Adventures in 2700X Overclocking

then i guess stay where you are with speed or you could try turning off xmp and manully set it to the xmp speeds. xmp is technically intels spec and doesnt also play nice with amd.
It doesn't work at 3400MHz at all, I don't know how it works for you but you messed up something, maybe you mean some other memory but it doesn't work for me, I tried it, it crashes
I have a patriot viper steel 3200mhz, I think it's this one from the link, only I have 2 * 8GB
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/patriot-viper-steel-dram-2x-16gb-ddr4-3200-c16,6140.html
3200mhz is I think the maximum for this memory.

Hello once again, what would be good to change in bios?
I have a ryzen 2700x and a motherboard asrock b450m steel legend.
Mostly with everything turned off and i do only manual oc from bios.
The only problem i have when i squeeze prime95 small FFT s is that i have thermal throttling of this kind according to hwinfo:
-thermal trottling (HTC)
-thermal trottling (PROCHOT EXT)
The processor temperature goes up to 86 C.

I'm also interested in what i can do with this memory, whether the latencies be lowered and how much should i try and with what voltage? I tried a mild oc at 3266MHz with 1.4V but it is unstable.
I have a patriot 2 * 8gb memory, sdram manufacturer is SK Hynix
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...vs416g320c6k_viper_steel_16gb_2.html/overview
Basic tact i believe i cannot increase only if i could reduce latencies.
Current latencies are per xmp 2 profile 16-18-18-18-36.

See pictures from the bios and the current situation:

https://i.postimg.cc/LsS0ZZC6/210603142547.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/zvyd1wBp/210603142559.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/XJH2h1Vp/210603142611.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/sfL64L6L/210603142658.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/Rh2gC3Jm/210603142704.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/kXtj1yLg/210603142718.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/Z5tw1dhF/210603142727.jpg
Do you have the most recent Bios update? Bios updates often fix memory compatibility issues ; )

It doesn't work at 3400MHz at all, I don't know how it works for you but you messed up something, maybe you mean some other memory but it doesn't work for me, I tried it, it crashes
I have a patriot viper steel 3200mhz, I think it's this one from the link, only I have 2 * 8GB
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/patriot-viper-steel-dram-2x-16gb-ddr4-3200-c16,6140.html
3200mhz is I think the maximum for this memory.
yeah sorry, when i clicked your first link, i swore it said 3400. if youre at 3200, leave it.

Just to let you know if anyone is interested, I downloaded the taiphoon burner and dram calculator for ryzen.
Dram calculator has nothing to do with the actual situation, I put on their calculation safe and fast and nothing, 3 beeps and it doesn't work.
I stumbled upon some latencies 16-17-17-17-33 by chance and it works and I set the rest as suggested by the bios, safe and fast from the dram calculator does not work even though the numbers are better ...
Here is the picture, it's my current condition, second row

Attachments

• IMG_20210604_221101.jpg
    IMG_20210604_221101.jpg
    797.2 KB · Views: 0
Dram calculator is proof that the ryzen 2700x is a dead processor, latencies in the calculator don't make any sense, they made that calculator badly and don't refresh it at all.
It is also a good topic title.
Ryzen 2700x was bought only by reviewers and some enthusiasts and then 6 months later when it came out better, they threw it away and bought it better, and now no one has real and accurate information about memories or anything related to that processor.
In gaming lost from the best intel gaming processor i7 8700k.
Good amd strategy, first they did good marketing on the first generation which was worse than 2600k in gaming.

The Ryzen DRAM Calculator has always been hit and miss. It's going to give you some possible combinations which have worked with other RAM chips the same as yours but it doesn't mean your RAM is going to be able to do what other RAM chips have done. It also depends on the specific CPU you have and the integrated memory controller. Some are better than others. For even more variance the motherboard comes into play as well. The same RAM and CPU on one motherboard might not work with the suggested settings whereas if you have them in a different motherboard they will work. Or changing out the CPU could make the settings work. It's all luck of the draw and the silicon lottery.

Also, Zen+ CPUs rarely do more than 3200mhz on RAM as the memory controller isn't the best. Tighter timings with 3200mhz RAM on a 2700x might not be achievable as the memory controller is probably running at the limit as it is.

I tried the Calculator with my 2600x and Ripjaws V 3200mhz CL16 b-die RAM and never once was I able to get any of the settings to work other than the stock XMP on an Asus B450-f Gaming board. However, the XMP settings worked perfectly. Out of curiosity I think I tried that RAM with my x570 Aorus Pro Wifi and 5800x but didn't get much extra out of the RAM so it's likely it was simply maxed out with the binning it was sold at.

