Ahhhhhhh network collision...caused by new cable modem?

Daemos

Limp Gawd
So I'm on shaw, that's a Canadian ISP. Although they're rolling out Docsis 2.0 (which should be available in my area by summer) I was one of the last people on the old Docsis 1.0 standard used by my old ISP before shaw bought them out...the modem died...I got switched to a Terayon modem (shaw only uses these non-docsis modems now)

Now I should first explain how my network is plugged in. I have 2 IPs from shaw, so the modem goes into a switch, the switch leads to MY PC, and to a router. The reason my PC is on it's own, because I like having my own IP and not behind some retarded firewall that doesn't work 90% of the time :)

Anyways, ever since we got this modem, the switch has been detecting collisions...for normal internet useage like downloads and chatting it's okay, but for gaming it lags and drops connection sometimes, I'm guessing this has something to do with the modem. The collisions are probally causing some sort of packetloss somewhere, because the only traffic goes from my PC to the modem, the router to the modem and vise versa, I never touch the router, I don't even see it. We're not networked, we just share it this way...it's complex why I want my IP and why what I do doesn't work behind the router.

My reasons for this:

The with the old modem, there WERE no collisions, everything was smooth and fast.

The old modem was a Motorola Surfboard, the eithernet port on the modem was FULL DUPLEX at 100mbps
The new modem is HALF DUPLEX at 10mbps and I think that's attributing to the collisions

What do you guys think? Any solutions? any suggestions?

It's probally something to do with the modem...although I REALLY can't do anything about it as that's the ONLY modem they use...could it be a bad modem?

ill re-read your post in the morning when i can think without this headache.

i do have a q though, are you by any chance in kelowna,bc?

no I'm not in BC, I'm in Manitoba.

Docsis 2.0 is already out in Calgary, we're getting it next because half the City was already built on Docsis 1.0 (before my old ISP was bought out by shaw)

hmmm didnt know shaw went that far out.

anyway, on my lil hick town isp, they use teryion, so i know its docsis 1.0

as for the duplex. that shouldnt affect it. on my teryion modem, i game all the time, and have no issues, i dont know about the colliosion since im going through a router.

run a broadbandreports.com speed test result.

I use to have a 10 Mbps half duplex firewall and I got quite a few collisions, that's probably the cause more then anything. What model Terayon is it?

Yea, I was just informed by my brother that this ONE certain game was always like this, I'm going to go try other games when I get home.

What model Teryon...it's not one you'll find on the website.

All of shaw (well the majority) now currently is a Terayon piropitary based network (NON DOCSIS) They ARE having troubles with the network, so they are slowly switching out to Docsis 2.0

The modem is a modem designed ONLY to work on this network, thus it doesn't have a normal "docsis" model number which is all they really list.

But THIS modem IS half duplex 10mbps...that's all it is...Docsis modems (which terayon also makes modems for) are full duplex...

What model Teryon...it's not one you'll find on the website.

Should be on the modem itself, look on the back or bottom for it.. just curious, I wanted to look it up.

Hmm, yeah I'd chalk it up to a bad modem make.

About Calgary: I don't think any of the city was ever Docsis 1.0, most of the city was Motorola Propreitary.

If you have a Beige or Black CyberSurFR it is not even Docsis 1.0, its a propreitary singalling that is 30mbits down/1.5mbits up in the local cable loop. Thankfully, Shaw will be offering Motorola Surboard 5100 (Docsis 2.0) combined with their new Cisco headend equipment, which will give a full 30mbit up/30 mbit down in each local cable loop.

Back