Alan Wake 2

I don't really care what store the game is in, but I'll probably avoid buying this game right away just because I have so many other games to play right now. I can't recall having so many (good) games all hitting at once. I figure that'll give Alan Wake 2 time to get some patches and come down in price.
It’s an onslaught of games.

BG3, Starfield, Phantom Liberty, Assassin’s Creed Mirage, Alan Wake 2, the Avatar game… about a dozen others.

I love it when a gamer complains about the terrible state of gaming… find a new hobby maybe? LOL.

I love it when a gamer complains about the terrible state of gaming… find a new hobby maybe? LOL.
I'm happy that there are more interesting games coming out now, but let's not pretend that the 2.5 year drought didn't happen before it, OK? Last time I had more than one game on my plate was in 2020.

I'm happy that there are more interesting games coming out now, but let's not pretend that the 2.5 year drought didn't happen before it, OK? Last time I had more than one game on my plate was in 2020.
This actually sucks worse because it's such a huge pile-on of releases. Not so much for gamers as it's devs that are going to miss a lot of sales because the competition is so fierce.

Reactions: M76
like this
This actually sucks worse because it's such a huge pile-on of releases. Not so much for gamers as it's devs that are going to miss a lot of sales because the competition is so fierce.
Sucks for developers, if it came out any other time I'd have certainly purchased Phantom Liberty, but as it released directly on top of Starfield I put off buying it, and now it is even sold out so I can't buy it even if I wanted to. Unless I fess up the official GOG store price, which I'm certainly not doing while I have other games to play.

Sucks for developers, if it came out any other time I'd have certainly purchased Phantom Liberty, but as it released directly on top of Starfield I put off buying it, and now it is even sold out so I can't buy it even if I wanted to. Unless I fess up the official GOG store price, which I'm certainly not doing while I have other games to play.
Yeah I got Starfield off of gamepass. Been enjoying those deals where you can just pay for one month to play new releases. Worked well so far for the DS remake/Jedi Survivor as well. Wish I had that option for AW2.

It’s an onslaught of games.

BG3, Starfield, Phantom Liberty, Assassin’s Creed Mirage, Alan Wake 2, the Avatar game… about a dozen others.

Lords of the Fallen!...as a Souls fan this is one of my most anticipated games of 2023

but yeah I need to prioritize which games to play first- Cyberpunk 2077 (plus Phantom Liberty) tops the list as I put off playing the base game waiting for patches, optimization and bug fixes...Alan Wake 2 looks really good (especially with path tracing)...I'm actually glad Forbidden West PC is not coming out until early 2024 as it gives me more time to clear some of my backlog

Metro Exodus appeared elsewhere because it was not decided to be an EGS exclusive until very late in the pre-order campagin. Those who pre-ordered before the announcement could still activate the game on steam when it released. But those who didn't preorder soon enough were stuck on EGS

But you said your issue was with store exclusivity, not the client exclusivity.

Later exclusive games did not appear on 3rd party stores for a long period after that.

I don't recall that. Most of the next "exclusive" games like Borderlands had multiple store options like Humble and GMG at release. I think the only one that had a delay was Metro Exodus, and that showed up very quickly on GMG and Humble. Within two weeks, I cannot recall if exactly on release date day. Again I think it had more to do with them exchanging keys and getting the distribution of EGS rather than Steam keys in place. I would put the blame on Metro's publisher because doing that at the last minute was not a wise move. If anything you should be boycotting Deep Silver and/or 4A Games because any such decision was ultimately in their control, and not anyone else.

They also made a big kerfuffle about lowering the price of Metro Exodus to $50 to show how "good" they were, while for EU customers they hiked the price to €70 silently.

I do like how Alan Wake 2 is $50 instead of $70. They are at least passing the savings onto gamers and aren't bothering with physical releases, although I think for console gamers a physical option for $70 instead of $60 would have been a nice option.

I always hated Steam's $1 = €1 policy

That is more of a tax issue. Most European countries have something like an insane 20% sales tax that has to be rolled into the price. So a $100 item is listed as $120, even though $20 of that is in sales tax. A $60 game in the US is actually $60, and if you have sales tax you add that to the total. A 60 Euro item in most European countries is actually a 48 Euro item, assuming the total tax/VAT is 20%, the exact amount will of course vary. They just embed the sales tax/VAT into item price to make you forget how insane your taxes are. And I assume the stores don't want to list an uneven price of something like 53.12 Euros. So they just round up the price/tax combination to 55 Euros (or whatever the final number is) further increasing the price you pay to get the neat looking price tag. I also assume they price games more at German/French income levels. Consider that a downside of having one currency for many countries with large income differences.

A $60 game on Steam is $60 for me. If I lived in Washington, I would have to pay around $66 because they charge sales tax on digital items for some reason.

You are grasping at straws here. First off that's such an outlier since the online launcher market hasn't even been established back then, there were no other stores to speak of online.

