Ad Supported Vending Machine?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Check this out, a vending machine that dispenses free beverages if you watch an ad first. Wow, now this is the kind of advertising I can get behind.

Aiming to launch next month in Japan, the MediCafe project will give users the option of plunking down the ¥70 ($0.58) to ¥120 ($1) required to purchase an item, or watching an advertisement for half a minute while the machine dispenses their liquid of choice.

30 seconds for a can of pop? I'd do it definitely, as would many others, which lies the problem--HUGE lines.

yeah well, if this idea reaches the US, it will be transformed into "watch 30 sec ad on all vending machines, still pay same price." :D

I can see a bleak future with long lines of human drones sulking about, submitting themselves to an assault of colorfully blinding ad's while their daily allotment of nutrient enriched bio-paste squirts into a cup.. :eek:

The cool thing is it will never know that i'm watching a movie on my zune. Lets hope it doesn't quiz you about teh ad after its over.

yeah well, if this idea reaches the US, it will be transformed into "watch 30 sec ad on all vending machines, still pay same price." :D

You say that jokingly, but that really is probably what would happen. The drink manufacturers would report the growth in profit they're experiencing, turn around and tell everybody "You might be paying full price AND having to watch ads, but it's saving you money. No, really." People would turn around and defend them too saying "Yeah, if it wasn't for those ads we'd all have to pay more for our drinks, thank you for the ads!" /cough videogames

hell..i'd take half the price if i could watch an ad. paying 70 cents for a bottle of soda would be great on a college campus. haha

I would rather it just spit out quarters after it was done. Let's see.....if 30 seconds = $.58 then my time is worth $69.60 an hour to advertisers. I should tell my boss I am worth alot more than he thinks!

DISCLAMER: Commercial may contain subliminal messaging :D

Yeah, subliminal msg tells you to use the pop in the pay machine next to it :D

The cool thing is it will never know that i'm watching a movie on my zune. Lets hope it doesn't quiz you about teh ad after its over.

Yeah, they would be forced to quiz people, I can't see that this would fly as people would press the button and sit there ignoring the ad.

You say that jokingly, but that really is probably what would happen. The drink manufacturers would report the growth in profit they're experiencing, turn around and tell everybody "You might be paying full price AND having to watch ads, but it's saving you money. No, really." People would turn around and defend them too saying "Yeah, if it wasn't for those ads we'd all have to pay more for our drinks, thank you for the ads!" /cough videogames

Sad and true :(.

Back