AIB’s dismantling 4090’s to repurpose as Server cards.

https://wccftech.com/chinese-factor...ce-rtx-4090-gaming-gpus-turning-ai-solutions/

I mean they are already there, can’t sell them to the populace so might as well turn them into server products and sell them for 10x the amount.
I believe this was more of a move to curtail the enterprise AI GPU restrictions and milk as much money as possible using non workstation cards. Just speculation, although imo would believe to be valid considering Nvidia...So not really a scenario where "ohhh no, we can't sell these to the masses anymore, let's convert them to workstation." These cards and previous 4090's have been sent to China for specifically this reason, to be used for AI and getting around the bans.

Looking at Nvidia's quarterly numbers, honestly the greed is just astounding. Don't get me wrong, all companies need and have the right to make a profit, but what Nvidia has been doing to milk every dollar possible is honestly quite upsetting. No moral compass whatsoever. Diverting mass amounts of partner gpu's to the chinese market amid all these bans is kinda pathetic and telling. But alas, they are beholden to and the allegiance of the almighty dollar, and will do anything to get more of it.

Honestly, was hoping nvidia would of got a taste of their own greed when the crypto landscape changed, but they got propped up by AI which allowed to continue to show their colors. There is one line that will always be true though, the gaming and workstation segment will always be around, and shows consistent and reliable income, not these waves to capitalize on emerging and vanishing market trends that we've seen in crypto. I doubt the AI market will vanish as Crypto has, but the blatant disregard and abuse Nvidia has shown to their gaming segment, has honestly been quite insulting to watch, pretty much biting the hand that feeds you.

I believe this was more of a move to curtail the enterprise AI GPU restrictions and milk as much money as possible using non workstation cards. Just speculation, although imo would believe to be valid considering Nvidia...So not really a scenario where "ohhh no, we can't sell these to the masses anymore, let's convert them to workstation." These cards and previous 4090's have been sent to China for specifically this reason, to be used for AI and getting around the bans.

Looking at Nvidia's quarterly numbers, honestly the greed is just astounding. Don't get me wrong, all companies need and have the right to make a profit, but what Nvidia has been doing to milk every dollar possible is honestly quite upsetting. No moral compass whatsoever. Diverting mass amounts of partner gpu's to the chinese market amid all these bans is kinda pathetic and telling. But alas, they are beholden to and the allegiance of the almighty dollar, and will do anything to get more of it.

Honestly, was hoping nvidia would have got a taste of their own greed when the crypto landscape changed, but they got propped up by AI which allowed to continue to show their colors. There is one line that will always be true though, the gaming and workstation segment will always be around, and shows consistent and reliable income, not these waves to capitalize on emerging and vanishing market trends that we've seen in crypto. I doubt the AI market will vanish as Crypto has, but the blatant disregard and abuse Nvidia has shown to their gaming segment, has honestly been quite insulting to watch, pretty much biting the hand that feeds you.
That’s not Nvidia.
Nvidia gets paid when the AIB takes delivery of the silicon kit (GPU, VRMs, VRAM)
What the assembled card sells for goes to the AIBs.

Diverting mass amounts of partner gpu's to the chinese market amid all these bans is kinda pathetic and telling.
Why would they do that ? Why would they do anything more than sells parts to AIB that sales cards to who they please after ?

Do you think they were telling ASUS what to with their cards, I mean maybe, but why ? what does it change for them.

Do you think those bans are moral and good ? And that they should take step so none of the AIB send any lovelace cards to the Chinese market ? They are pretty much over the 8bits performance density limits of those bans.

Why would they do that ? Why would they do anything more than sells parts to AIB that sales cards to who they please after ?

Do you think they were telling ASUS what to with their cards, I mean maybe, but why ? what does it change for them.

Do you think those bans are moral and good ? And that they should take step so none of the AIB send any lovelace cards to the Chinese market ? They are pretty much over the 8bits performance density limits of those bans.
And it wasn’t long ago the articles were about the huge amounts of unsold 4090s Nvidia couldn’t export out and couldn’t sell so they were destined to rot there in warehouses and shipping containers.

