AF in console games. Why not?

Skirrow

[H]ard|Gawd
I noticed the lack of Anisotropic Filtering on xbox games and can sort of understand because of the hardware. But it wasn't particularly noticable thanks to the low resolution.

However, I find it really annoying on 360, particularly in high def. I dont see any reason why developers dont use it. I've just bought GRAW and that particular title suffers REALLY badly from banding. It starts about 3 feet in front of your player and gets really blurry the further out you go. Apart from that the game looks great.

Blurry (http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/736/736206/img_3441516.html)

If you're not looking for it you wont notice, but when you do, it will bug the hell out of you.

I'd imagine that with a console as powerful as the 360, developers should at least have 2xAF in games. The performance hit would be negligable and would improve image quality no end.

So why not enable it?

It's very noticeable and very annoying. It's not as if the machine isn't powerful enough to do it.

Kind of ironic considering how much ATi fanb*ys go on about their HQ aniso filtering.

one solution is to get a bigger screen and it wont bother you as much, well in my case it worked.

I'd imagine with a bigger screen the problem would be worse :eek: I can see it sat 10 feet away from a 24" monitor. Dread to think what it'd be like on anything bigger

I would assume if it was possible to enable yet keep a decent frame rate they would have.

Thats why im waiting for the PC version.. The way you play the game will always be set in stone on a console.

;)

that screen looks like 4:3 to me because my tv looks NOTHING like that in 16x9 and hd.....

i think that sucks for people without a hd set.

Rugeroni said:
that screen looks like 4:3 to me because my tv looks NOTHING like that in 16x9 and hd.....

Yeah, I was gonna make the same comment. Doesn't look like this on my 62" in Hi-Def. This looks like 4x3 pan and scan from the screen shot. Also, my camera box (upper left) doesn't look fuzzy like that.

-E

[T5K]thrasher said:
I would assume if it was possible to enable yet keep a decent frame rate they would have.

It just seems really weird to me... 8xAF gives virtually no performance hit on any cards from the last couple of years, yet they aren't enabling it on any XBox360 games I've seen, and it looks awful. I'd love to know why.

It has something to do with devs being stupid and figuring that it's not important. Also, bureaucracy.

Look at pgr3 it has no AF and is very noticable watch the yellow lines while your racing. I hate having no AF on the 360.

I've been bitching about that since the release of the original XBox. These days, there is no excuse for not having it. Of course, it might just take a small update from MS to enable that, or it may be all on the game developers hands (which can still be done by an update, perhaps).

This has bugged the hell out of me for years.

I know what you are talking about but maybe they didnt have the time and know how to apply it (dev kits came late)

Maybe they will release a patch out thats turns AF on, even though you have finished it by then.

RL doesnt have AF ;) lazy devs of the universe...

though I have a 720p projector that throws a 108" screen. I sit around 13' feet away and dont notice any lack of quality do to no AF... bu hey everyone is different :)

This is also something I don't understand. 8xaf is like no performance hit at all with today's vid cards, so the 360 should be able to handle it easily.

Tetrahedron said:
RL doesnt have AF ;) lazy devs of the universe...

though I have a 720p projector that throws a 108" screen. I sit around 13' feet away and dont notice any lack of quality do to no AF... bu hey everyone is different :)

Yea. I noticed the same thing. Real life doesn't have AF!!! Then I found out I needed glasses. I guess it does.

:rolleyes:

Rugeroni said:

Same with me as it doesn't look that blurry either.

I've been running it at 1080i, and just changed to 720p to see if there was any difference. Nah. Can still notice it. Guess i'm just sensitive to it.

I snapped these two minutes ago off my LCD TV. Not sure what is up with that IGN shot (look at the uniform too...blech) but that is not an accurate representation of the game. The draw distance is WAAAAYYY further than what is being stated here. That being said, the two items I am looking at in those screens are supposed to be CARS. Anyhow....on with the pics (remember, these are photos of my 32" LCD screen so the quality is off) :

http://www.****************************/GRAW1.jpg

http://www.****************************/GRAW2.jpg

Wow, thats pretty messed up. Never seen that yet.

But thanks to those pictures, you can see the banding i was on about. In the second picture about 2 inches from the bottom you can see the line along the pavement where the detail seems to halve. then about half way up the whole thing goes to hell.

I AM assuming your running at 720p or 1080i. Do you come across the car problem often?

Skirrow said:
Wow, thats pretty messed up. Never seen that yet.

But thanks to those pictures, you can see the banding i was on about. In the second picture about 2 inches from the bottom you can see the line along the pavement where the detail seems to halve. then about half way up the whole thing goes to hell.

I AM assuming your running at 720p or 1080i. Do you come across the car problem often?

My ghost recon looks as nice if not better than the second shot, only at 1024x768 on my 32" lcd which kinda sucks (mine i mean). I run at 1366X768 on my plasma at home and wow...just wow. Its truly jaw dropping.

yeah, that first image from IGN is on S-Video at 4:3...look at the dimensions of the screen, HUD, crosscom, etc. are all to big (see the difference between my screens and theirs) and too close together. Low-res shot. :(

Back