AI Takes over Hollywood

rinaldo00

2[H]4U
https://www.breitbart.com/entertain...-bros-to-implement-ai-film-management-system/

The Warner Bros. movie division signed the deal with the company Cinelytic and will reportedly "leverage the system's comprehensive data and predictive analytics to guide decision-making at the greenlight stage," according to The Hollywood Reporter (THR).

The platform reportedly "can assess the value of a star in any territory and how much a film is expected to make in theaters and on other ancillary streams."

So they want AI to pick what we will like. OK

Going to try and respond without just joking about how hollywierd is already 100% AI powered.

If they don't hobble the algorithm with politics this might work. It means no one exec has to be accused of being some sort of *ist or Phob for saying.... NOPE the algorithm says a big budget romance flick staring two men is going to bomb. NOPE the algorithm says if we don't respect the source material for this IP its going to bomb. I didn't say you can't cast a black woman to play Cleopatra... the algorithm says that won't go over well with people that understand actual history.

To be honest I sort of doubt there is any AI at all... this is just cover for telling a bunch of activists trying to kill their business to piss off without getting called names and having to deal with personal cancellation attempts. The math says... sorry the math is fair. haha

So they want AI to pick what we will like. OK

Going to try and respond without just joking about how hollywierd is already 100% AI powered.

If they don't hobble the algorithm with politics this might work. It means no one exec has to be accused of being some sort of *ist or Phob for saying.... NOPE the algorithm says a big budget romance flick staring two men is going to bomb. NOPE the algorithm says if we don't respect the source material for this IP its going to bomb. I didn't say you can't cast a black woman to play Cleopatra... the algorithm says that won't go over well with people that understand actual history.

To be honest I sort of doubt there is any AI at all... this is just cover for telling a bunch of activists trying to kill their business to piss off without getting called names and having to deal with personal cancellation attempts. The math says... sorry the math is fair. haha
You just know they're going to bias the AI all to hell. I've been working on de-biasing tools for the past four years, but maybe there's more money in actually doing the opposite: introducing and inducing bias in AI.

As for the Cleopatra thing, that's the worst kind of garbage of this sort. Not only is it pushing an agenda that contradicts actually historical and generic research, it supplants efforts that could be way better spent on projects that exhibit actual subsaharran African ancient history - - something that's wholly overlooked and at least as interesting as other ancient societies (which, as a white middle-aged dude, I would be super interested in seeing/learning more about).

I'm pretty sure a scan of an older movie script with some characters erased and renamed doesn't require an AI.

Unless the AI can do the erasing and replacing, that would eliminate a "writer". I'm not sure you need AI tools for that... I guess an AI could re-contextualize and old script for a new main character. Soon everyone will be a sassy, black single mom that don't need no man! ..Because erasing the existence of black dads isn't racist at all..

"Hollywood: It's so not racist that it's a bit racist about it."

This is going to be the biggest problem:
  1. AI Generates a report that says this script is going to be one of the biggest hit ever.
  2. Suit at the company reads the script and says it's not great so add these things in and cut these things out.
  3. AI generates a report that says this new script is going to bomb
  4. Suit says the AI is wrong retrain it to make it think properly
  5. AI generates a report based on new training that this is going to be the biggest hit ever.
  6. Show bombs bigger than a nuke going off.
  7. Suit says AI is useless and scrap it. Make a new one.
  8. go to line 1.
I am sure there have been many good scripts that never made it out of the room after some other execs or senior writers added/subtracted to it. AI isn't going help if they don't train it correctly, or if it is working correctly, re-train it with bad data.

I'm pretty sure a scan of an older movie script with some characters erased and renamed doesn't require an AI.

Unless the AI can do the erasing and replacing, that would eliminate a "writer". I'm not sure you need AI tools for that... I guess an AI could re-contextualize and old script for a new main character. Soon everyone will be a sassy, black single mom that don't need no man! ..Because erasing the existence of black dads isn't racist at all..

