AIO + ACX Sli

lee0539

[H]ard|Gawd
Does this work out okay with one AIO watercooled video card with one ACX air cooled card? Does the air cooled card make too much noise that it isn't worth doing this or the overclocking abilities will be too bottle necked by the acx card? Any other reason this isn't good? Reason I ask is the limitations of having 4 fan exhausting air out unless one of them is reversed. (2 fans for cpu radiator, 2 fans for gpu exhaust) most compact cases don't have 4 fans in and 4 fans out. I got air 540 on sale which has 2-3 in and 3 out

Well you can put the AIO card on the bottom and it will prevent your top card from running as hot as Satan's anus. So that's one benefit.
Should reduce overall fan speed.

Hahaha

I actually had my 780 ti's in a air 540... 1 w/ aio cooling and 1 w/ the ACX. I kept the ACX on top to take more advantage of the intake fans.

They are both on kraken g10's now though....Yes it is messy right now....as I wanted to get it in ASAP:D

The front rad is pulling out, as the other rads are push/pull out, and 1 intake

You should be able to have AIO cooling for both cards and have the CPU with an AIO that has a daul radiator in the Air540.

Just mount the dual radiator at the top. Then mount the radiators for each of graphics cards in the front. You fan put a 3rd 120mm fan in the front on top for some extra airflow.

I have 3 front fans with dual slot spacing between my GTX 980 ACX cards with back plates. The top card is only 3 degrees celcius warmer than the bottom card.

You should be able to have AIO cooling for both cards and have the CPU with an AIO that has a daul radiator in the Air540.

Just mount the dual radiator at the top. Then mount the radiators for each of graphics cards in the front. You fan put a 3rd 120mm fan in the front on top for some extra airflow.

I have 3 front fans with dual slot spacing between my GTX 980 ACX cards with back plates. The top card is only 3 degrees celcius warmer than the bottom card.

This exactly.

The reason I have 1 rad in back is because its super thick in push/pull config....which I may switch over to a push or pull only, when I finally get situated in my house.

i have a smaller case than the 540 (define R4) and i have an h100i on top for the cpu, and two kraken x41's for my two gpus in the front. Fits very neatly. You can look up the dimensions of the x41 to see how i fit two in the front...basically, if you can fit two 140 fans in front, you will have no issue mounting two such radiators in the front. You will jsut have to mount them with the thicker pump side to be facing the side door that opens.

well i want to use the filter on intakes so i don't get so much dust. if I put both radiators in the front then the internal case temperature will get really hot.

But yes both GPU will probably run cooler with fresh air vs air from inside the case. Leaning towards just getting 2 980 ti hybrids but worried how much heat that is dumping into the case which will affect CPU temps

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=127567

so that but with a dual radiator on top instead of rear? or should i do dual radiator on top, one of the GPU radiator in rear, and one intake in front? so 2 fans providing cold air into case. all exhaust fans are with radiator

Last edited:
You can do a dual rad on top or front.

Dual rad on top
Single rad front bottom
Single rad front mid
Intake fan top mid
Exhaust fan in back.
Should keep majority of the hot air from going into your cpu rad on top

I have a dual rad up top of mine, and was thinking about two AIO up front for my cards. All my fans except the back 140mm are intake.

I use to rock three seperate AIO coolers, very similar in fact to the setup pictures above. I've been on board with the "green mod" and "red mod" since the beginning.

In all honesty, if you can swing it, just get an AIO like the antec h220-x and the corresponding waterblock. If you want to keep the interchangeability of the AIO, then just get universal waterblocks.

Ever since making the jump to the h220x i've been very happy. Being able to customize your setup is great and performance/noise levels are outstanding.

I use to rock three seperate AIO coolers, very similar in fact to the setup pictures above. I've been on board with the "green mod" and "red mod" since the beginning.

In all honesty, if you can swing it, just get an AIO like the antec h220-x and the corresponding waterblock. If you want to keep the interchangeability of the AIO, then just get universal waterblocks.

Ever since making the jump to the h220x i've been very happy. Being able to customize your setup is great and performance/noise levels are outstanding.

Thats not ideal either. Moving hot water to cool cards

Thats not ideal either. Moving hot water to cool cards

Not sure what you are saying here? That is how watercooling works.

Remember the air 540 is a case with A LOT of leakage. I would put the top and front fans as all intake to create positive pressure. This will help with dust build up

EDIT:

this is my 540 setup. Specs in sig.

AMGbO2D.jpg

Last edited:
That works for single card but not for sli. Gpu output a lot of heat. I would need a radiator inbetween the gpu. But yea im considering that just not sure the pump is strong enough

The h220x is plenty strong enough. Has a flow rate a lot higher than regular AIOs and does 3000rpm for about 1.1gpm. An h240x (280mm rad) would fit in the front of the 540 and cool both the GPUs. Then you could do another 120/140/240 aio at the top to cool the cpu. Again you would want to create positive pressure and do intake on the front/top and only one exhaust in the back.

The result would be a nearly silent computer with great thermal performance.

I'm not knocking regular AIOs as i've used them in the past on sli 7950s, 660ti, and a 7970 and they work great. I just think that once you go to a nicer solution like the h220x, you get a lot of benefits and customization.

But if you are trying to do it on the cheap, I would go 2 AIOs as 1 AIO with a regualr ACX card would kill any benefit of having the AIO for 2 reasons. 1) your sli setup is limited to the slower card, which means that it'll be limited to the acx card. 2) you will only get a little noise reductions since you still have the ACX cooler in the mix.

You're overthinking this...

The air coming through your radiators with the Hyrid cards will be plently cool. You'll also have a front top 120mm fan pulling even cooler air into the case as well. This will dump far less heat into the case than a dual ACX setup.

Back