So what is it? Client, store, online only store, or stores with physical store fronts and digital store fronts? Your issue seems to stem from a game being sold on one store only, even if for a brief period, and not the client. At least according to your posts. I would argue selling a game exclusively on a digital only store back in 2004 was a bigger issue because as you mentioned it was not an established market back then. Now days most people buy PC games online, and the "major hurdle" is typing in a different URL/google search to find the store before purchasing and everyone is comfortable and familiar with buying online.

IDK if you know this but when you buy a steam key outside of steam valve doesn't get a cut.

About this, Valve will cut off Steam keys if they are not getting paid for the sales. They give some leeway but if you sell elsewhere like a developer's website directly, they will cut off key distribution until the game is also selling on Steam itself. They will also stop allowing keys to be redeemed on Steam if purchased elsewhere. For example if a developer sells a game cheaper on their own web store to reflect the fee difference, Valve may stop allowing those keys to redeem on Steam. Understandably they are not going to let people sell games off of Steam and redeem them on Steam. They would loose money if they made no profit per sale but had to handle downloads. No one would buy on Steam because it is more expensive than buying direct.

I can think of one recent game that was forced to stop producing Steam keys (until sold on Steam), and one that was forced to separate their own store keys from Steam.

As for fees I believe each Steamworks sale has a small margin that Valve takes regardless of the store a game is bought from. But that may be only for certain Steamworks features. The keys themselves are free (as long as Valve allows generation of them).

Speak for yourself, I had plenty of interesting new games to play. Although looking back a number were console ports, but since I'm a PC gamer only the original console releases are irrelevant to me.

FF7 Remake
Spider Man
Spider Man Miles Morales
Uncharted 4
Far Cry 6
Dying Light 2
Atomic Heart
Dead Island 2
Hogwarts Legacy
Resident Evil 4
Tiny Tina's Wonderlands <--- this one is kind of meh
Elden Ring
Star Wars Jedi Survivor

I'm sure I am missing some others.

Last edited:
FF7 Remake - never played a FF game in my life, except for XV on PC which I hated
Spider Man - loved it, but only for one playthrough which equated to 30ish hours, maybe 40 tops
Spider Man Miles Morales - may grab on a good sale
Uncharted 4 - don't know the first thing about Uncharted, only just recently picked up a PS5 to play Demons Souls
Far Cry 6 - absolute trash, worst of the series by a lightyear, I'll fight over it
Dying Light 2 - Couldn't get into the first one beyond 15 or so hours, this one was more poorly reviewed
Atomic Heart - Actually quite enjoyed the demo, may pick up on sale
Dead Island 2 - I liked the first one, didn't finish it though, I guess this formula is tired to me at this point
Hogwarts Legacy - Was enamored at first with all the lore and wonder, quickly devolved into a substance-less Ubisoft-like rinse and repeat yada yada
Resident Evil 4 - Man, so much anticipation on this one, RE4 is top 3 for me, it just didn't do it, was bored halfway through my second playthrough
Tiny Tina's Wonderlands - Probably the best game on this list for me lol, super slept on imo

If this is all we have to be into in the last 2.5 years I kind of agree with M76, but what about ER and RE8?

Anyway, I really really want to play this, but am also in the fuck EGS club. Hopefully by the time I build my next gen nVidia card rig it'll be on Steam.

Speak for yourself, I had plenty of interesting new games to play. Although looking back a number were console ports, but since I'm a PC gamer only the original console releases are irrelevant to me.

FF7 Remake
Spider Man
Spider Man Miles Morales
Uncharted 4
Far Cry 6
Dying Light 2

Atomic Heart
Dead Island 2
Hogwarts Legacy

Resident Evil 4
Tiny Tina's Wonderlands

I'm sure I am missing some others.
TBH, I've Crossed out the games on that list that don't spark an ounce of interest in me.

However Elden Ring should be on that list.

the problem with new releases nowadays is that they are in such bad shape at launch that you need to add an additional 3-4 months post-release for it get in reasonably good shape...I wanted to buy Atomic Heart, Returnal, Lies of P, Last of Us Part 1 at launch and all had varying degrees of issues...Atomic Heart (no ray tracing support even though it was heavily marketed pre-release), Returnal (stuttering), Last of Us (performance/optimization), Lies of P (lack of full kb/m rebinding)...not to mention Gotham Knights, Hogwarts Legacy etc...the game I most want to play now is a game from 3 years ago- Cyberpunk 2077

I played Jedi: Survivor shortly after launch and loved it despite it having some performance issues...but the gameplay and story were first rate

If this is all we have to be into in the last 2.5 years I kind of agree with M76, but what about ER and RE8?

Of course all games are subjective. It is very possible that you don't like any of those games and that is perfectly fine. But they were highly praised games in general. I forgot about Elden Ring because that doesn't interest me in the slightest, as do any other "Souls" game. But you can easily throw that on the list as well even if I have little to zero interest in it. I have even less interest in Baldurs Gate 3.

