Alan Wake 2

After watching reviews from ACG, GmanLives, and Luke Stephens, my excitement for this sequel has pretty much been crushed. I'll probably end up buying it just for the graphics, but the game itself looks mediocre at best.

ok downloading 80 gb s, with my transfer 8 hours lol
Don't worry takes me about 15 hours for a game this size then I'll backup the install incase it fits corrupted down the road. I know Epic doesn't a file verify with their launcher.

Reactions: hu76
like this
After watching reviews from ACG, GmanLives, and Luke Stephens, my excitement for this sequel has pretty much been crushed. I'll probably end up buying it just for the graphics, but the game itself looks mediocre at best.
Your username is just so appropriate.

Price was so low on EGS that I decided to purchase it. Wonder if epic has a download limiter on their side as download speed is at around 50 :(

I updated to the drivers released for this game and got my first ever black screen on my 4090 while waiting for shaders to build in Last of Us.

I updated to the drivers released for this game and got my first ever black screen on my 4090 while waiting for shaders to build in Last of Us.
I've seen several people can't even launch AW2. And some more people can launch, but get stuck at the company intro screens.

I've seen several people can't even launch AW2. And some more people can launch, but get stuck at the company intro screens.
Well shit I get the following when I try to launch it.

The game failed to connect or authenticate with your Epic account. Third-party overlays may prevent the game from resolving this issue. Please try disabling third-party overlays temporarily and restart the game.

Well shit I get the following when I try to launch it.

The game failed to connect or authenticate with your Epic account. Third-party overlays may prevent the game from resolving this issue. Please try disabling third-party overlays temporarily and restart the game.
so no msi ab?

Runs very well so far, tested the forest and city in the beginning of the game. Playing with DLDSR @ 5120 x 2880 (DLDSR sharpness slider at 60) and DLSS performance completely maxed out + frame generation. To my surprise compared to 4K + DLSS quality I lose 20fps, although internal rending is 1440p on both, but image quality and sharpness looks way better with DLDSR. I still get 60-75FPS in the forest and 75-90 in the city with DLDSR and frame gen and it still feels and plays great.

FSR is very bad in this game IMO. There is so much more shimmering going on, even at 4K FSR quality compared to DLSS, it's sad.

Ray Reconstruction seems to be really good in this game and way better than Cyberpunk in terms of "oil paint" look and ghosting, even at lower res.

Runs very well so far, tested the forest and city in the beginning of the game. Playing with DLDSR @ 5120 x 2880 (DLDSR sharpness slider at 60) and DLSS performance completely maxed out + frame generation. To my surprise compared to 4K + DLSS quality I lose 20fps, although internal rending is 1440p on both, but image quality and sharpness looks way better with DLDSR. I still get 60-75FPS in the forest and 75-90 in the city with DLDSR and frame gen and it still feels and plays great.

FSR is very bad in this game IMO. There is so much more shimmering going on, even at 4K FSR quality compared to DLSS, it's sad.

Ray Reconstruction seems to be really good in this game and way better than Cyberpunk in terms of "oil paint" look and ghosting, even at lower res.
nice , is msi ab working and fps showing?

Runs good enough with my 4080 at 1440. Frame gen helps here a lot to keep it playable at DLSS quality and max settings.

Generally, really impressed so far. I'm liking the detective/horror thing going on, and the graphics are pretty mind blowing. It's not in your face like Cyberpunk for the graphics, but when you sit there and look at how realistic the shadows and lighting look it's light-years beyond anything else right now.

Reactions: lors
like this
I suppose I should start downloading this thing. Just started the Keto diet today so I I can Wake like Alan.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/alan-wake-2-performance-benchmark/

There's several useful settings that are not configurable in the game's settings:
Alan Wake 2's config files are located at %LOCALAPPDATA%\Remedy\AlanWake2, the config file is named renderer.ini.
  • m_bVignette: set this to "false" to disable vignetting
  • m_bDepthOfField: set this to "false" to disable depth of field
  • m_bLensDistortion: set this to "false" to disable lens distortion
  • Once you've disabled those three, and set film grain (m_bFilmGrain) and motion blur (m_eMotionBlur) to disabled in the settings, the game will look MUCH sharper. This will help upscalers do their job and result in a much more stable image, without jitter.
  • m_eSSAAMethod: This lets you select the upscaler. Officially you can only choose between DLSS and FSR. By modifying the ini you can select other options too: 0=Native, 1=FXAA?, 2=DLSS, 3=FSR
  • There is no in-game sharpening slider for DLSS and FSR. Here you can set m_fSSAASharpening to enable and control the amount of sharpening applied after upscaling
  • Last but not least, we have m_fFieldOfViewMultiplier, which defaults to "1.0." Increase it to make the field of view wider. Another setting that's not exposed in the game menu.
VRAM usage
vram.png

Last edited:
You guys playing with controllers wondering if the game has PS5 prompts or just X-BOX prompts.
I wanted to get a Steam controller but I see they stopped making them for some reason now people like picking them up on ebay.

Last edited:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/alan-wake-2-performance-benchmark/

There's several useful settings that are not configurable in the game's settings:
Alan Wake 2's config files are located at %LOCALAPPDATA%\Remedy\AlanWake2, the config file is named renderer.ini.
  • m_bVignette: set this to "false" to disable vignetting
  • m_bDepthOfField: set this to "false" to disable depth of field
  • m_bLensDistortion: set this to "false" to disable lens distortion
  • Once you've disabled those three, and set film grain (m_bFilmGrain) and motion blur (m_eMotionBlur) to disabled in the settings, the game will look MUCH sharper. This will help upscalers do their job and result in a much more stable image, without jitter.
  • m_eSSAAMethod: This lets you select the upscaler. Officially you can only choose between DLSS and FSR. By modifying the ini you can select other options too: 0=Native, 1=FXAA?, 2=DLSS, 3=FSR
  • There is no in-game sharpening slider for DLSS and FSR. Here you can set m_fSSAASharpening to enable and control the amount of sharpening applied after upscaling
  • Last but not least, we have m_fFieldOfViewMultiplier, which defaults to "1.0." Increase it to make the field of view wider. Another setting that's not exposed in the game menu.