"Hollywood: It's so not racist that it's a bit racist about it."
Well now you can legally get away with renaming names and places in an old script... now if they get sued they will just say the AI wrote it. Yes the AI just writes things that are close but different from old things.
They used to get away with stealing by saying... NOPE we don't take fan submissions, we don't read unsolicited scripts. Therefore we couldn't have possibly read that script you sent us that is 95% the same as the one we used.
This is just the next version of that .... NO we didn't copy from you. We don't even see the input at al, how could we have stolen from you.

I think the problem is nobody likes the lead actor......<excessive opinion removed in hindsight>.......at least I don't, and don't really want to support this persons work as a result.

Last edited:
This is going to be the biggest problem:
  1. AI Generates a report that says this script is going to be one of the biggest hit ever.
  2. Suit at the company reads the script and says it's not great so add these things in and cut these things out.
  3. AI generates a report that says this new script is going to bomb
  4. Suit says the AI is wrong retrain it to make it think properly
  5. AI generates a report based on new training that this is going to be the biggest hit ever.
  6. Show bombs bigger than a nuke going off.
  7. Suit says AI is useless and scrap it. Make a new one.
  8. go to line 1.
I am sure there have been many good scripts that never made it out of the room after some other execs or senior writers added/subtracted to it. AI isn't going help if they don't train it correctly, or if it is working correctly, re-train it with bad data.
This is a problem for chatbots already, in order to make it politically correct they tried to feed it contradictory data, which broke the AI, so instead they put shackles on it not to address specific questions or give a canned answer.

Guess AI is already smarter than humans, you can't fool it to say A when B is the data based conclusion.

Hopefully the AI isn't going to take data points before covid hit as people would go to the movies to see anything back then, now the desire to see something on opening day has definitely waned a bit too the point of people waiting for streaming

It was probably quite in motion for a while:

com:40e9a8eb-bd18-4d5e-a868-379c72b2abac?quality=0.jpg

If you have ever read those world market study pre-greenlight documents and marketing firm data studio buy a bunch of it can be automatized, same for tracking.

They already lost half a trillion dollars collectively last year.
That sound like an extremely high amount, to put in perspective Netflix made 4.5 billion in net income in 2022, Liongates had a nill operating income, Disney media & Entertainment division was nill (ESPN was much better in 2022 than 2021), how does the rest of Hollywood achieved to make a lost of 504.5 billions in their studio division ? I do not feel if they have achieved to loose twice as much they can spend that they would come close, total world TV revenues were around 200 billions I think.

It was probably quite in motion for a while:

View attachment 581482

If you have ever read those world market study pre-greenlight documents and marketing firm data studio buy a bunch of it can be automatized, same for tracking.

That sound like an extremely high amount, to put in perspective Netflix made 4.5 billion in net income in 2022, Liongates had a nill operating income, Disney media & Entertainment division was nill (ESPN was much better in 2022 than 2021), how does the rest of Hollywood achieved to make a lost of 504.5 billions in their studio division ? I do not feel if they have achieved to loose twice as much they can spend that they would come close, total world TV revenues were around 200 billions I think.
Should clarify that their market value has collapsed. The layman may not think that impacts the industry, but the biggest conglomerates are making huge changes within and talks of mergers to try and slow the bleeding. Warner Brothers Discovery by itself has over $50 billion in debt. Disney and others lost around $1 billion in their streaming businesses. Combine that with huge losses at the box office, it's not looking pretty.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/medi...s-year-heres-what-happens-next-114545901.html
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/b...wood-stocks-take-big-hits-in-2022-1235285948/

Should clarify that their market value has collapsed.
Well like Facebook and other Silicon Valley 2022 collapse, the bounce has to be considered, Netflix I imagine the biggest loser in value bounced back quite a bit, now higher than it was to open 2022, there was a fallback that occurred from the streaming rush of the lockdown

Last edited:
Hmm, so Michael Bay will be the director for all movies going forward.
He might make the same movie over and over and over again, but the man knows how to pander to his target audience. And he will not let personal pride or ego get in the way of his job which is to direct a movie that makes his employers money.
Because his movies might be objectively bad, but they rarely fail to draw a crowd.
But then again so does a train wreck…

I think you are all way over-reacting..

