Alan Wake 2

In what way does Saga one-up all her male cohorts? I’m not seeing that myself?
In being able to determine everything unsaid about the case by simply profiling idiots. 👀

J/K. I actually don’t see any difference between male and female. Both are equally stupid. Dialog of Alan Wake is excruciating to listen to.

In being able to determine everything unsaid about the case by simply profiling idiots. 👀

J/K. I actually don’t see any difference between male and female. Both are equally stupid. Dialog of Alan Wake is excruciating to listen to.
The story is going way over my head… for me, this is further evidence that game developers just aren’t very good storytellers. Had this been a novel I would’ve stopped reading.

The only thing that I enjoy about the Alan Wake section is that I can crank up the settings. Actually, while was playing around with them I noticed some extreme edge case bugs, if we can call them that. Like texture shimmering and volumetrics tripping out because I was trying to run maximum settings at the lowest resolution. Seriously this game will output at resolutions lower than the Gameboy.

Patch 12 released

another major patch...gotta love developers like Remedy and Hexworks (Lords of the Fallen) where they are constantly putting out major patches (usually multiple patches per week)...with Alan Wake 2 they've already released 12 major patches in less than 3 weeks...

https://www.alanwake.com/story/alan-wake-2-update-notes/
It has not literally been 12 patches though at least not on PC. The very first PC patch was patch 6 and then it was patch 8 after that.

Finally finished this dumpster fire tonight. The ending hours were some of the worst parts of the entire game.
I'm giving this one a 7/10, mainly carried by the incredible graphics. Next generation, this will be a 4/10 on a good day.
Easily the worst Remedy game I have ever "played".

Finally finished this dumpster fire tonight. The ending hours were some of the worst parts of the entire game.
I'm giving this one a 7/10, mainly carried by the incredible graphics. Next generation, this will be a 4/10 on a good day.
Easily the worst Remedy game I have ever "played".
7/10 for the total package really doesn't strike me as a dumpster fire? Are you someone who only ever can degrade himself to play a non 10/10 game once a decade? Not every game has to be perfect to be fun.

He said it’s a 4 but 7 because of graphics. I still can’t get myself to play this game. Heck, I finished CODMW3 over this and I don’t regret doing that.

The early Alan sequences made me almost want to quit the game, but I'm glad I persisted. I mostly enjoyed the second half of the game. Basically everything past the sequence with Alan in the subway. The later Alan sequences in the Oceanview are much better, although I still dislike the "rewrite the story" mechanic.
IMO, the easiest way to make the game more enjoyable would have been to make combat more worthwhile. As of now there's no benefit to fighting anything that isn't full-on blocking your path. They dish out healing items left and right all while keeping your ammo and batteries artificially limited. You're better off running and taking occasional hits while saving your ammo for required battles. I guess if that's what they wanted, they succeeded.

Patch 12 released

another major patch...gotta love developers like Remedy and Hexworks (Lords of the Fallen) where they are constantly putting out major patches (usually multiple patches per week)...with Alan Wake 2 they've already released 12 major patches in less than 3 weeks...

https://www.alanwake.com/story/alan-wake-2-update-notes/
Don't forget Gunfire Games.. Fixed there game in like 2 weeks.

7/10 for the total package really doesn't strike me as a dumpster fire? Are you someone who only ever can degrade himself to play a non 10/10 game once a decade? Not every game has to be perfect to be fun.
Yes, 7/10 for the total package at the moment because it's one of the best looking games on the market currently. And no, a game doesn't have to be a 10/10 for me to play it. I played Shadow Warrior 3 and Maneater earlier this year, and both ranked a 7/10 on my completely non-scientific personal rating system. Both of those games were MUCH more fun than AW2.

Ignoring the marvelous graphics, the game itself is indeed a dumpster fire. I can't wrap my head around how they managed to make the gameplay so bad. It just feels miserable to play. The last couple missions and the ending felt extremely rushed and disappointing as well.

I did end up dropping the difficulty to "story" mode near the end. HIGHLY recommended. Wish I did it sooner.

When ever I see a 7 score from game reviewers that says to me it's a bad game. They just don't want to just come out and say the game is fucking trash. My own personl ratings system would be like:
7-8 = bad,
8-9 = good,
9-9.5 = great,
9.6-10 = excellent.
anything under 7 = lol.
Though I often seen mainstream games get rated into my great to excellent range that I just don't/can't agree with. Comparing actual gameplay I'd say RE4R blows AW2 out of the water. I don't even need to play aw to make this judgement. Most the stuff I've seen of aw2 (not much) just looks cringy.

When ever I see a 7 score from game reviewers that says to me it's a bad game. They just don't want to just come out and say the game is fucking trash. My own personl ratings system would be like:
7-8 = bad

an 8 equals a bad game?

