AI Takes over Hollywood

We will get all the crossovers we could ever want! Move over captain america, watch out for captain planet!

We will get all the crossovers we could ever want! Move over captain america, watch out for captain planet!
???
CaptainPlanet-600x600.png

AI is gonna be huge - for all the wrong reasons or in other words, this is a negative.

I mean, that's been the reality of AI from the vergy beginning. A few potentially cool and valuable applications balanced against billions of potentially negative applications that further curtail privacy, harm people, and some even potentially ending human civilization.

For this very reason I havent been excited about AI since I read science fiction novels as a teenager 30 years ago. Unlike the cool sci-fi stuff, real AI is overwhelmingly negative for all involved.

Yeah, it's sad. I'm already running into a lot of Google searches full of results containing pages that are obviously nothing but AI generated content. The amount of useless info out there is increasing so quickly, it's starting to drown out the useful info. It really makes all past forms of "spam" look benign in comparison.

Regarding Actors/writers, I can see their concerns. The idea was being pushed that they could basically pay an actor for one day of work, scan/record their visual & auditory information, and use that likeness for free forever via AI.

It's hard to feel sorry for the actors and others on the very top who are making millions, but there are also a lot of actors and writers who play much smaller roles who would be seriously threatened by this. One small example are actors who sell audiobooks of them reading books. Now audiobooks are being sold with those actors voices generated completely via AI, with those actors being paid nothing.

I just think that we need to understand that this technology isn't going to go away. These are can-of-worms/genie-in-a-bottle style things. Trying to ban AI to preserve the status quo would be like trying to ban the Internet in order to preserve newspapers, phone-books, and libraries. We need to keep in mind that even if we (the USA and/or the entire western world) took things to the absolute extreme and enacted some kind complete ban on AI, that wouldn't stop AI in places like China. Even in the specific case of Hollywood, nothing this strike accomplishes is going to have any effect on what they do in China. It's kind of funny how Hollywood kisses China's ass because they are a big market, but in a few years AI will probably replace Hollywood in China, and there is literally nothing that Hollywood can do about it.

Yeah, it's sad. I'm already running into a lot of Google searches full of results containing pages that are obviously nothing but AI generated content. The amount of useless info out there is increasing so quickly, it's starting to drown out the useful info. It really makes all past forms of "spam" look benign in comparison.

Regarding Actors/writers, I can see their concerns. The idea was being pushed that they could basically pay an actor for one day of work, scan/record their visual & auditory information, and use that likeness for free forever via AI.

It's hard to feel sorry for the actors and others on the very top who are making millions, but there are also a lot of actors and writers who play much smaller roles who would be seriously threatened by this. One small example are actors who sell audiobooks of them reading books. Now audiobooks are being sold with those actors voices generated completely via AI, with those actors being paid nothing.

I just think that we need to understand that this technology isn't going to go away. These are can-of-worms/genie-in-a-bottle style things. Trying to ban AI to preserve the status quo would be like trying to ban the Internet in order to preserve newspapers, phone-books, and libraries. We need to keep in mind that even if we (the USA and/or the entire western world) took things to the absolute extreme and enacted some kind complete ban on AI, that wouldn't stop AI in places like China. Even in the specific case of Hollywood, nothing this strike accomplishes is going to have any effect on what they do in China. It's kind of funny how Hollywood kisses China's ass because they are a big market, but in a few years AI will probably replace Hollywood in China, and there is literally nothing that Hollywood can do about it.
China is the country that bans stuff not so much the US though.

China is the country that bans stuff not so much the US though.

In China, they will ban AI from doing things like ever mentioning Taiwan as an independent country, talking about democracy in a positive light, or criticizing the government. But overall they aren't really concerned about AI having a negative impact on the population (expendable), as long as it gives them a technological lead.

In the US and the rest of the western world, we will "regulate" AI. There may be some good intentions behind that "regulation", but it will primarily be driven by fear. It will ultimately be self-defeating since anything prohibited by our "regulations" will be easily accomplished by Chinese AI after our "regulations" make China the clear leader in AI.

The bottom line being, AI is here to stay, and it's not going away. The only choice we really have is if we are going to allow Western AI to flourish or if we are going to live in a world dominated by Chinese AI instead.

Back