Alienware AW3225QF 32" 4K 240 Hz OLED

lol those days are long gone! I still have too many monitors though - Neo G9 49", Neo G9 57", PG32UQX, AW5520QF, FI32U - probably will sell the FI32U and use the PG32UQX as the accessory display and put this OLED 240Hz as the main. hmm.. You get yours yet? How're you liking it?

How do you drive a Neo G9 effectively for gaming? I think this would be ideal for race and flight sims but I’m not sure how the hell I could get decent fps in dual 4K. As someone who owns one already, do you have any insight you could please share?

Thanks!

How do you drive a Neo G9 effectively for gaming? I think this would be ideal for race and flight sims but I’m not sure how the hell I could get decent fps in dual 4K. As someone who owns one already, do you have any insight you could please share?

Thanks!
An RTX 4090 :p, and optimized game graphics settings.

So I've had this monitor for a few days now. I really wanted to like it but after getting used to a 42" C2 I just can't make the switch. It's main use is for gaming and the 42" is just way more immersive. The 32" AW is just there in front of me but with the 42" I feel like I'm in the game. Most AAA games aren't hitting 240hz anyway so it didn't matter much. The C2 just feels better. Anyway, I'll be returning this and waiting for a 240hz 40-42" monitor to replace the C2.
I, like you have a hard time going back down to smaller sizes. Once I got used to the brilliant 50" QN90B everything else feels small. While being a hair too big. No matter how much I tried to go back down to a 43 with other displays they always felt to small. I also tried a 55 which was actually too big. I think a 48 inch would be perfect for me but my preferred display didn't come in 48.

An RTX 4090 :p, and optimized game graphics settings.

So would you be leveraging tech like DLSS to make that work? Would it make sense just to wait for next gen graphics cards? Could I even hope to run something like that on a 7900xt?

Thanks!

RTX 4090 and games like Anno 1800 or Diablo IV work fine at full resolution. However, games like GTA V etc. just crumble (w/ mods) at that res so I honestly just play those games on my other rig w/ the PG32UQX (4K 144Hz). For most recent AAA games, DLSS is a must (Alan Wake 2 etc.). Older FPS games work great and are immersive (BF1, BFV, BF4, CoD MWII or MWIII).

The Neo G9 49" is on my MBP so it's mainly for non-gaming stuff. Neo G9 57" is a mix of productivity and gaming but yea, most recent AAA games ain't running anywhere near dual 4K @ 120Hz (have to use 120Hz since I have a 4090 and it doesn't have DP 2.1).

I about to order this 4K 240Hz QD-OLED but just saw the Samsung Neo G8 - not sure which one to get now. lol

HDMI is borked and needs a firmware update
And I have read that dell hasn’t said or done anything in that direction to show it’s broken. I’ve seen them tell customers that their PC is the issue. Don’t have trust that it will be fixed anytime soon.

And I have read that dell hasn’t said or done anything in that direction to show it’s broken. I’ve seen them tell customers that their PC is the issue. Don’t have trust that it will be fixed anytime soon.
Nope, thats why I would just use DP and be done with it......but hey im in perpetual in production so it doesnt matter....in production in production in production BOOM BADAAHH BADDAHHH BOOM TISSSS!

Nope, thats why I would just use DP and be done with it......but hey im in perpetual in production so it doesnt matter....in production in production in production BOOM BADAAHH BADDAHHH BOOM TISSSS!

The shipping date was moved to Feb. 6.

Post some pics of the monitor ffs - i.e. real world usage setups etc. :)

Just got the monitor yesterday.

Looks smaller next to the PG32UQX but love the picture quality of the OLED obviously.

EDIT: why do IMGUR images not work here?

Last edited:

Looks smaller next to the PG32UQX but love the picture quality of the OLED obviously.

I've always used post image here...or directly placed pic in message

Last edited:

How does the HDR performance compare between the two? I planned on jumping on the first flat panel version of this monitor to come to market, but I'm having second thoughts after seeing some of the brightness measurements... 10% window measurements looks terrible. Worse than even the C2...

Try the "Media" button next to the smiley face icon and paste the imgur link to that. Imgur can be weird where sometimes the direct image links can get blocked.

How does the HDR performance compare between the two? I planned on jumping on the first flat panel version of this monitor to come to market, but I'm having second thoughts after seeing some of the brightness measurements... 10% window measurements looks terrible. Worse than even the C2...
That is unfortunately a problem with small OLEDs, particularly QD-OLEDs at this point. Their brightness drops off fast, much faster than an OLED TV does. It's one of the reasons I went with the ASUS version of your monitor a few months ago rather than wait for these. Despite the peak brightness they still only get a TrueBlack 400 cert because of the brightness drop. I'm hoping they figure it out in future generations of the tech.

