Advice for new $2400 Setup

ARCHiTEKK

n00b
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
The main use will be for personal work as an architect which will include producing renderings, photoshop, CAD software, as well as multiple displays "will move on to new rig".
However gaming will also be involved, can't wait for BF4 and Wildstar to come out.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Let's say $2400, with tax and shipping included, (although $100-200 over won't make a big difference in the budget)

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

Canada

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Chassis, Motherboard, GPU, RAM, PSU, CPU, SSD, HDD(optional), Blu-ray/dvd player, Cooling units, aesthetic parts for appearance

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
I will definitely be reusing my monitors, as well as the current Hard drives until i transfer their data to a newer unit at some point, but the HDD transfer there's no rush.

6) Will you be overclocking?
No

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
I have a 23" 1920x1200 Cinema HD display, and a 20" 1680x1050 Cinema display

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
At the earliest convenience, definitely need it built by end of October.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
SLI support for future addition of GPU (one is enough for now), and plenty of space for storage (USB and SATA).

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes, have licensed copy of windows 7 64bit

Following are a parts list I've put together for the expected budget.

NZXT Phantom 630 Full Window - $180

EVGA GeForce GTX 780 863MHZ 3GB - $680

ASUS Z87-PLUS - $170

Intel Core i7 4770 - $320

Samsung 840 Series 250GB - $170

Corsair AX760 760W (80+Platinum) - $160

12X Blu-Ray Reader & 16X DVD Writer - $60

LEDs - $10

Corsair Vengeance Black 32GB 4x8 - $325

Corsair H60 Cooling Unit - $65

Total - $2140 (after price match, before shipping)

(updated with finalized build list)

Other than that, I'm happy with Intel and Nvidia, so not really looking for any AMD products.

Last edited:
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

Canada
What Canadian online computer hardware store will you be going to?

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes, have licensed copy of windows 7 64bit
Which version? Home Premium? Pro? etc.

Intel Core i7 4770K - $340
Since you're not overclocking, no point for you to get the Core i7 4770K. You'll be fine with the regular Core i7 4770.
ASUS Maximus VI Formula - $330
Overkill for your needs since you're not overclocking nor have you mentioned any features that the Asus Maximus only has that you would need. You'll be fine with the cheaper Asus Z87-Plus Motherboard.

Corsair AX1200I 1200W (80+Platinum) - $310
Unless you're aiming for a tri or quad-SLI setup, this PSU is way overkill for your needs. Even with your plans for SLI, you'll be fine with the Corsair AX760 760W PSU or the cheaper Corsair HX750 750W PSU.

G.SKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 2X8GB - $160
See if you can find any cheaper 2 x 8GB sets of RAM.
Thermal Compound AS5 HD - $10
The thermal paste that comes with most 3rd party HSF are just as good as AS5. Even if you want additional thermal paste for whatever reason, AS5 is an outdated choice as there are thermal paste out there that cools just as well, if not better than, as AS5 but doesn't have any of the required curing time for optimal cooling. Look at the Arctic Cooling MX-4

Would like an alternate cooling fan/radiator setup for the cpu, not sure whats good out there.
The Corsair H60 is a solid liquid cooling kit.

With the money saved on the motherboard and PSU alone, you can double the RAM and SSD size. That'll make more of a performance and longevity difference than your current PSU and motherboard choices.

What Canadian online computer hardware store will you be going to?
NCIX mostly, as they have price match if I find cheaper parts regardless.

Which version? Home Premium? Pro? etc.
64 bit enterprise

Overkill for your needs since you're not overclocking nor have you mentioned any features that the Asus Maximus only has that you would need. You'll be fine with the cheaper Asus Z87-Plus Motherboard.
Main reason I decided on that MB is because of their superior on-board sound system compared to the regular Z87-plus, I mean I'd rather spend an extra 100$ on the MB rather than buying a separate sound card.
That aside there is also the:
ASUS Maximus VI Hero - $220
Would this Motherboard suffice for the build as well?? it is only a 20$ difference from the z87 pro but still holds superior on-board audio, from my understanding.