That’s not Nvidia.
Nvidia gets paid when the AIB takes delivery of the silicon kit (GPU, VRMs, VRAM)
What the assembled card sells for goes to the AIBs.

"NVIDIA was reported to have prioritized a large chunk of AD102 GPUs and GeForce RTX 4090 graphics cards from its AIB partners to China".

While you are correct that it is indeed the AIB's selling said cards, I doubt there isn't some greasing of hands going on to do just that. Based on what we've seen, we all know Nvidia aren't being saints here, and diverting such mass quantities to China to curtail the workstation GPU bans really points back to the same point I made previously. Even if miraculously Nvidia wasn't getting a special cut here, diverting massive stock only helps inflate prices we have seen here in the states, as supply has lessened considerably. Which in turn justifies Nvidia to keep their prices high and shoved down consumers throats. The one thing we can all agree on hopefully is this gen was ridiculous in terms of MSRP.

It's a sad day when the only worthwhile GPU to buy this gen was a 4090 when you break down performance compared to previous gen and cost =*(. Especially when there were large amounts of 3000 series that could be picked up second hand which were an absolute value. Meanwhile Nvidia tried to circumvent this problem to their bottom line by making mining gpu's with special drivers and no display output.

As stated previously, all companies have a right to make a profit, but it's just a shame to see how much greed and a complete disregard for their loyal domestic customers Nvidia has shown. Although they aren't the only guilty parties, we've seen what happens when Intel has a monopoly and milk the base with their single digit IPC increase and quad core cpus for roughly a decade... How AMD axed the Threadripper DIY market and made the Lenovo Pro series partnership as intel had no response, etc. Just sad to see how this corporate ideology really doesn't give two shits about their base. It's only about our wallets and how much they can extract.

Matter of the fact, we don't know if there is anything more going on behind the scenes. But considering pre-ban, top end AI gpu's were going for $70,000, it would be naive to believe there isn't some palm greasing going on here, considering 4090's were going for just over double their MSRP in China. When Nvidia prioritizes a large chunk of AD102/4090's to china, and we see dwindling stock in the states as a result, and see prices leading back to scalper territory, there is definitely something going on. Nvidia simply doesn't care, they will do anything to crank out as much profit as possible, to enrich themselves, and have good quarterly numbers for their shareholders.

I mean heck, we've seen what intel has done with anticompetitive practices in the past with AMD. We see bans railed down on AI GPU's for china, which results in Nvidia beginning production on models specifically for the chinese market. We also see massive amounts of 4090's being sent to china as they weren't on the ban list, only for them to now also be affected by the same ban...At every possible turn, Nvidia has taken whatever means they could to get more into china to gorge themselves...It's not hard to believe they will do whatever they can to turn some silicon into the largest piles of cash possible...They already have that track record.

Afterall..."The more you buy, the more you save"...That quote should be pretty telling and sum everything up. All hail the almighty dollar, no matter who we have to trample over in the process.

Reactions: pavel
like this
All hail the almighty dollar, no matter who we have to trample over in the process.
But no one is being trumple here, a terrible ban will push sales before it goes into effect sure... (and after that will push a black market, like always)

"NVIDIA was reported to have prioritized a large chunk of AD102 GPUs and GeForce RTX 4090 graphics cards from its AIB partners to China".
Must admit I do not understand what they mean by that, would Nvidia prioritize making their most lucrative chips the AD102 sure, would they sells first to those ready to pay the most for those chips sure, where those AIB that had the China market in mind, why not and I do not imagine Nvidia would care to ask.

But what from its AIB partners to China mean, do they mean NVIDIA bought pallet of ASUS cards and sold them to China reseller themselve ?

Nvidia simply doesn't care,
What should they care about here, if people want to buy AI GPUs $70k, why would it be a moral question to not sell it to them at those price ? What the possible issue with it ?

Must admit I do not understand what they mean by that, would Nvidia prioritize making their most lucrative chips the AD102 sure, would they sells first to those ready to pay the most for those chips sure, where those AIB that had the China market in mind, why not and I do not imagine Nvidia would care to ask.