The early Alan sequences made me almost want to quit the game, but I'm glad I persisted. I mostly enjoyed the second half of the game. Basically everything past the sequence with Alan in the subway. The later Alan sequences in the Oceanview are much better, although I still dislike the "rewrite the story" mechanic.
IMO, the easiest way to make the game more enjoyable would have been to make combat more worthwhile. As of now there's no benefit to fighting anything that isn't full-on blocking your path. They dish out healing items left and right all while keeping your ammo and batteries artificially limited. You're better off running and taking occasional hits while saving your ammo for required battles. I guess if that's what they wanted, they succeeded.
Shit. That is exactly where I am currently stuck.
I'm playing this for the inane pontification about free will, storytelling and the occasional surreal depiction of bucolic mundanity.
I'm stuck outside the Oceanview. I know that it's something obvious. For instance, in Control I got stuck in the Ashtray Maze because I had played until that point believing that I had a double jump and not the ability to fucking fly. All I had to do in that case was hold the jump button a little longer.

Like I mentioned earlier. I'm here for the ideas, not so much the gameplay. For me the reward of putting up with the mechanical aspects are the story bits.
The nearest form of narrative to video games in my mind are books because we have to physically operate the book or magazine...
What I'm trying to say is this game isn't technically fun to play. It's enough to maintain a forward momentum, most of the time.

I'm stuck outside the Oceanview. I know that it's something obvious. For instance, in Control I got stuck in the Ashtray Maze because I had played until that point believing that I had a double jump and not the ability to fucking fly. All I had to do in that case was hold the jump button a little longer.
For the most part, the key to the hotel = switching back and forth between different versions of the story. The game gives you a bit of a hint since when you walk into certain areas, it'll tell you the version of the story you're playing in the lower left. That's a clue to toggle to one of the other story versions. Beyond that, it's just a matter of going into as many rooms as you can. If it looks like your path is blocked, swap to a different version of the story. I won't spoil it, but to make it out of the last portion of that area, don't forget about the quick-turn command.

I enjoyed that portion of the game much more than the rest of Alan's story. His final sections are pretty solid, too.

Alan Wake 2 is being bundled with certain Nvidia hardware and I bought a code for a nice price ($20)...I don't think it's going to hit that price for over a year so I'm happy with what I paid...I don't want to play this with my 3080 without path tracing so I might just wait till I upgrade to at least a 4080 Super (or 4070 Ti Super)

Alan Wake 2 is being bundled with certain Nvidia hardware and I bought a code for a nice price ($20)...I don't think it's going to hit that price for over a year so I'm happy with what I paid...I don't want to play this with my 3080 without path tracing so I might just wait till I upgrade to at least a 4080 Super (or 4070 Ti Super)
I have a 4090 and I can barely tell the difference between path tracing enabled and ray tracing completely switched off. It’s just not worth holding out for path tracing.

I have a 4090 and I can barely tell the difference between path tracing enabled and ray tracing completely switched off. It’s just not worth holding out for path tracing.
I miss the old days when I could just disable shadows outright. I'd rather have painted static shadows than the pixelated and jerky eye sores that will always be the lowest notch in the menu.

It's 33% off today for those interested.

the game itself is not on sale...the 33% discount is a coupon that is part of the Epic Store Black Friday sale and applies to any game $14.99 and above (sale ends Nov 28th)

the game itself is not on sale...the 33% discount is a coupon that is part of the Epic Store Black Friday sale and applies to any game $14.99 and above (sale ends Nov 28th.
Yes I know but since the game is exclusive to that store and this is the forum about that game I thought I would mention it for those holding off waiting for a discount. I'm actually surprised that they're letting you get 33% off of new game like this.

I didn't know this game carried over into Fortnite, been a while since playing that game and update today to run the Intel Arc A 770 on a new driver to see if they fixed the frame dropping out issue. Fortnite rewarded me with a free Alan Wake II skin for buying the game and a bonus I didn't know about if any of you or your kids play Fortnite.

View: https://youtu.be/5Lcqjn-Hojs?si=oq4Syi35_Gey88qk

For the most part, the key to the hotel = switching back and forth between different versions of the story. The game gives you a bit of a hint since when you walk into certain areas, it'll tell you the version of the story you're playing in the lower left. That's a clue to toggle to one of the other story versions. Beyond that, it's just a matter of going into as many rooms as you can. If it looks like your path is blocked, swap to a different version of the story. I won't spoil it, but to make it out of the last portion of that area, don't forget about the quick-turn command.

I enjoyed that portion of the game much more than the rest of Alan's story. His final sections are pretty solid, too.
So I finally. Finally, got past the part that I was stuck at. It was literally right before I could enter the Oceanview hotel.

In Saga's story I need to do a wellness check on the FBC, before I double backed and started up on Alan's path again.

Any one that played this game. At Chapter 6 with Saga it is saying that I need to save for endgame. wtf is that? I thought game had 9 chapters a piece. Also if I go ahead, will the game lock me out of collectibles and crap. I was doing well with cult stashes and some nursery rhymes and shit. But I still need to go back to get all of them.