I got mine yesterday so far my thoughts vs my old G8 NEO 4k240:

AW32:

Pros
- Motion clarity is crisp as fuck!
- HDR in light control room is awesome but I had to roll back old drivers due to nvidia bug
- I like the curve
- Colors are great
- Semi Glossy AG is great

Cons
- Dim as fuck in bright room
- Need to run text scaling at 125% or more due to oled pixel grid
- Not ideal for work productivity

G8 NEO:

Pros
-Text clarity better at 100%
- SDR better in bright room
- I prefer for work productivity
- Don't have to stress about burn in and can operate your computer like a human (taskbars, icons, backgrounds)

Cons
- Curve to aggressive
- AG coating to aggressive
- VA drawbacks
- Scanlines

CONCLUSION:
For gaming the AW32 is epic and edges out the G8 in a light controlled room. But when you add up all the G8's pros it comes to about equal 50/50 vs the AW32 if you only have room for one on your desk.

For gaming the AW32 is epic and edges out the G8 in a light controlled room. But when you add up all the G8's pros it comes to about equal 50/50 vs the AW32 if you only have room for one on your desk.
This kind of summarizes well why all my attempts to replace my C2s with something else so far has failed (including the C3 because of undefeatable ASBL). Even though I have room for a dedicated "gaming setup", I refuse to as a casual gamer.

Ever considered getting the Neo G9 57" instead?

This kind of summarizes well why all my attempts to replace my C2s with something else so far has failed (including the C3 because of undefeatable ASBL). Even though I have room for a dedicated "gaming setup", I refuse to as a casual gamer.

Ever considered getting the Neo G9 57" instead?

Im thinking about the G9 57 as it would be an absolute beast for work productivity....but lack of dp 2.1 right now is a deal killer and im not willing to step down from a 4090 to a 7900xtx

The AW32 is amazing, but for all around gaming + work productivity id have to go with the G8.

Then again the aw32 is spoiling me on levels I dont even realize like screen uniformity

That is unfortunately a problem with small OLEDs, particularly QD-OLEDs at this point. Their brightness drops off fast, much faster than an OLED TV does. It's one of the reasons I went with the ASUS version of your monitor a few months ago rather than wait for these. Despite the peak brightness they still only get a TrueBlack 400 cert because of the brightness drop. I'm hoping they figure it out in future generations of the tech.

I don't think they will. That's like asking an LCD to have response times on the same level as OLED. Sure it can get close, but will it ever truly reach sub 1ms on all transitions? Highly doubtful. OLEDs can probably push the 1-3% or maybe 10% window up to thousands of nits sure, but the ABL will probably always kick it back down to under 500 nits once you reach full field white.

HDR is meh compared to the PG32UQX. Games that utilize it well (BF1, Cyberpunk 2077) look incredible on the Asus monitor. However, if I could have just one monitor, I'd obviously recommend the Alienware AW3225QF mainly due to OLED, 240Hz. The curve is okay (would've preferred flat tbh). l88bastard is correct - in a bright room, the monitor positively looks dim which sucks.

Also, on a side note, whoever designed the stand for Asus monitors needs to have their head beaten in. Looks fugly and is beyond useless. The AW fit & finish looks better even though it's plastic. It can also sit way lower than the Asus (due to the stand).

BUG ALERT: When using the AW with DP 1.4 and you have it at 240Hz in NVCP and have HDR turned on in Windows 11, starting the PC back up (in the morning) makes it default to 120Hz which is retarded. You have to disable HDR in Windows, go into the AW menu, turn OFF HDR in the monitor menu, then turn it back on, then turn on HDR again in Windows and now you can set 240Hz.

Searching online for a solution yielded this: https://www.dell.com/community/en/c...ts-with-120hz-active/65a48c24896bf44a6cea740f

Definitely needs a firmware update. Is everyone else using DP 1.4 or HDMI 2.1? From that thread above, looks like HDMI 2.1 does not have this issue. I just spent a ton of time doing cable management for my rig - not about to redo all that shiet just to swap to a HDMI 2.1 cable.

IMG_8213.jpg

IMG_8215.jpg

IMG_8217.jpg

Reactions: Xar
like this
I don't think they will. That's like asking an LCD to have response times on the same level as OLED. Sure it can get close, but will it ever truly reach sub 1ms on all transitions? Highly doubtful. OLEDs can probably push the 1-3% or maybe 10% window up to thousands of nits sure, but the ABL will probably always kick it back down to under 500 nits once you reach full field white.
Oh I'm not expecting them to get huge full-field numbers, what I'm hoping is they can bring those 10-20% numbers up, because that's what you tend to get as "real scene" brightness. While full-field brightness can be used for some cool effects, I'm not that fussed about it, I just want nice bright highlights without the picture getting dimmed down. I think they will improve on that, TVs have managed to improve on that a lot despite not pushing up the full field brightness a ton.

