Advice for 1080p/1200p monitor please.

Koko56

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi.

So I've been reading some threads about monitors here and a lot of guys are pretty damn anal about them it seems. Now as far as I go - yeah the better it looks, of course the better. However not having £300-£500 or so to spend on a good IPS panel I'm looking at the £200 segment. It seems like TN panels in particular are not really welcome here. So I'm wondering - now I have the Samsung 913N - about a 4 year old monitor and it seems quite fine to me in terms of IQ. So that beings me to ask - would I see any decrease or such in a seemingly cheap 22" - 24" monitor?

Also response time - it seems that 8ms is a bit of a no-no, however the current monitor I have has a quoted 8ms response time - so would the newer models that have 8ms RT be much worse, would it be noticeable?

Would really appreciate if any of you got me up to speed with the current monitors so to say. Thanks.

TN monitors have improved from the days of your 19" monitor, generally speaking. The horizontal viewing angles have improved, and not all are 6 bit. Colors can be pretty good, with the caveat of color shifting based on viewing angles, and they are not suitable for portrait mode viewing. Since they're still cheaper to make, some of them have nice stylish bezels if you want a monitor that looks nice (aesthetically, while turned off). Be aware that some TN monitors have no ability to adjust height, which can exacerbate vertical viewing angle issues.

Many people (including myself) who want IPS panels want them because we are bothered by the viewing angles or other TN display issues, if this does not bother you, it is definitely good bang for the buck.

they are not suitable for portrait mode viewing

I have a 19" TN in portrait mode next to a 28" monitor and it looks fine. Don't be discouraged by the monitor snobs here. If you are just gaming and browsing the internet, and don't have a disposition that requires the best of the best no matter what the cost, you will be fine with a TN panel. They generally have less true blacks, worse viewing angles, and a bit of color shift, but I've found all three to be blown way out of proportion across the interwebs. Unless you are sitting at odd angles to your screens, or you expect it to look like a $1000 Dell panel, you will probably be happy with a TN.

That being said, if you are working on professional images for print, web, design, etc. Don't buy a TN panel. If you demand professional quality and color representation, pay the professional money for the professional equipment.

Still unsure as which way to go? Go to a brick and mortar and take a look at some panels. If you have a microcenter, that'd be best as they are generally more knowledgeable.

TN monitors have improved from the days of your 19" monitor, generally speaking. The horizontal viewing angles have improved, and not all are 6 bit. Colors can be pretty good, with the caveat of color shifting based on viewing angles, and they are not suitable for portrait mode viewing. Since they're still cheaper to make, some of them have nice stylish bezels if you want a monitor that looks nice (aesthetically, while turned off). Be aware that some TN monitors have no ability to adjust height, which can exacerbate vertical viewing angle issues.

Many people (including myself) who want IPS panels want them because we are bothered by the viewing angles or other TN display issues, if this does not bother you, it is definitely good bang for the buck.
Yeah - I see what you are saying, but that's the thing - of course TN panels are not ISP panels, it's just that from looking around here TN panels and such seem to be a pretty big no-no. Though ryken here, has said it - "monitor snobs" seems to be a good description.

There is the emphasis on viewing angles and with bigger displays I can see how that can have more effect - just due to the size of them.
I have a 19" TN in portrait mode next to a 28" monitor and it looks fine. Don't be discouraged by the monitor snobs here. If you are just gaming and browsing the internet, and don't have a disposition that requires the best of the best no matter what the cost, you will be fine with a TN panel. They generally have less true blacks, worse viewing angles, and a bit of color shift, but I've found all three to be blown way out of proportion across the interwebs. Unless you are sitting at odd angles to your screens, or you expect it to look like a $1000 Dell panel, you will probably be happy with a TN.

That being said, if you are working on professional images for print, web, design, etc. Don't buy a TN panel. If you demand professional quality and color representation, pay the professional money for the professional equipment.

Still unsure as which way to go? Go to a brick and mortar and take a look at some panels. If you have a microcenter, that'd be best as they are generally more knowledgeable.

As I said in the OP - I now have a Samsung 913N which is about a 4 year old TN panel with 8ms quoted RT. I don't know how to put it, so here - it has been absolutely fine. Worked perfectly well. So my main bother and the reason for this thread is this - would I see a decrease in IQ with a Samsung F2380 or a Dell G2410 for example?

The main reason for my impressions about the TN panels is that probably I don't quite realize that many people on here are quite into their monitors... so maybe that has a *little* to do with it.

Thanks for the replies people - surely would not mind at all to see more inputs from anyone. :D

As I said in the OP - I now have a Samsung 913N which is about a 4 year old TN panel with 8ms quoted RT. I don't know how to put it, so here - it has been absolutely fine. Worked perfectly well. So my main bother and the reason for this thread is this - would I see a decrease in IQ with a Samsung F2380 or a Dell G2410 for example?

Don't even go near F2380 if you are gaming.
That monitor is living proof than good TN is better choice than shitty PVA.
My friend got it and while movies and text look very nice on it it has scary ghosting like 6 years old model when he turns on CSS or DOD:S.

Don't even go near F2380 if you are gaming.
That monitor is living proof than good TN is better choice than shitty PVA.
My friend got it and while movies and text look very nice on it it has scary ghosting like 6 years old model when he turns on CSS or DOD:S.

Why is it a "shitty PVA" though? So would 8ms on the F2380 look slower than 8ms on my current monitor?

I have a 19" TN in portrait mode next to a 28" monitor and it looks fine. Don't be discouraged by the monitor snobs here. <snip>

You are truly hardcore my friend, to run a 19" TN in portrait mode. If it does not bother you, then more power to you - and I do not mean that in a condescending way; if you re-read my post it's pretty even handed. There are people who are bothered by viewing angles, and those that aren't and when making recommendations to people you don't personally know it's best to make that clear to them.

Back