But what from its AIB partners to China mean, do they mean NVIDIA bought pallet of ASUS cards and sold them to China reseller themselve ?

Another article...

https://videocardz.com/newz/ai-craz...e-by-chinese-companies-for-ai-card-production

The fact of the matter is. Nvidia knows how quickly and how many gpu's they can sell in china due to the AI GPU Bans. I don't find it surprising at all that mass quantities of 4090's, which are now scarce in the states to be popping up in China. There is a ton of money for them to be made in china, regardless of the fact that the bans exist. It was obvious they would be expanded to 4090's considering their performance and ability to be used in an AI environment.

Now does that mean board partners didn't do this themselves? No, that is always a possibility, and probably a valid thought considering the implicated mass pallets of various brands of 4090's popping up in china. But considering how Nvidia has already shown the lengths they will go to to sell a gpu to whoever it is paints a pretty clear picture imo. This is the same company that was selling direct to miners during the whole mining craze, leaving little 3000 series stock for the gaming market that they build their company off of...With scalpers making the problem even worse. Heck, they even lied about how much there were selling to miner's directly, and ended up paying fines. To think that they wouldn't pull strings to get as many 4090's into china as possible would be naieve...Which we can see the results of such in current stock/pricing in the states.

What should they care about here, if people want to buy AI GPUs $70k, why would it be a moral question to not sell it to them at those price ? What the possible issue with it ?

That's precisely it. They don't care. The moral aspect lies in circumventing the bans that have been put in place, to a country that is eying invading Taiwan that would throw everything into chaos, especially in the global semiconductor business. China already has a history of stealing designs blatantly, and reverse engineering. In terms of the issue with it...We have already seen the repercussions in the past. Stock dries up due to the exports and greed, scalpers buy up what's left, and we pay nearly double in price for a gpu...I definitely have a problem with that, and I would bet everything that others on this forum, as well as the gaming market as a whole does as well.

The moral aspect lies in circumventing the bans that have been put in place,
The ban was set to enter in function at a certain date, everything sold before is not a strong circumventing.

This is the same company that was selling direct to miners during the whole mining craze,
Source ? I do not remember seeing much mining rig with Founder Edition or disproportion of them on the used market when the mining popped.

There were article like this:
https://wccftech.com/nvidia-allegedly-sold-175-million-worth-ampere-geforce-rtx-30-gpus-to-miners/

But when you go look at the, According to Financial Analysts at RBC Captial Markets and Barrons, it never said that:
https://web.archive.org/web/2020120...STS_technology&refsec=hp_INTERESTS_technology

Just talk about an analysis of how much miners buying cards added revenues estimates, not that nvidia sold FE card or just the chips for miners to make their own card, which could be possible obviously and I am not sure why a gamer should ever have priority over any other possible use, it is the name game, pretty much nothing is ever less important than that and there is absolutely zero moral-ethic case here to sales to a miner instead if that was the case, the only issue why you would not want too it is because of the possibility of a mining pop and used market hurting future sales.

to a country that is eying invading Taiwan that would throw everything into chaos
And does the ban and not selling 4090 GPU make this less or more likely ?

China already has a history of stealing designs blatantly, and reverse engineering.
And does not selling 4090 change anything to that ?

Do you have a problem with people selling 4080 and 7900xtx in China ? Do we really want a couple of people in a whitehouse telling us if we can or not buy geforce video cards ?

Last edited:
Honestly, was hoping nvidia would of got a taste of their own greed when the crypto landscape changed, but they got propped up by AI which allowed to continue to show their colors. There is one line that will always be true though, the gaming and workstation segment will always be around, and shows consistent and reliable income, not these waves to capitalize on emerging and vanishing market trends that we've seen in crypto. I doubt the AI market will vanish as Crypto has, but the blatant disregard and abuse Nvidia has shown to their gaming segment, has honestly been quite insulting to watch, pretty much biting the hand that feeds you.
We can only hope that AMD catches up with NVidia for high end consumer GPUs, and has solid enough drivers. (Is drivers still an issue for AMD? Once that happens, sayonara NVidia.