In the case of CPU, PSU, and the cooling unit that's the perfect advice, and i've altered the list accordingly, thank you :)

So the new setup would include (with the addition of RAM and SDD due to reduced cost):

NZXT Phantom 630 Full Window - $180 (no change)

EVGA GeForce GTX 780 863MHZ 3GB - $680 (no change)

ASUS Maximus VI Hero - $220 (adjusted from formula to hero)

Intel Core i7 4770 - $320 (adjusted from 4770k to 4770)

Samsung 840 Series 250GB - $190 (adjusted from 120GB to 250GB)

Corsair AX860 860W (80+Platinum) - $180 (adjusted from 1200w to 860)

12X Blu-Ray Reader & 16X DVD Writer - $60 (no change)

LEDs - $10 (no change)

G.SKILL Ripjaws X 32GB 4X8GB - $345 (doubled from 16 to 32)

Corsair H60 Cooling Unit - $80 (added)

Total - $2265

Also would you recommend me getting the Arctic Cooling MX-4 or just stick with the stock thermal paste.

Thank you for your help :)

Main reason I decided on that MB is because of their superior on-board sound system compared to the regular Z87-plus, I mean I'd rather spend an extra 100$ on the MB rather than buying a separate sound card.
Why? It's more cost-effective to get the seperate sound card and you'll get a better sound card in the end. Not to mention that if there's any sort of issue with the audio, you'd only have to RMA the dedicated card rather than your whole motherboard.

ASUS Maximus VI Hero - $220
Would this Motherboard suffice for the build as well?? it is only a 20$ difference from the z87 pro but still holds superior on-board audio, from my understanding.
Do you actually have good speakers and/or headphones where a good sound card would make sense?
Corsair AX860 860W (80+Platinum) - $180 (adjusted from 1200w to 860)
Again, unless you're aiming for a tri-SLI setup, you don't need a 860W PSU. The $120 CAD HX750 and $160 CAD AX760 will be enough as shown in this HardOCP review where a system with a heavily overclocked Core i7 4770K and two GTX 780 SLI drew around 600W of power at full load:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/08/06/nvidia_geforce_gtx_780_sli_video_card_review/9

So that 860W PSU is still overkill for your needs.
Also would you recommend me getting the Arctic Cooling MX-4 or just stick with the stock thermal paste.
Stock thermal paste will be fine.

Do you actually have good speakers and/or headphones where a good sound card would make sense?
Yes, I have custom surround sound system setup in my office so good sound card is a must, again I'm not sure if its cheaper to get the z-87 pro and buy a sound card or just stick with the ones which are a part of maximus, I'll leave to your suggestion since I have no attachment to this motherboard to begin with. But from my understanding of what you're saying it would be better to simply buy a separate sound card for convenience and superior quality overall (correct me if I'm wrong :) )
Again, unless you're aiming for a tri-SLI setup, you don't need a 860W PSU.
Like I said, dual SLI is definitely gonna happen within the next few months, at the same time i need this rig to last me 5-6 years so future part upgrades//additions will happen and rather than replacing multiple parts, I'd rather pay a few dollars extra monthly electric bill than hundreds to buy new PSU. So basically a triple way SLI is not on the table right now, but in a year I may have to depending how much the demand of the software's I use change.

Apologies should have clarified the need for the PSU earlier, but the 1200 was definitely an overkill :)

Yes, I have custom surround sound system setup in my office so good sound card is a must, again I'm not sure if its cheaper to get the z-87 pro and buy a sound card or just stick with the ones which are a part of maximus, I'll leave to your suggestion since I have no attachment to this motherboard to begin with. But from my understanding of what you're saying it would be better to simply buy a separate sound card for convenience and superior quality overall (correct me if I'm wrong :) )
That's what I am saying. Check out the Asus Xonar DSX at the minimum and the ASus Xonar DX at the higher-end.
Like I said, dual SLI is definitely gonna happen within the next few months, at the same time i need this rig to last me 5-6 years so future part upgrades//additions will happen and rather than replacing multiple parts, I'd rather pay a few dollars extra monthly electric bill than hundreds to buy new PSU. So basically a triple way SLI is not on the table right now, but in a year I may have to depending how much the demand of the software's I use change.
I doubt that Tri-SLI will be an option for you since you're only playing at 1920x1080. If you were doing like 5760x1080, then tri-SLI would make sense. BUt only if you were going to get all three GPUs within six months. Then again, it still wouldn't make much sense from a bang from the buck sense since it might cheaper to simply sell off your old (assuming doing this 1-2 years from now) GTX 780 cards and getting two newer cards than spending additional money for that 3rd card. In other words, it's very rare for a tri-SLI setup to be a cost-effective setup after several months. Also, Note that if one had bought a solid 750W PSU five years ago, it still would be a good PSU for current systems.