They are going to use an AI that is trained with what WE like, then use that to compare against new proposals. The AI isn't 'picking' what we watch, it's saying "he liked this here, so he should like that there." The proposals as far as I know will still have a human creator.

If YOU will like it, the AI knows that.

Movies sometimes cost 100's of millions to make, it's a big, risky investment. The studios trying to prevent losses is not a bad thing.

In 20 years AI might be creating even the scripts... if they suck, studios will figure that out.

On the plus side, CG/AI could recreate a young Princess Leia / Carrie Fisher and it could look and sound exactly like her. We could get a proper sequel trilogy set just a few years after RoTJ.

I think you are all way over-reacting..

They are going to use an AI that is trained with what WE like, then use that to compare against new proposals. The AI isn't 'picking' what we watch, it's saying "he liked this here, so he should like that there." The proposals as far as I know will still have a human creator.

If YOU will like it, the AI knows that.
So the new Wonka movie... did AI choose that? Or is that just old dumb Hollywood picking that? ;)

So the new Wonka movie... did AI choose that? Or is that just old dumb Hollywood picking that? ;)
I don't think so this a 2020 news and Wonka project was acquired in 2016.

It is one of the most UK powerful producer-producing house in the industry working with a many time director collaborator that started the project before the distribution rights was acquired by WB

https://www.the-numbers.com/person/195710401-David-Heyman#tab=technical

From Harry potter to Gravity to Barbie, Hollywood as rarely looked dumb to nuy distribution of Heyday Films.

Cinelytic_Graphic_2.jpg

It seem (at least back in 2019) to simply be what people took more time doing by hands before greenlight meetings, finding good list of comparable using scripts of movies, in the past people were doing in excel manually box office prediction from tracking and now it can be done for them.

this was in 2016-2017 type of techs:
But ScriptBook did share forecasts it made for movies released in 2017 and 2018, which suggest the company’s algorithms are doing a pretty good job. In a sample of 50 films, including Hereditary, Ready Player One, and A Quiet Place, just under half made a profit, giving the industry a 44 percent accuracy rate. ScriptBook’s algorithms, by comparison, correctly guessed whether a film would make money 86 percent of the time.

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1506.05382v2.pdf

And just started

He might make the same movie over and over and over again, but the man knows how to pander to his target audience. And he will not let personal pride or ego get in the way of his job which is to direct a movie that makes his employers money.
Because his movies might be objectively bad, but they rarely fail to draw a crowd.
But then again so does a train wreck…
Not in recent years. Ambulance, the last movie he directed, was a financial loss for him and his production company. Rise of the Beast looks to have just barely broken even, though there were a lot of production companies involved with that one, probably because Bay doesn't have the money to fund it himself anymore. The only thing keeping Platinum Dunes around is A Quiet Place, and Bay Films is propped up by the Transformers movies. The tepid turnout for the most recent Transformers movie leads me to think that Skydance will take complete control of the rights in the coming years, which I don't think would necessarily be a bad thing.

Michael Bay got replaced by CGI noise blockbusters/computers before it was cool, that was his final act he'll reveal in time

1689277418986.png

The Film Actors Guild is striking - AI is apparently one of the major points of contention.

The Film Actors Guild is striking - AI is apparently one of the major points of contention.
Understandably so. It's easy to see studios forcing actors to permit AI representations of themselves; I've heard talk of actors having to get 'scans.' Why pay to reshoot a scene or add extras when you can just use AI to fill in the gaps?

AI has plenty of good uses, but using it to shortchange actors... not so much.

Wonder how long it takes for you to punch in "tags" or whatever they're called, and AI just generates the movie for you.
certainly would generate a script that way. The real future is having AI generate the actual movie similar to how it generates photos. Get a custom movie that you want, no overly expensive actors running your budget up, no overly expensive special effects, basically whatever computer hours cost and you're set!

Back