P.S. I am on chapter 5 for Alan.

Not done with it yet. But this is the longest fucking game I've ever played. It's cool, but I'm kind of annoyed.

It is terrible. The dialog is like listening to mental patients drivel. I am only playing because I paid for it. The constant screen flashes can pretty much give someone epilepsy.

It is really a terrible game. Borderline stupidity.

Anyways, just need confirmation if I should go back and try to finish collectibles or can that wait.

Also pretty surprised no one is talking about the tons of bugs in this game. Bugs during traversal, boss fights, Saga getting stuck, graphics, story progression etc.

It is terrible. The dialog is like listening to mental patients drivel. I am only playing because I paid for it. The constant screen flashes can pretty much give someone epilepsy.

It is really a terrible game. Borderline stupidity.

Anyways, just need confirmation if I should go back and try to finish collectibles or can that wait.

Also pretty surprised no one is talking about the tons of bugs in this game. Bugs during traversal, boss fights, Saga getting stuck, graphics, story progression etc.
If you're not enjoying the game why the hell do you care about stupid collectibles?

I didn't really encounter many bugs. The two that I did have happen were both fixed via patches. The first one was when I was moving stackable ammo from my character to my stash. Instead of stacking, it just disappeared completely. Luckily I had just saved a few seconds earlier. The other is that if you reloaded while being grabbed, you'd be frozen in place and would have to restart the game to be able to move again.

Anyone notice the physics in this game are worse than Max Payne 2? The environmental objects are on Crack. Seems almost every random object has some jank physics that can be activated if you run into the near approximity. I witnessed a lamp spin on it's head across the room like a spintop last night. I understand there are environmental physics to show off the enemy effects, but these physics exist where there are zero enemies.

Anyways, ever since reaching the Alan Wake campaign, my brother and I have been seriously enjoying the game. There are some seriously cool sequences we weren't expecting. We must be getting near the end of it. Not sure if we want or need to play the Saga part of the story, because we think we're getting our fill of the game from the Alan section.

I just wish the game wasn't so easy. My inventory is always completely full and the enemies are the same thing for the most part. Reminds me a lot of the first game in that regard.

I don't know man. The path tracing might be one of the few things keeping my brother and I enticed. In the city particularly it looks phenomenal. Seems to be one of the reasons I upgraded to the 4090.

Last edited:
The path tracing is definitely better during the Alan Wake sections. Certainly in the sense that I can turn it on with my 3080 12GB and keep the frame rate near 55 or so.

My issue with the combat is that it's pointless if not full-on detrimental to your progress. You can fight all those random shadows or wandering taken/wolves...but you end up wasting your most limited resource (batteries and/or ammo) and get nothing in return 90% of the time. Or you can just plow right into them and proceed to your objective only to use the most common resource (healing items) to nullify the damage you took. IMO, there's a formula for item drops that's off. Some enemies drop ammo/batteries, but they're just super rare. Those random item caches also seem to dish out items based on some kind of formula that also seems off. In some cases, I'd open one and it would be empty. When I went back later, the lid would still be open but there would be an item sitting there. They should ease up on the healing shit (and flares) and dish out more batteries and ammo. Make me want to engage with the game instead of running from location to location because it's smarter.

My issue with the combat is that it's pointless if not full-on detrimental to your progress. You can fight all those random shadows or wandering taken/wolves...but you end up wasting your most limited resource (batteries and/or ammo) and get nothing in return 90% of the time. Or you can just plow right into them and proceed to your objective only to use the most common resource (healing items) to nullify the damage you took. IMO, there's a formula for item drops that's off. Some enemies drop ammo/batteries, but they're just super rare. Those random item caches also seem to dish out items based on some kind of formula that also seems off. In some cases, I'd open one and it would be empty. When I went back later, the lid would still be open but there would be an item sitting there. They should ease up on the healing shit (and flares) and dish out more batteries and ammo. Make me want to engage with the game instead of running from location to location because it's smarter.
Luckily you are describing exactly how Remedy wanted us to play.
The trouble is that it's boring. Combat feels perfunctory rather than pointless. Whatever they were on during the development of Control, they need to re up and re hire.

I'm not finding supplies to be a major problem. At least not yet. I am maybe halfway through. But yes the fighting isn't that good. It wasn't exactly great in the first game, but it was more action packed and less tiny encounters during exploration. Combat and story scenes were separated more. In this it is more blended, with smaller random encounters while you explore.

It isn't awful, but it doesn't play as good.

I'm not finding it bad. I'm enjoying it for what it is, but some people said it was a bit of a walking simulator. They aren't wrong. First game had much more combat.
Yeah since I lean more heavily on better gameplay when I heard multiple people saying that it was a bit of a walking simulator I decided to delay my purchase for a bit.

Back