Adding memory

Claw5

Limp Gawd
Okay- I'm not ready for a full upgrade yet, just trying to delay the inevitable.
I currently have 2x1 gb modules installed and just ordered 2x2. (also have Vista 64 on the way)
Should I just add the 4 gb to the current 2, or take out the 2 and just use the 4?
Memory is different brands, but same rated speed.
I am running the memory at a very slight overclock right now.

Thanks.

If the modules work fine together and you're using Vista64 I'd say why not run them all together? You may not utilize all 6Gb...but it's there in case you do ;)

I only have 3gb in my system right now which consists of some Adata Extreme 2x1gb and some generic 2x512mb. The Adata is ddr800, but the generic is rated for ddr533 according to the sticker...however both sets have Micron D9 chips...and the ddr533 sticks run at ddr900 perfectly fine (5-5-5-14t 2.1v).

If the modules work fine together and you're using Vista64 I'd say why not run them all together? You may not utilize all 6Gb...but it's there in case you do ;)

I only have 3gb in my system right now which consists of some Adata Extreme 2x1gb and some generic 2x512mb. The Adata is ddr800, but the generic is rated for ddr533 according to the sticker...however both sets have Micron D9 chips...and the ddr533 sticks run at ddr900 perfectly fine (5-5-5-14t 2.1v).

QFT. Also nice catch with that generic RAM.

Cool.
Left the 2gb in and just installed the 4gb.
No problems yet.
Now I just have to install Vista64.

Back