The XMP profile for your RAM is probably the best or close to the best you're going to get with the combination you have.

I'm also not sure why you're complaining about performance of the 2700x. It's been out for a while and the performance is well known. It's also two generations old at this point and easily outclassed by both Zen2 and Zen3 CPUs.

The Ryzen DRAM Calculator has always been hit and miss. It's going to give you some possible combinations which have worked with other RAM chips the same as yours but it doesn't mean your RAM is going to be able to do what other RAM chips have done. It also depends on the specific CPU you have and the integrated memory controller. Some are better than others. For even more variance the motherboard comes into play as well. The same RAM and CPU on one motherboard might not work with the suggested settings whereas if you have them in a different motherboard they will work. Or changing out the CPU could make the settings work. It's all luck of the draw and the silicon lottery.

Also, Zen+ CPUs rarely do more than 3200mhz on RAM as the memory controller isn't the best. Tighter timings with 3200mhz RAM on a 2700x might not be achievable as the memory controller is probably running at the limit as it is.

I tried the Calculator with my 2600x and Ripjaws V 3200mhz CL16 b-die RAM and never once was I able to get any of the settings to work other than the stock XMP on an Asus B450-f Gaming board. However, the XMP settings worked perfectly. Out of curiosity I think I tried that RAM with my x570 Aorus Pro Wifi and 5800x but didn't get much extra out of the RAM so it's likely it was simply maxed out with the binning it was sold at.

The XMP profile for your RAM is probably the best or close to the best you're going to get with the combination you have.

I'm also not sure why you're complaining about performance of the 2700x. It's been out for a while and the performance is well known. It's also two generations old at this point and easily outclassed by both Zen2 and Zen3 CPUs.
I'm just disappointed with the performance, beat it by an Intel i5 9400f with two cores less.
My first choice was 10400f but fool i end up with 2700x and a bad motherboard for oc.

I don't know where you get that amd is much better than intel but one 5600x is practically the same as i5 11400f, somewhere intel is better and somewhere amd and somewhere they are practically the same.
Here in europe the price of amd is practically double compared to intel although intel has recently raised prices again so both are expensive in this class of budget processors.
An i5 10400f here in europe was cheap and a great choice compared to twice or more expensive and marginally faster amd 5600x, but that was even before when i bought the ryzen 2700x which was still affordable at the time.

Memtest 86 is garbage, 4 passes, about 2 and a half hours and no mistakes.
I run the windows memory diagnostic tool and it finds a hardware error in about 15 minutes.
3200mhz xmp 16-18-18-36 and neither a little above as well as the latency nor a little below, how they only managed to make it so that it doesn't overclock at all, unbelievable...

As an example to the above, I have b die's and I couldn't get past 2933 on my 2700x/b450 combo. 2700x is kind of a pain.

Everybody with half a brain cell already knows the 2700x doesn't overclock or was it ever intended to. I am perfectly fine with mine and my experience lines up exactly as SmokeRngs. Eventually ill upgrade to Zen3 or what ever AM4 maxs out with. If you invested in a garbage MB thats to bad and should have made better choices

I don't know what's happening now but now my windows memory diagnostic tool finds a hardware error on the XMP profile, everything is according to XMP except the voltage that I increased from 1.35V to 1.4V.
Is it possible for overheating to occur? It has warmed up and temperatures are higher.Is the memory or motherboard overheating? I have a problem again with the battlefield 1 game that I have a random crash of the game without any error.
Do you have any suggestions now?

I don't know what's happening now but now my windows memory diagnostic tool finds a hardware error on the XMP profile, everything is according to XMP except the voltage that I increased from 1.35V to 1.4V.
Is it possible for overheating to occur? It has warmed up and temperatures are higher.Is the memory or motherboard overheating? I have a problem again with the battlefield 1 game that I have a random crash of the game without any error.
Do you have any suggestions now?
Drop the RAM speed down to 2933. At the same time you can probably drop the voltage back down to 1.35 on the RAM. A lot of 2xxx series Ryzens could not run 3200 on the RAM but I don't think there were many if any which couldn't run 2933. If the RAM speed is the problem this will probably take care of it assuming the RAM itself isn't bad.

And before you go off about the RAM being 3200, it may not matter. The RAM is rated to run at that speed but it doesn't mean every single CPU and motherboard combo can run it at that speed. If the CPU's memory controller isn't good enough, it's not going to run RAM at that speed and dropping it down to something which it can run can take care of problems.