But IMO it is hard to say there was a drought of good games released, there were plenty of good ones.

Going forward to me it more or less looks the same. Some interesting ones to me, some uninteresting ones, so games I feel will be delayed again, and games on the horizon but probably far from release.

Of course all games are subjective. It is very possible that you don't like any of those games and that is perfectly fine. But they were highly praised games in general. I forgot about Elden Ring because that doesn't interest me in the slightest, as do any other "Souls" game. But you can easily throw that on the list as well even if I have little to zero interest in it. I have even less interest in Baldurs Gate 3.

But IMO it is hard to say there was a drought of good games released, there were plenty of good ones.

Going forward to me it more or less looks the same. Some interesting ones to me, some uninteresting ones, so games I feel will be delayed again, and games on the horizon but probably far from release.
I’m having a hard time getting into BG3, but I would highly encourage you to play Elden Ring. It was my first souls game and it took probably 20 hours of figuring things out to even begin to be marginally successful, but it ended up being the most rewarding game I’ve ever played. Might be my favorite game of all time.

I think we can all agree however that this is an amazing time to be a gamer. Lots of absolute bangers out now and on the horizon.

it's not going to be a tech showcase like Cyberpunk 2077 but it should be a different kind of eye candy with Alan Wake 2 path tracing

it's not going to be a tech showcase like Cyberpunk 2077 but it should be a different kind of eye candy with Alan Wake 2 path tracing

We live in a time of Games as a Service. Cyberpunk was nothing to even applaud at launch IMO for all it's calamity, Overdrive mode wasn't included then, nor ray-reconstruction, compared to the showcase example it is today. Alan Wake is coming out the gate with impressive eye candy as you mentioned, let's see how it is and what it now has 2 years after launch when it's out of beta like every other game now 🙃

Yeah it probably wont be an unoptimized stuttering shitshow like it is with so many AMD sponsored games.

Yeah, it would make no sense to spend more money on a console version of this game and get a way worse graphical experience than if you have a decent PC. Well at least if you have high-end Nvidia card as this looks to be almost an Nvidia tech showcase on top of being a good game.

I think I'll pick this up on Epic it's 10.00 cheaper than the digital PS5 version. I never played Alan Wake really I forgot why. I know for a fact it won't be on Steam for at least a year.

prepurchase.jpg

Wonder if this is just cosmetic? Looks like a Stint Pack Stick and some Healing Pills from Max Payne.
I wonder if this game is going to be any better than Back 4 Blood that was he shortest lived survival game that wasn't bad actually but short lived.

Last edited:
I think I'll pick this up on Epic it's 10.00 cheaper than the digital PS5 version. I never played Alan Wake really I forgot why. I know for a fact it won't be on Steam for at least a year.
If you've never played the first game but are still thinking about it, it's under 10 bucks for the remastered version on epic right now.

Control's requirements were quite high also, while the graphics was mediocre at best despite ray tracing. I'd expect the same here. Maybe by the time the exclusivity is up and it is sold for pennies on steam I'll have a new GPU that will run it decently.

Control's requirements were quite high also, while the graphics was mediocre at best despite ray tracing. I'd expect the same here. Maybe by the time the exclusivity is up and it is sold for pennies on steam I'll have a new GPU that will run it decently.
Control actually is fine, without Ray Tracing. Hell, you can even do 1080p/60 with RT reflections, on a 6600 XT.

Alan Wake's non-RT requirements are kinda nuts.

Looks like they really like Zen 2 lol Which is good for me though. But i suppose this is because that's essentially what's in the ps5/xbox series. There's no way i'd run the ultra/High preset's with 16 gb ram. That should be 32 gb. Though remedy may prove me wrong. Also i see 1440p doesn't have a rt recommendation. I wonder why?:confused: (I'll let y'all figure that one out):D I like that it's 90 gb and not 190 gb. Pretty good job there. Overall looks like i can run it at 30-40 med/rt low on my 3060 ti. without DLSS. But these pc game hardware recommendation's that come out smh. They need to get one of us from [H] to do it imo.

If they targeted 30fps on a xbox X on a dynamic 900p-1400p, we should expect those kinds of requirement on the pc side.

Also i see 1440p doesn't have a rt recommendation.
Not without RT has well, the highest resolution on that table seem to be around 1080p (it goes from 540p for 1080p with DLSS in performance mode, to 835p for 1440p in dlss balanced mode or 1080p for 4k DLSS quality mode), if I am not misreading it, it is so complicated that I am 80% certain I am

Control actually is fine, without Ray Tracing. Hell, you can even do 1080p/60 with RT reflections, on a 6600 XT.

Alan Wake's non-RT requirements are kinda nuts.
Yeah I ran it native with no RT and it ran great. Seems very doubtful AW2 will.

now it's come to Minimum/Recommended Specs being listed only with upscaling enabled...the days of native resolution gaming are over unless you own the top tier card (4090)

Back