Add a second 770 2gb or cf 290/280x @ 1080?

manwich

Weaksauce
With all these awesome price cuts and new AMD cards, I'm feeling the itch to get a second 770 (2gb version) and go SLI. My setup is in my description, my monitor is 1920x1080 and I plan on sticking with that for awhile.

Sooo my question to you guys is, should I stick with the 2gb cards or move on to something with more vram (290? 280x?). Also I noticed in the [H] review, the 290 cards in crossfire actually ran smoother and performed better than SLI.

Bottom line is, I want to pair 2 gpus together. Will vram be an issue? will xfire perform better than SLI at 1920x1080?

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

With all these awesome price cuts and new AMD cards, I'm feeling the itch to get a second 770 (2gb version) and go SLI. My setup is in my description, my monitor is 1920x1080 and I plan on sticking with that for awhile.

Sooo my question to you guys is, should I stick with the 2gb cards or move on to something with more vram (290? 280x?). Also I noticed in the [H] review, the 290 cards in crossfire actually ran smoother and performed better than SLI.

Bottom line is, I want to pair 2 gpus together. Will vram be an issue? will xfire perform better than SLI at 1920x1080?

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You game at a low resolution. 2gb VRAM should be okay. If you have to go mult-gpu, the most cost effective way for you is simply add another 770. If you sell the 770 and go amd, it will cost you more because you are losing money selling the 770. Unless of course the 770 is still returnable.

You game at a low resolution. 2gb VRAM should be okay. If you have to go mult-gpu, the most cost effective way for you is simply add another 770. If you sell the 770 and go amd, it will cost you more because you are losing money selling the 770. Unless of course the 770 is still returnable.

Thank you for the response. Yea the vram is what concerns me the most, because I hear people talking about the next gen consoles bringing games that will take advantage of more vram. At the same time like you said, it would be more cost effective to just buy a second 770, and I really like this card it has given me no problems. I've only owned one Radeon card and it ran really hot and was artifacting in the first week.

The whole vRam issue is generally over hyped. I play at 6000x1200 and am using less than 2gb most of the time in Metro LL.

Grab another 770 if you want dual cards, but educate yourself on multi gpu issues if its your first go around with sli or cfx.

The whole vRam issue is generally over hyped. I play at 6000x1200 and am using less than 2gb most of the time in Metro LL.

Grab another 770 if you want dual cards, but educate yourself on multi gpu issues if its your first go around with sli or cfx.

Thanks for the response. Yea I have heard there are some drawbacks to multi gpu setups, but haven't thoroughly researched it. Should probably do that in preparation for this.

If I may ask, what gpu are you using?

(2) 770 should be fine for 1080p for a while. Unless you're at 120Hz, but even then it's acceptable. I would wait on anything faster until you're ready to step up to a higher resolution.

(2) 770 should be fine for 1080p for a while. Unless you're at 120Hz, but even then it's acceptable. I would wait on anything faster until you're ready to step up to a higher resolution.

Thanks for the input. The monitor I have now is rated @ 60Hz, but at some point I would like to get a second monitor specifically for gaming - like one of those BenQ 24" 120Hz gaming monitors (1920x1080). I would only use one monitor for gaming, and the 60Hz one for w/e. Would a 120Hz monitor be an issue since you brought it up?

Thanks for the response. Yea I have heard there are some drawbacks to multi gpu setups, but haven't thoroughly researched it. Should probably do that in preparation for this.

If I may ask, what gpu are you using?

Currebtly using a Gtx 780 lighting, had a 7970 previously, and 7970 crossfirre before that. I've had several different multi card setups in the past, they can be awesome provided you have the right case and mobo.

Here we have information showing BF4 uses nearly 2GB of GPU memory at 1080p, and even more if you set scaling over 100%.

I understand not everyone plays BF4, but I think it shows that 2GB of GPU memory isn't 'more than enough' anymore.

Here we have information showing BF4 uses nearly 2GB of GPU memory at 1080p, and even more if you set scaling over 100%.

I understand not everyone plays BF4, but I think it shows that 2GB of GPU memory isn't 'more than enough' anymore.

I'll probably never buy another Battlefield game ever again, let alone anything published from EA.

BF4 is a monstrous game, so it doesn't really surprise me. But yea this is what I was concerned with. I'll probably still pick up another 770 anyway.

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Battlefield_4-test-bf4_vram.jpg

Thanks for that info!

BF4 is a monstrous game, so it doesn't really surprise me. But yea this is what I was concerned with.

BF4 is barely an upgrade over BF3; higher resolution models, larger textures, etc., but not true 'next-gen'. Now, that doesn't mean that 2GB cards won't be usable with next-gen games, but you should expect that you'll be dialing back the settings fairly quickly.

Personally, I'd just stick with one card until prices drop again. It's not like you're hurting for performance :).

BF4 is barely an upgrade over BF3; higher resolution models, larger textures, etc., but not true 'next-gen'.

I never said it was a big upgrade from BF3 :D Although I haven't played it, I did play a lot of BF3 and BF4 doesn't look much different, and it looks its been noobed down a bit. I was just saying its a big game with a lot happening, as with every BF game.

And I'll never buy another BF game because BF:BC2 always crashes for me after playing for like 10 minutes, and from what I hear every BF game since then has done the same for PC. (I played BF3 on xbox) so screw EA.

Every BF game has had stability issues at launch- not so much after, depending on the quality of the system and the drivers used. They get things straightened out quick enough, but I understand if it's not your type of game. BF held no interest for me till they made stuff destructable :).

I've played every BF game except for BC1 and BF4, and probably some others I didn't know about.. I love the game I but I also hate it (especially BF3..), and I hate what it's becoming.

I'm quite happy with GTX680 SLI and have not noticed any issues with 2GB cards in SLI at this time. At least not at 1080P @ 120hz.

I'm quite happy with GTX680 SLI and have not noticed any issues with 2GB cards in SLI at this time. At least not at 1080P @ 120hz.

Hey thanks for the post. That's good to hear since my 770 is a rebranded 680 :D

Back