If it does end up stable at 2933 you can look into trying to raise the speed a little to see if you can get a little more out of it stably. Or you can try to lower memory timings for tighter timings which the RAM may be able to do since it's running at a lower speed.

Also, what is you SOC voltage running at? If it's at stock it may be a bit low for higher RAM speeds and need a small bump. My 2600x and 3200 RAM was fine with 1.0v on SOC if memory serves. Ironically, I had to drop that voltage because for whatever reason my ASUS motherboard or the XMP settings themselves had it up to 1.2v which is insane. Once I dropped that down I had a nice reduction in temps.

And again, just because RAM is sold to run at XMP speeds and timings doesn't mean it's going to run that on your system. The RAM is capable of doing so (as long as it isn't faulty) but there is no guarantee every CPU and motherboard can run it. In the case of Zen+ such as your 2700x, there is no guarantee it can run the RAM at XMP 3200 settings.

I tried soc 1.1V but it still threw a hardware error in the windows memory diagnostic tool,and it didn't before...everything is as before only now the outside temperature is higher.
Memtest86 I don't spin anymore because it doesn't make sense, in 2 and a half hours it doesn't reveal anything.
I put the bios pictures back one or two pages and how it was set up,most of it is on the auto.These are the pictures where i set the vsoc to 1.1V, it used to be on automatic,so you can tell if something is weird.
If it's vsoc on automatic i think then it even goes a little higher, before i had everything on auto 3200MHz and there were no issues until i changed the graphics card from nvidia to amd.
Then the memory problems started and in the game, in bf1 I didn't have any problems while it was nvidia card.

hwinfo4.PNGhwinfo2.PNGhwinfo3.PNGhwinfomem1.4 vsoc 1.1.PNG

I'm in the camp that you are using a crappy board that just can't run 3200.

Take note that most B450 boards are actually rehashed B350 boards... which are garbage.

Only the upper tier boards could really run 3200 mhz and up. The rest would do 2933 reliably though.

Yeah it’s true the higher end motherboards really do make a difference. I have my 2700x overclocked to 4.35ghz single core and 4.3ghz all core using the level 4 OC setting on my crosshair 7 with a -0.1V cpu voltage offset. My b-die memory is running 14-14-14-28 at 3466mhz and the system is as stable as a rock!

edit: also the crosshair 7 pushes a stock soc voltage of 1.132V so maybe try that voltage. Back when I was manual OCing to 3600mhz I set the soc voltage to 1.15V but real voltage was 1.13 so there is some vdroop that happens so experiment putting soc voltages in until the motherboard reads ~1.132V real voltage. Hope this helps!

I'm in the camp that you are using a crappy board that just can't run 3200.

Take note that most B450 boards are actually rehashed B350 boards... which are garbage.

Only the upper tier boards could really run 3200 mhz and up. The rest would do 2933 reliably though.
I set it back to 1.35V and 3200MHz but I set the latencies to automatic and not to xmp, now they are at 16-22-22-22-53-75,by xmp is 16-18-18-36,probably the motherboard can't handle it.
Maybe it will be better now, it's ok for now, bsod hasn't jumped out yet.
There is no bsod I did not get on the amd machine for now.
I got the memory management, critical process died, page fault in non paged area, video memory management internal, write to read only memory etc.
Maybe it will be better when new windows 11 come out.

This character says that it doesn't pay to switch from 2700x to 5600x, that it's not a big difference if you're a casual gamer, the real switch is ryzen 5800x.
I know that with the transition i would get lower temperatures and i would relieve the motherboard (65w vs 105w tdp) but again i lose two cores and with the b450 board i don't have pcie 4.
Would have to buy both a new b550 board and a new processor.
So i stay on this 2700x and b450.

One more thing, all these bsods that i mentioned happen when i turn on the computer, in games there are usually no problems. Could there be anything with the power supply? I have a Seasonic S12III 650w

Last edited:
A new bios has been released for the asrock b450m, version 4.1.
Brings new items for trusted computing, everything related to tpm and security and new windows 11.
Also a new agesa and improved usb compatibility.
In order to be able to flash the new bios you must first turn off the amd cpu fTPM.
It also brings some new options for the oc but I don't understand anything about it and I also have the ancient ryzen 2700x. It's probably more useful for new processors.
We are cheering for the b450 to get support for the 5600X 3D processor.
https://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/b450m steel legend/#BIOS1