Alright, adjusted the motherboard to z-87 plus, added sound card, and adjusted PSU to 760, price is pretty much exact same with added benefit of the sound card.

So adjusting these three would you say the build is solid for now then?

Really appreciate the help.

On another note, any specific RAM you would Recommend.

Last edited:
So adjusting these three would you say the build is solid for now then?
For now yes. However my parts recommendations may change in october due to changing availability and pricing. So before you buy, post a final build list in this thread so that we can make sure the build is still solid.
On another note, any specific RAM you would Recommend.
Whatever is the cheapest 8GB stick or 2 x 8GB stick of DDR3 1600 RAM rated at 1.5V you can find from G.Skill, Corsair, Kingston, Crucial etc. CAS doesn't really matter much.

For now yes. However my parts recommendations may change in october due to changing availability and pricing. So before you buy, post a final build list in this thread so that we can make sure the build is still solid.

Alright, going to place the order either tonight after work or sometime tomorrow.

So if nothing is going to change in the next market this is the part list as of now.

NZXT Phantom 630 Full Window - $180

EVGA GeForce GTX 780 863MHZ 3GB - $680

ASUS Z87-PLUS - $170

Intel Core i7 4770 - $320

Samsung 840 Series 250GB - $170

Corsair AX760 760W (80+Platinum) - $160

12X Blu-Ray Reader & 16X DVD Writer - $60

LEDs - $10

Corsair Vengeance Black 32GB 4x8 - $325

Total - $2140 (after price match, before shipping)

Cool. The only thing you have to worry about now in terms if parts selection Is whether Or not Nvidia will drop the prices of their cards if AMD's new GPUs are really as fast and are as bang for the buck as the rumors say.

Even if they do reduce the prices, would you the the 780's would rly drop much lower than they are now??
I mean although Nvidia tends to follow up on its competition with AMD, in terms of use for renderings i find them to be quite superior, while often running at cooler temperatures as well.

Even if they do reduce the prices, would you the the 780's would rly drop much lower than they are now??
I mean although Nvidia tends to follow up on its competition with AMD, in terms of use for renderings i find them to be quite superior, while often running at cooler temperatures as well.

I think it would be possible considering that the GTX 780 is priced at $650. Nvidia could drop the GPU down to $500 and still be good to go.

Well good thing i'm not going dual SLI right away then, I'll wait it out and see what happens in that case:)
Just hoping the current one can hold out until then, tired of waiting 2.5 days to do a single rendering on my current system haha.

Well good thing i'm not going dual SLI right away then, I'll wait it out and see what happens in that case:)
Just hoping the current one can hold out until then, tired of waiting 2.5 days to do a single rendering on my current system haha.

Out of curiosity, what are the specs of your current system?

Out of town right now so just from memory,
Intel 2.4ghz core2duo
Nvidia BFG 9800 gtx+
MB i recall an asus pro series, comp was built in jan 2009 so w.e was out at the time.
4x2gb ram corsair ddr2
750w thermaltake psu

and other than that like 5 HDD's and 1 SSD

The motherboard is pretty much stocked full, can\t do much else with it.

Hmm, if you don't mind coming close to your $2400 budget, another option would be:
$580 - Intel i7-4930K CPU
$225 - Asus P9X79 LE Intel X79 Motherboard
$252 - Crucial Ballistix BLS8G3D1609ES2LX0 8GB DDR3 1600 RA
$680 - EVGA GeForce GTX 780 863MHZ 3GB
$170 - Samsung 840 Series 250GB
$56 - Asus BC-12B1ST 12X Blu-Ray Reader & 16X DVD Writer
$160 - Corsair AX760 760W Modular PSU
$180 - NZXT Phantom 630 Full Window
LEDs - $10
----
Total: $2378 plus shipping

The above setup will get you two extra CPU cores and two extra threads. It will also allow you to upgrade to 64GB of RAM later on.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Definitely see the appeal in the new proposal, certainly would prove to be beneficial in the long run, but at the same time it would require an additional $500-$600 (at present prices) to finish the build in the future, not counting the additional $200 start-up fee.