Nvidia dictates how many GPUs an AIB can release in a country at a time and roughly where to ship them.
That was one of the things EVGA was pissed about because Nvidia would tell them No to a lot of things they wanted to do.
So if Nvidia said you ship 5000 units to China in 2023 and not a single card more if you dare to ship 5001 you can kiss your future GPU shipments good bye.
So if MSI or Gigabyte or anybody else wants to unload every 4090 they can in China before the ban takes place then they need Nvidia’s approval to unload them there first.

We can only hope that AMD catches up with NVidia for high end consumer GPUs, and has solid enough drivers. (Is drivers still an issue for AMD? Once that happens, sayonara NVidia.
serious-spider-man.gif

Another article...

https://videocardz.com/newz/ai-craz...e-by-chinese-companies-for-ai-card-production

The fact of the matter is. Nvidia knows how quickly and how many gpu's they can sell in china due to the AI GPU Bans. I don't find it surprising at all that mass quantities of 4090's, which are now scarce in the states to be popping up in China. There is a ton of money for them to be made in china, regardless of the fact that the bans exist. It was obvious they would be expanded to 4090's considering their performance and ability to be used in an AI environment.

Now does that mean board partners didn't do this themselves? No, that is always a possibility, and probably a valid thought considering the implicated mass pallets of various brands of 4090's popping up in china. But considering how Nvidia has already shown the lengths they will go to to sell a gpu to whoever it is paints a pretty clear picture imo. This is the same company that was selling direct to miners during the whole mining craze, leaving little 3000 series stock for the gaming market that they build their company off of...With scalpers making the problem even worse. Heck, they even lied about how much there were selling to miner's directly, and ended up paying fines. To think that they wouldn't pull strings to get as many 4090's into china as possible would be naieve...Which we can see the results of such in current stock/pricing in the states.

That's precisely it. They don't care. The moral aspect lies in circumventing the bans that have been put in place, to a country that is eying invading Taiwan that would throw everything into chaos, especially in the global semiconductor business. China already has a history of stealing designs blatantly, and reverse engineering. In terms of the issue with it...We have already seen the repercussions in the past. Stock dries up due to the exports and greed, scalpers buy up what's left, and we pay nearly double in price for a gpu...I definitely have a problem with that, and I would bet everything that others on this forum, as well as the gaming market as a whole does as well.
China has the highest counterfeit/blackmarket in the world - they have no concerns or qualms about the number of companies producing and selling fake whatever - yet, they care about this AI stuff?!?
Imho, this is all a farce to help Nvidia make massive profits - and they already lead in the AI market - a ban is not going to deter them.
But, this is a strategy to make massive profits like the mining was before this.

LOL! Surely, you jest?!? Good joke, though. Why do ppl here love AMD so much? It's really annoying and frustrating. These companies are all the same - if they could, they would put themselves in Nvidia's current position. AMD cards should be half the price of Nvidia's - even the 7900 XTX. They should be cheap. Look at the support and comparison of features - you gamers know it..... FSR vs DLSS, ray tracing comparisons - even in gaming, it's not as good. As for the other support areas - in 3D modeling, video editing, Machine Learning, AI etc. - they are sorely lacking. The industry caters to nvidia - so, at least, admit it. I'm not saying it's positive by any means. But, go to Youtube and search 'Nvidia monopoly' - many analysts say that Nvidia (chips) are a monopoly and there's no competition - including AMD. Heck the two CEOs are friggin' related, for crying out loud. They are both trying to profit and they are shady companies - they're both greedy.

I would like AMD to catch up - I'd like an AMD gpu because I want to run Linux - and AMD has the FOSS ecoystem but their support in areas other than gaming sucks - and I acknowledge they're not any better than Nvidia - they just don't have the tech or clout to do the same and maybe they have a better PR team - AMD fanboys. :-/

That was one of the things EVGA was pissed about because Nvidia would tell them No to a lot of things they wanted to do.
None of the article I looked mention this, nor the GamerNexus video about it. Anyway a simple selling your chips to AIB that are more popular in a region (EVGA for north america, Palit for asia, etc...) would indirectly do the trick I would imagine.