Yea the AW32 owns the night and or a dim room like a vampire and is incredible, but for daylight use I recommend a second MiniLed monitor.

Obviously the PG32UQX if you have the bucks, but if you don't the Innocn 27" 4k160 does a wonderful job for work productivity and surfing....and I find the extra 16hz over the PG32 helpful! At least thats what the chatterbate girls say!

I would say the G8 neo falls in between...its like the mediocre bridge that covers the most bases but is master of nothing haha.

Here is my ghetto surround setup....im considering ditching the innocn and laptop for a g9 57
1707015907063.png

But his room has a LOT of potential to be fair. I could do wonders with that space especially with the desk center against the wall in between the two backlighted windows.

Im thinking about the G9 57 as it would be an absolute beast for work productivity....but lack of dp 2.1 right now is a deal killer and im not willing to step down from a 4090 to a 7900xtx
Why since you could do both work at native resolution in 120 hz while still doing 4K gaming in 240 hz just as on any 4K monitor with your 4090 (being the same as a 32")? PQ would of course be worse than OLED, at least for entertainment.

Yea the AW32 owns the night and or a dim room like a vampire and is incredible, but for daylight use I recommend a second MiniLed monitor.

Obviously the PG32UQX if you have the bucks, but if you don't the Innocn 27" 4k160 does a wonderful job for work productivity and surfing....and I find the extra 16hz over the PG32 helpful! At least thats what the chatterbate girls say!

I would say the G8 neo falls in between...its like the mediocre bridge that covers the most bases but is master of nothing haha.

Here is my ghetto surround setup....im considering ditching the innocn and laptop for a g9 57
View attachment 632570
Be careful, the grass isn't always greener. For work yea but for gaming that resolution is a Not supported well and is terribly taxing on the GPU. Those 2 strikes against it are more than enough to avoid it.

Be careful, the grass isn't always greener. For work yea but for gaming that resolution is a Not supported well and is terribly taxing on the GPU. Those 2 strikes against it are more than enough to avoid it.

I'm not getting rid of the Alienware 4k240 Oled, that thing is a fucking beast for gaming.

I use a Innocn 27" 4k160 miniled for work productivity and was using the G8 as the work overflow / gaming monitor next to it.

I thought the AW32 could take the G8's place for the work overflow, but it is TERRIBLE for work productivity lol....its too dim, way to dim to use in a bright room....especially when its next to the miniLED switching windows between the two is jarring.

I was going to ditch the innocn and replace it with a G9-57 but I am concerned over the failure rates I read about in disgruntled reviews, lack of 4k240 support with my 4090 and two grand is a bit much when I see they are willing to sell them for $1500 to EDU people....if the price fell down to $1500 for us plebs I might be tempted.

Instead, I bought Vegas second Innocn 4k160 for $299 and he has another one to sell because he has his fourth baby on the way, so PM him well wishes!

Well, RTINGS just posted their review of this monitor. Other than the lack of BFI this thing basically smokes everything else that's been on offer. Yep - I mean what I say. Extremely good grey uniformity, perfect black uniformity, near perfect color accuracy, infinite contrast, 4K, 240hz. Like I said lack of BFI is the only strike I can personally find against this monitor.

Well, RTINGS just posted their review of this monitor. Other than the lack of BFI this thing basically smokes everything else that's been on offer. Yep - I mean what I say. Extremely good grey uniformity, perfect black uniformity, near perfect color accuracy, infinite contrast, 4K, 240hz. Like I said lack of BFI is the only strike I can personally find against this monitor.
Smokes everything except for HDR performance that is.

1707243869478.png

These QD OLED monitors get their brightness levels nerfed too hard compared to TVs.

Ah yes. Forgot about brightness. I'm still in SDR land so I don't really care too much about that. Most of my uses don't need HDR but good point.

Asus might have the brightest QD OLED monitor just like how they have the brightest WOLED if they're willing to drive it harder. But since Asus only offers a 2 year burn in warranty instead of 3 years like MSI, and combined with the ROG tax making Asus more expensive I'm just gonna stick with MSI. Here's the post where they state 3 year burn in warranty:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gamin.../?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

EDIT: Officially confirmed by Dell: https://www.dell.com/community/en/c...vision/65cf5607a3d9be2bac6a3509?keyword=Aw322

Dell support said this morning that there is some work being done regarding the Dolby Vision bug. Take it with a grain of salt, but since Asus has announced Dolby Vision firmware for their PG32UCGM in H12024 with toggle on/off feature, I think Dell is likely to do the same, but they really should announce plans prior to the 30 day return window approaching next week.
Screenshot 2024-02-06 093050.png
Screenshot 2024-02-06 093119.png
Screenshot 2024-02-06 101958.png

Last edited:
Back