So the decision remains would I rather pay up the additional fee's to extend its effectiveness for duration through the course of its life, or once again replace the current system couple of years early.

Well good food for thought while I pass out, gotta think it through now, guess the order is postponed for now :)

Definitely see the appeal in the new proposal, certainly would prove to be beneficial in the long run, but at the same time it would require an additional $500-$600 (at present prices) to finish the build in the future,

Where did you get that $500 to $600 figure from?

You know..The new X79 chips have more lanes for PCIE..
I'd definitely suggest a quality x79 board and 4930K for a multi-GPU setup.
p9x79-pro..Rampage 4 Extreme or Formula
95% of Ivy/Haswell boards are x8 x8 x4
unless they have a PLX chip (which is kind of problematic) that's what they are.
As far as GPUs..I'd save some money and go with 7970s.

You will need a good,LARGE power supply.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817121091
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151109

As far as GPUs..I'd save some money and go with 7970s.

Not a good idea if he's planning on using AutoCAD: the HD 7970 cards have been shown to be even slower than GTX 650 cards in AutoCAD:
http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/AutoDesk-AutoCAD-2013-GPU-Acceleration-164/

Since the OP is planning on using CAD software, AMD is out of the question. Even if we look at Professional grade cards, AMD is still well behind Nvidia when it comes to AutoCAD:
http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/AutoDesk-AutoCAD-2014-Professional-GPU-Acceleration-504/

You guys are making me think, the budget should be adjusted to $3000 haha.

Also, I am well aware of the limitations of AMD gpu's which is why I wanted to leave them out from the start :)

Also out of curiosity, when can we expect for amd/nvidia gpu prices to change, if at all.

Last edited:
Also, I don't know if you want me to make a new thread for this, but lets say i wait until 'black friday' sales or 'boxing day' for us canadians, with a budget of $3000, how much of a beast could we create?

Do computer part sales on those days make much of a difference?

Also, I don't know if you want me to make a new thread for this, but lets say i wait until 'black friday' sales or 'boxing day' for us canadians, with a budget of $3000, how much of a beast could we create?

Not on those particular days.

Past few years black Friday hasn't been very nice to computer hardware.

Alright got everything ordered, here's hoping for functional parts :)

Will being building another system early next year as well, look forward to it!!

Last edited:
Did you get everything in Dangman's earlier build list?

Or did you go with something else?

Did you get everything in Dangman's earlier build list?

Or did you go with something else?

I went with the original completed build list, will save up for the 2011 socket set when gen4 MOBOs that can fully support all of its functions are released, at that point I can implement a higher budget list so I can take full advantage of its functions :)

So yea, pretty much everything Dangman helped out with is incorporated into it, which should be sufficient for a while.

On those days they usually just sell EOL crap they're trying to get rid of.

Not sure why you went with Haswell on a multi-GPU config..They only have 16 pcie lanes.Expensive Haswell, too_On the bright side..I'd bet that one has PLX chip :)
so you should recover some bandwidth..but they've been known to be problematic @ times.
about x79...
"You still get 40 lanes of PCI Express connectivity, divisible into as many ports as you need for four-way CrossFire and SLI. You’re still dealing with a quad-channel memory controller, though the higher data rate increases peak bandwidth to 59.7 GB/s from 51.2 GB/s. And you’re dropping Ivy Bridge-E into the aging X79 Express platform." -source: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-4960x-ivy-bridge-e-benchmark,3557.html

Last edited:
Well current one is built and operational and has done a great job at blowing my old system away so far so lets leave that aside.

In response to the x79 chipset I was actually hoping for the new generation of 2011 Motherboards to be released before I even considering making such a rig. But seing how there are no real sales going on, I'm in no rush to get that built, I'll bite my time and read up and try to get up to date with all that i've missed in the past 5 years :) Definately been learnin quite a bit reading through these forums, thus we shall see where we are at early next year.

Back