None of the article I looked mention this, nor the GamerNexus video about it. Anyway a simple selling your chips to AIB that are more popular in a region (EVGA for north america, Palit for asia, etc...) would indirectly do the trick I would imagine.
That’s not in the article but that was one of the parts of the EVGA exit rant as one of the controlling micromanaging things Nvidia did that kept them from making money and why Nvidia is a terrible partner and blah blah blah.

Why do ppl here love AMD so much? It's really annoying and frustrating.
If AMD disappears, what do you think will happen to the price and availability of gaming GPUs, with nVidia having a monopoly?

Intel's recent entry into the market is relatively meaningless as far as this goes, as they're nowhere near ready (as far as I know) to come out with high-end cards.

If AMD disappears, what do you think will happen to the price and availability of gaming GPUs, with nVidia having a monopoly?

Intel's recent entry into the market is relatively meaningless as far as this goes, as they're nowhere near ready (as far as I know) to come out with high-end cards.
AMD isn’t going anywhere, they aren’t pulling out of anything that is silly talk.
They are just not in a position to reach for market penetration AMD is struggling with overreach and scaling. They wear a lot of hats and that gives them some huge advantages for integrating their technology that nobody can touch.
And their gaming/GPU division still makes them a lot of money, consoles are a massive market as is the laptop sector, putting effort and resources there is more important long run than Desktop is.
Every year desktop sales are at a new all time low, every year discrete GPU sales are at an all time low.
Meanwhile console sales go up each year, as do laptop sales.
AMD is better off putting resources there and letting that trickle down to the desktop than the other way around.
AMD just doesn’t have the resources available to it to expand in that capacity, and if they tried I only see years of growing pains and an overall bad image resulting from it.
Sadly that leaves us with AMD playing it low and slow, just as they are.

AMD isn’t going anywhere, they aren’t pulling out of anything that is silly talk.
I never said they were--here--but there's lots of idiots out there, especially at places like WCCFTech, who act like they want AMD to die off ("oh, their cards suck and will never be as good as nvidia"). They're idiots and don't seem to know--or care--what would happen if they got what they want.

I never said they were--here--but there's lots of idiots out there, especially at places like WCCFTech, who act like they want AMD to die off ("oh, their cards suck and will never be as good as nvidia"). They're idiots and don't seem to know--or care--what would happen if they got what they want.
I just want AMD to stop trying to follow Nvidia and playing their game and get out in front for once, I am 100% fine with AMD telling the world "You know what, Nvidia can have the 4K gamers, we are going to make things for everybody else" because the reality is only something like 3% of PC gamers have a 4K display and even fewer still have a GPU actually capable of pushing it, and the bulk of those 4K displays are 60hz with average at best response times.
I want AMD to do something different and big, the MI300A impresses the absolute crap out of me, can you imagine a gaming CPU variant of that, some sort of slot/socket based APU rocking 8 Zen5x3D, and some RDNA 4 version of the 7900xtx where the whole thing shares 64GB of unified HBM3e. The consolification of the gaming PC.
Would it really be upgradable, maybe? depends on how long they supported the connector format, would it be a little sad because of the lack of overclocking room, and CPU/GPU customization options, a little. Would I seriously consider it for my next build because I am just so very very tired, yeah yeah I would because with the way prices are for this shit I am one and done, I am too broke and tired to play this game and still have money or time left over to actually play a game.

I just want AMD to stop trying to follow Nvidia and playing their game and get out in front for once, I am 100% fine with AMD telling the world "You know what, Nvidia can have the 4K gamers, we are going to make things for everybody else" because the reality is only something like 3% of PC gamers have a 4K display and even fewer still have a GPU actually capable of pushing it, and the bulk of those 4K displays are 60hz with average at best response times.

snip
NV makes things for everybody else right now. How is AMD adopting this "tactic" going to help them or gamers? Simple fact of the matter is that GPUs are never going to be cheap again. Best thing is just buy used and you'll get better bang for the buck depending on the tier of GPU you buy.