Thanks a bunch of those are immediate disables for me, was hoping it would be simple to get rid of them if not included in options.

It annoys me in a 3rd person game when I can’t turn the camera around and see the front of my character because the camera auto-adjusts so that I’m always looking at my character’s crack.

In this game it’s particularly egregious because even when the character is stationary I still can’t pan the camera around to the front.

Remedy has never done this before. I’m really disappointed.

You guys playing with controllers wondering if the game has PS5 prompts or just X-BOX prompts.
I wanted to get a Steam controller but I see they stopped making them for some reason now people like picking them up on ebay.
The game has full DualSense support, and the icons are appropriate.

If I had to choose one controller on PC I would choose DualSense. Even though it doesn't have 100% out of the box support with some titles - With a little effort you can get it working with everything. Also, the games with DualSense support are absolutely worth playing with it. The haptic feedback, force triggers, and touchpad are amazing in games that use it properly.

Only thing that sucks with DualSense though is that the DualSense special features only work on PC when it's plugged in. Wireless it just works like any generic bluetooth controller. I really wish Sony would release a PC wireless dongle that enabled the thing to work wireless with full support.

It annoys me in a 3rd person game when I can’t turn the camera around and see the front of my character because the camera auto-adjusts so that I’m always looking at my character’s crack.

In this game it’s particularly egregious because even when the character is stationary I still can’t pan the camera around to the front.

Remedy has never done this before. I’m really disappointed.

Lol they do that with the main character in RE8 and I still keep trying to beat it like

1698424537708.png

Remedy Entertainment has provided more details on the two upcoming story DLC's...the 2nd DLC is strongly hinting at a Control crossover and sounds like the better one...

Expansion 1 – Night Springs

-Visions and dreams. Fiction is written and coming true. Fiction collapses and remains just words on a page. These are those stories… in Night Springs
-Play as several familiar characters from the world of Alan Wake and experience the unexplainable in multiple self-contained episodes of Night Springs, a fictional tv-show set in the world of Alan Wake

Expansion 2 – The Lake House

-The Lake House is a mysterious facility situated on the shores of Cauldron Lake set up by an independent government organization to conduct secret research… until something goes wrong
-Explore the Lake House and embark on two separate adventures as the realities of Saga Anderson and Alan Wake collide again

Punditry developed a way to say 847p to make it sound like if it was not quite low res.

Also if the real world performance do not match at all the video game company released recommanded specs that give more reason to the panic about them being perceived as unreasonable than not....

Punditry developed a way to say 847p to make it sound like if it was not quite low res.

Also if the real world performance do not match at all the video game company released recommanded specs that give more reason to the panic about them being perceived as unreasonable than not....
The game pretty much runs exactly as it should with each given GPU and max settings. A 4090 is great for 4k, a 4080 for 1440, so on.

The game pretty much runs exactly as it should with each given GPU and max settings. A 4090 is great for 4k, a 4080 for 1440, so on.
I am referring too:
https://i.redd.it/b1wm3imc2evb1.jpg

Remedy said it would take a 3070 to play at 60 fps with a 540p, medium setting and no RT and people reacted that looked like an engine heavy to run for what it give.

The fact that Remedy was wrong and it is not at all the case give reason to the people that reacted not the other way around, they were 100% right .

This is why I bought a 4080 versus a 7900xtx.. It's not many games it was worth it, but for those few it was.

yeah just for Cyberpunk 2077 Overdrive and Alan Wake 2 the 4080/4090 is worth it...I'm still on a 3080 and was going to wait for the 5000 series before upgrading but am seriously considering upgrading to the 4080 Super

Alan Wake 2 is a stunning example of what the future of PC gaming looks like—but only on Nvidia

https://www.pcgamer.com/alan-wake-2...re-of-pc-gaming-looks-likebut-only-on-nvidia/
WTF, article is dead wrong "To play Alan Wake 2 on an AMD graphics card, you're left with only one real option: turn all the settings down a notch or three."
  • 7900 XTX at 4K, FSR quality, Ultra no RT, HDR
    • In town, less taxing -> 85 - 90 FPS
    • In Forest, if I remember right, 70 - 75fps
  • W/O FSR at 4K above settings in town -> ~ 60fps
Game looks fantastic, yes RT does make it look better and AMD cards probably should not apply but the differences to me are not that great. Also looks like if you spent $ on last gen Nvidia cards, RT also does not apply. And yes FSR sucks but in my case the added performance outweighs the sucky FSR quality. HDR is really good in this game, that makes this game really shine over SDR. For LG Oled owners, turn on HGiG on the TV.

WTF, article is dead wrong "To play Alan Wake 2 on an AMD graphics card, you're left with only one real option: turn all the settings down a notch or three."
FSR is low quality so it alone is a notch or three, but no raytracing is a huge notch too. Article is accurate.

Game looks fantastic, yes RT does make it look better and AMD cards probably should not apply but the differences to me are not that great.
idk man RTX lighting looks quite a bit better..

DaifPCiR_t.jpg 9CGNM5Ns_t.jpg

Back