you can get is always gonna be the best bet. By cheapest I mean a 1:1 comparison alongside each other.
If the week you're buying its HP, then I'd say opt for them, if its IBM (which it probably never would be, but I'm using it to prove the point) then go with them.
If a system is not OC'd, is ran within spec, and is built with quality hardware, not enthusiast level stuff that has unnecessary bells and whistles for server duties, aka you don't need a sound card in a server, you don't need a huge video card, etc etc.
When its all said and done, support, and software stability are more important than hardware. You can put together the best, most awesome box on the planet, if you run crap software on it thats poorly written and crashes often, it won't matter a lick how stable the underlying components are.

In the end though, my $ is on Dell for servers, hands down without a doubt.

stiltner said:
I see nothing wrong with a DIY mini-datacenter collection type scenario. I know they exist in many area's. Kyle just noted they used outsideloop, and I know they been around a long time.

The truth be told, the cheapest, most stable hardware you can get is always gonna be the best bet. By cheapest I mean a 1:1 comparison alongside each other.
If the week you're buying its HP, then I'd say opt for them, if its IBM (which it probably never would be, but I'm using it to prove the point) then go with them.
If a system is not OC'd, is ran within spec, and is built with quality hardware, not enthusiast level stuff that has unnecessary bells and whistles for server duties, aka you don't need a sound card in a server, you don't need a huge video card, etc etc.
When its all said and done, support, and software stability are more important than hardware. You can put together the best, most awesome box on the planet, if you run crap software on it thats poorly written and crashes often, it won't matter a lick how stable the underlying components are.

This entire thread brings me back to my old Mac support days. Rock solid workhorse boxen, Quadras, IIci's, PowerPC's, all with an OS that crashed constantly and an incredibly high price tag.

Back