Also, don't forget that the games still have adjustable features.

Would it really be upgradable, maybe? depends on how long they supported the connector format, would it be a little sad because of the lack of overclocking room, and CPU/GPU customization options, a little. Would I seriously consider it for my next build because I am just so very very tired, yeah yeah I would because with the way prices are for this shit I am one and done, I am too broke and tired to play this game and still have money or time left over to actually play a game.
I feel the exact same way about all of this at this point.
Granted this is nearly what is in the current generation consoles, but having more than 16GB of unified RAM at this point is direly needed for everything else.

The model is sound, we just need a workstation edition of the consoles, and one that doesn't have an Apple logo on it.

NV makes things for everybody else right now. How is AMD adopting this "tactic" going to help them or gamers? Simple fact of the matter is that GPUs are never going to be cheap again. Best thing is just buy used and you'll get better bang for the buck depending on the tier of GPU you buy.

Also, don't forget that the games still have adjustable features.
It doesn't nothing AMD can reasonably do will change the narrative that Nvidia has created that forces developers and reviewers to focus on 4K gameplay and develop for 4K and scale down rather than focus on 1080P and scale up, so now we have developers scaling down to scale up to scale down to scale back up during the render pipe to make things playable because <insert very long rant here> The whole industry is messed up, and today I am just angry at the world for no justifiable reason I need a beer and a nap.

I feel the exact same way about all of this at this point.
Granted this is nearly what is in the current generation consoles, but having more than 16GB of unified RAM at this point is direly needed for everything else.

The model is sound, we just need a workstation edition of the consoles, and one that doesn't have an Apple logo on it.
I know I mean can you imagine how giddy Microsoft would be if AMD essentially made a 600w Desktop PC SoC? It would be an XBox / SteamDeck on steroids.
Get some partnership with the Microsoft store (nobody uses it but it would incentivize Microsoft to optimize Windows for the platform) and Valve to do an update of the Steam Controller and Steam Deck OS to match for the non-windows gamers out there.
Developers would have an easy time optimizing for the platform and would exist in a place Nvidia doesn't have the ability to touch.

Will this happen, maybe?, I don't know, it's not outside the realm of possibility, AMD could scale it down to gaming laptops easily enough and complete SoC packages are relatively easy for OEMs to integrate which could aid in their mobile adoption.

At this point, I think I just want change because the way things are going now I don't like. I don't look at the state of PC gaming and think fuck yeah that's cool, and that's not fun.

+1

All i know is that for projects involving AI at the enterprise level and selling/co-selling those solutions ive only been working directly with nvidias sales teams. Sounds like AIB just trying to bypass licensing for GPUs to be used in datacenters Maybe farming them out to a vast.ai or something instead and making their $$$$$$$. I'll let you know if i ever hear a customer remotely mention AMD for their own use in a DC or big 3 cloud.

All i know is that for projects involving AI at the enterprise level and selling/co-selling those solutions ive only been working directly with nvidias sales teams. Sounds like AIB just trying to bypass licensing for GPUs to be used in datacenters Maybe farming them out to a vast.ai or something instead and making their $$$$$$$. I'll let you know if i ever hear a customer remotely mention AMD for their own use in a DC or big 3 cloud.
So what is it that you do so that you work with enterprise level AI?

Why don't the Nvidia partners make a 2 slots blower style 4090 that isn't super humungous so they don't fit in some cases? Rebuilding 2 slot blower 4090s make sense if you want to stick 4 of them in a server.

Why don't the Nvidia partners make a 2 slots blower style 4090 that isn't super humungous so they don't fit in some cases? Rebuilding 2 slot blower 4090s make sense if you want to stick 4 of them in a server.
Nvidia said no, the gaming brand names and the cooler configuration was designed to make it something very hard to get past auditors and accounting departments while ensuring it doesn’t fit inside most workstations or server chassis.

If I could get a 4090 with a 2 slot blower and a boring name it would completely replace every RTX 5000 series card I have at less than half the price.

Back