Advice: Looking For A Small Desktop

• Thread starter Deleted member 233889
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 233889

My parents are looking to move off an early Vista desktop into something more modern. Budget is around the $500 mark and they want to stay with Windows 7/8. (They both use Windows Phones.) They already tried the tablet/phone/laptop and they are most definitely not interested. Traditional keyboard, mouse, monitor. Both of them just browse the Internet, watch movies, etc...

I haven't purchased or looked at desktops in a couple years. Suggestions?

For simple pc use, as described above, its hard to beat the Dell units in price because the components are low end stuff (nothing major required unless a gaming rig is needed) and Dell buys so much in bulk the individual has a hard time finding cheaper prices. Plus Dell throws in a year warranty too usually. Are you wanting something just cheap (price wise) or are you wanting to actually build something for them?

They could get an Intel NUC like the NUC-Kit D34010WYK or D54250WYK, they're not that inexpensive and extremely small. You'd only need to throw in appropriate RAM and a mSATA SSD.
Only disadvantage your parents might find is that there's no ODD but you could get a cheap external DVD or BluRay ODD anyhwere.

I've looked at the NUC before. The problem is I need to also replace the monitor they use. If I build out the NUC I won't have any cash left for a decent monitor. As much as I would like to budget goes first.

I've looked at the NUC before. The problem is I need to also replace the monitor they use. If I build out the NUC I won't have any cash left for a decent monitor. As much as I would like to budget goes first.

The NUC i3 is under 300. With RAM and SSD that's right at $500.

The NUC i3 is under 300. With RAM and SSD that's right at $500.

I completely agree. Now I need to add a monitor and Windows dropping us into the red. Believe me I would love to go this route.

Ahh. It wasn't clear the monitor and OS is in that budget. I'd buy something used off craigslist.

Last time I checked, the Egg was advertising the Celeron-based Asus VivoPC with Windows for under $300. It also includes a VGA port.

Have you looked at all in one win8 pcs? Quick look on newegg shows A4 and Pentium all in ones right around $500, and even a few i3 machines if you are willing to go with open box. Your parents get their traditional keyboard/mouse interface with monitor, and added bonus of touch screen if they want to play around with metro apps (although looks like some of these cheap all in ones don't have touch screen).

Back