Advice for a new build

Nexrus

Limp Gawd
Hello,

After a couple of weeks of going back and forth, I decided to build instead of buying prebuilt. I really like the idea of knowing exactly what I'm getting and also getting highly rated parts. Below is a link for what I currently have. I really wanted to get a 1070 but it was putting me way over budget. The goal is to use a 1060 for now and upgrade to something better when prices drop. I have a couple of questions that I would like help with. I would also really appreciate any advice and feedback on the build. Thank you.

-BUILD-

1. Should I pay $100 more and get the Ryzen 7? Would the Ryzen 5 cause any issues when I upgrade graphics cards?

2. Is the PSU sufficient for the parts I have? I also have this PSU that's about 5 years old. Could I save some $ and use it?

3. At the bottom the parts list it says "The Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler may require a separately available mounting adapter to fit the Asus." Is this basically saying the motherboard doesn't support the liquid cooler I have?

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming, mostly at 1080p
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$1200
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
US - Tennessee
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Everything in the parts list.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Possibly the PSU that I mentioned above.
6) Will you be overclocking?
Preferably not
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
1080p on 27"
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
ASAP
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Crossfire or SLI support? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? etc.
Just something that will support the other hardware well
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes. 64 bit

Your old psu is fine

Most will tell you there's no real point in getting 1600x over 1600

Also think most will tell you that the 1600 won't get hot enough to need that aio cooler even with 4ghz oc. Think the stock cooler on the 1600 is good for 3.7-3.8 afaik

Last edited:
Your old psu is fine

Most will tell you there's no real point in getting 1600x over 1600

Very good to know. Someone told me to get a new PSU since mine is 5 years old.

What about paying a little extra and getting that Ryzen 7?

Very good to know. Someone told me to get a new PSU since mine is 5 years old.

What about paying a little extra and getting that Ryzen 7?

I would not worry about the psu at all, it was a top tier model afaik and should last a long time. I just got rid of a mid tier 10yr old psu that was only 80+, it still was fine but I got a great deal on a 80+gold top tier so it will pay for itself in a few yrs. I would run that psu till your next build or the life of the computer without worries(they really can and do last 15-20yrs)

1600/1700 choice is really up to you, most people really dont need more that 6c/12t for gaming or anything really. But I have seen some really nice deals on the 1700 for $230

If your only running 1080p a gtx 1060 should be plenty but I would not pay $600 for 1, they come around cheaper frequently

Oh also check your memory is on the QVL for your motherboard, as ryzen can sometimes be picky with ram

Last edited:
l
I would not worry about the psu at all, it was a top tier model afaik and should last a long time. I just got rid of a mid tier 10yr old psu that was only 80+, it still was fine but I got a great deal on a 80+gold top tier so it will pay for itself in a few yrs. I would run that psu till your next build or the life of the computer without worries(they really can and do last 15-20yrs)

1600/1700 choice is really up to you, most people really dont need more that 6c/12t for gaming or anything really. But I have seen some really nice deals on the 1700 for $230

If your only running 1080p a gtx 1060 should be plenty but I would not pay $600 for 1, they come around cheaper frequently

Oh also check your memory is on the QVL for your motherboard, as ryzen can sometimes be picky with ram

Thanks for the advice - maybe I'll use my current PSU after all.

What do you mean 6c/12t? If I could find a 1700 for $230 I'd jump all over that.

I was able to grab a 1060 for $368 on newegg yesterday before they sold out.

l

Thanks for the advice - maybe I'll use my current PSU after all.

What do you mean 6c/12t? If I could find a 1700 for $230 I'd jump all over that.

I was able to grab a 1060 for $368 on newegg yesterday before they sold out.

Microcenter has the 1700 for $230 plus tax and you get a discount on the board
http://www.microcenter.com/product/..._AM4_Boxed_Processor_with_Wraith_Spire_Cooler

Anyway 1600 is 6 cores with hyperthreading so 12 threads. The 1700 is 8 cores and 16 threads(more that most programs use)
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-7-1700-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-1600/3917vs3919

For most people and gaming you will see/feel no difference in the 2

But there are a few new Ryzen cpus coming out in about 2 weeks, I would wait and see how that changes pricing

Microcenter has the 1700 for $230 plus tax and you get a discount on the board
http://www.microcenter.com/product/..._AM4_Boxed_Processor_with_Wraith_Spire_Cooler

Anyway 1600 is 6 cores with hyperthreading so 12 threads. The 1700 is 8 cores and 16 threads(more that most programs use)
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-7-1700-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-1600/3917vs3919

For most people and gaming you will see/feel no difference in the 2

But there are a few new Ryzen cpus coming out in about 2 weeks, I would wait and see how that changes pricing

Dang the closest micro center is 6 hours away! Those are some amazing deals!

Back