I also have a whea hardware error when I run a scan with a defender + superantyspyware, it appears at the end and the error is also visible in hwinfo under windows hardware error (it shows there)
I tried everything but nothing, nothing shows in the event viewer what it is about.
I also have a lot of warnings in the event viewer.
It's that whea mistake, if you need anything else I'll put a picture of anything.
What is it about?whea.JPG

Last edited:
whats your ram voltage at, 1.35 still? is so, up it.
Is, 3200MHz, 16-22-22-22-53-75
tested with 4 passes extended windows memory diagnostic, everything is fine, downloaded the latest occt and tested the processor for half an hour and once it passed
also increased the processor and soc voltage to 1.16V
I tried with ddr ram at 1.4V (I can only set 1.35 or 1.4V, between nothing, same thing, again throws whea error
I will go crazy with that amd processor, i should have bought an intel 10400f

thats odd, running them at the same time... error in any other situation? if not, dont do that and carry on.

Why, i have 8 cores/16 and it kills it anyway.Unbelievable that I can't have defender and malwarebytes running at the same time.
Never in the history of computing has it ever once been a good idea to run two things like this at the same time. In fact it has always been a bad idea.

Never in the history of computing has it ever once been a good idea to run two things like this at the same time. In fact it has always been a bad idea.
I always do so and never had a problem so far but it is amd.It was also one of my overclocking stability tests.

Now my load of saved bios doesn't work, when I click on load bios it just freezes and I have to restart.
Now i forgot what my stable CPU voltage was while testing with prime95.
Does anyone know how to restore a completely clean bios? Although I update the bios, the settings from before I wrote remain.
I have 8 items that I renamed and I saved the settings for the bios there but it doesn't work at all now because I can't make a load of the selected bios, freezing happens.

I always do so and never had a problem so far but it is amd.It was also one of my overclocking stability tests.

Now my load of saved bios doesn't work, when I click on load bios it just freezes and I have to restart.
Now i forgot what my stable CPU voltage was while testing with prime95.
Does anyone know how to restore a completely clean bios? Although I update the bios, the settings from before I wrote remain.
I have 8 items that I renamed and I saved the settings for the bios there but it doesn't work at all now because I can't make a load of the selected bios, freezing happens.
if you save a bios profile, update the bios, there is a good chance the profile is no longer compatible. youll have start over.

if you save a bios profile, update the bios, there is a good chance the profile is no longer compatible. youll have start over.
Until recently it worked but now it doesn't work anymore, quite strange, it just freezes the screen and the mouse cursor and the only thing I can do is restart the button on the case
Namely I re-tuned and saved the same profiles in multiple places but when I go to load any profiles it just freezes.

Until recently it worked but now it doesn't work anymore, quite strange, it just freezes the screen and the mouse cursor and the only thing I can do is restart the button on the case
Namely I re-tuned and saved the same profiles in multiple places but when I go to load any profiles it just freezes.
oh. pull the battery and power cord, hit the power and let it sit to clear bios good. start over at stock.

Can anyone explain to me the difference between SOC Voltage (VID) and VDDCR_SOC Voltage or is it exactly the same?
In the bios, one excludes the other, it is in two places, and what to do now?
Is the 1.15V SOC too much for 2700x? The load goes up to 1,169V
210718133923.jpg210718133932.jpg210718133950.jpg210718134002.jpg210718134015.jpg210718134148.jpg210718134157.jpg210718134220.jpg

What is your goal here? Are you upping SOC voltage to get more stable memory speeds? Or what? If it's to hit a higher static frequency, you'll be disappointed.

Why do you have the frequency set to a static 4050mhz all core? You'd get better results just going back to defaults, enabling PBO, and calling it a day.

What is your goal here? Are you upping SOC voltage to get more stable memory speeds? Or what? If it's to hit a higher static frequency, you'll be disappointed.

Why do you have the frequency set to a static 4050mhz all core? You'd get better results just going back to defaults, enabling PBO, and calling it a day.
I like oc.I'm increasing the soc for a more stable memory, the memory is normally at 16-18-18-36 3200MHz XMP but it's for intel and this is old ancient amd cpu.And I have shit mbo,the processor is too much of a challenge for this board.
I'm interested in these questions above and not to leave everything to default,i know that myself.
I might buy a 5600X 3D if it comes out on a b450 chipset

New bios came out, for now mostly all the same with me.
1. Update AMD AM4 AGESA Combo V2 PI 1.2.0.3 Patch C
2. Enable AMD CPU fTPM in BIOS default

Back