Achieving Fiber-Optic Speeds Over Copper Lines

Rofl-Mic-Lofl

For Whom The Bell Trolls
A networking trick called “phantom mode”, invented in 1886, could dramatically increase the speeds of data communication over copper lines.
”The technology combines three existing techniques, known as bonding, vectoring, and DSL phantom mode. It can reach speeds of 300 megabits per second at a distance of 400 meters from a communications hub, and 100 megabits per second at one kilometer.”

I guess that is hackers used this DSL tech they would be called a "Phantom Menace". :D

Love to see this happen,since Verizon shows no sign of getting FiOS installed in my neighborhood in my lifetime!:mad:

Or they could just realize how shitty telephone wire is for high data rate applications and just run fiber. :rolleyes:

Love to see this happen,since Verizon shows no sign of getting FiOS installed in my neighborhood in my lifetime!:mad:

They recently halted expansion, pal :(

Unfortunately Verizon has no control many of the areas into which they would love to expand, previous deals with cable companies and other providers are keeping them out.
http://www.consumerfiber.com/fios-availability

Even though millions of people have already signed up for FiOS, many can only dream of getting FiOS' blazing fast internet speeds and crystal-clear tv in their homes. FiOS availability varies from city to city and not all areas can get Internet, TV, and phone services. This guide will help you find current availability for your home and introduce you to the special online offer that Verizon is running for a limited time

Verizon is expanding its FiOS footprint as fast as they can. If you've seen Verizon trucks buring fiber in your neighborhood, there's a good chance you'll soon be able to order FiOS. Unfortunately the expansion process is tedious since Verizon has to acquire permission from each locality before it can begin installation. In addition the local cable companies usually lobby against Verizon FiOS, since FiOS will make a huge impact on their market share

The people of our township took the township and Comcast to court to allow FIOS.

I always hear about these new ways of boosting dsl speeds past 100mb but no one has ever implemented any of them yet. Its all talk.

On March 26th Verizon stated they will not be wiring any new cities with FIOS. Although if they're in your city already, you might still get it spread to your neighborhood.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100326/ap_on_hi_te/us_tec_verizon_fios

From your link:

But Verizon is nearing the end of its program to replace copper phone lines with optical fibers that provide much higher Internet speeds and TV service. Its focus is now on completing the network in the communities where it's already secured "franchises," the rights to sell TV service that rivals cable, said spokeswoman Heather Wilner.

This is pretty much what I already said. The need to be able to obtain new franchise areas. Those are controlled by your local governments.

meaningless technology. current problem with dsl is most people are too far away from a central office. to combat this they have installed remote terminals which can serve 10k to 15k feet, but at a 2500' limitation the technology cannot work as an upgrade to existing infrastructure.

From your link:

This is pretty much what I already said. The need to be able to obtain new franchise areas. Those are controlled by your local governments.

I know, but that doesn't change the fact that they're not going to venture into new towns for awhile. :confused:

This reminds me of Dolby Pro Logic II, in which engineers found a way to send four signals down a pair of cables.

Meh not that big a deal both my telco and my friends up north are playing around with with quad-channel modems which give you 100Mb total downstream. I couldn't tell you much more than that. I go to Docsis 3.0 CMTS training here in the week then I'll be a bit more up to date.

Meh not that big a deal both my telco and my friends up north are playing around with with quad-channel modems which give you 100Mb total downstream. I couldn't tell you much more than that. I go to Docsis 3.0 CMTS training here in the week then I'll be a bit more up to date.

Sorry that should have said 100Mbit+

that's cable, but cable is a totally different infrastructure from twisted pair.

Neat idea, no real use. Part of the problem is, as noted, the range. 1km is crap, very few people have that or less wire length to the phone company's equipment. So while there might be a tiny portion of subscribers it'd work for, it wouldn't be enough to deploy it. Then, on top of that, it takes 4 wires, not two. That's fine, you can run two pair to a house, but not all have that. So you have to be near the DSLAM and you have to have two pairs running to your place. Just not enough people.

If you are going to have to build out infrastructure and run new wire to the customer premises anyhow, it makes sense to just run coax or fibre since they support more bandwidth.

my house has 4 phone wires going into the house. it was built in the early 70's and wired by verizon for 4 phonelines :eek: no idea why. if they can just put signal through all 4 of them and give me max bandwidth on each, i can comfortably get 30mbit+ consistantly unlike cable which depends on shared bandwidth. most houses should have at least 2 wires, so you would have 8 twisted pairs to work with. problem is, the companies just want more money, not better service. unless they get competition, they wont upgrade and theyll charge you the same insane price. period.

Never heard of quad pair bounding for dsl before, not unless that is just bounded copper pair.

wow...that speed would be nice but that range is a total stinker

yeah, that is pretty limited for the distance.

I giggle at all these speed #'s. I did work for a major Telco and I also have their service at home (10Mbit dsl) and what I find is that most of these speeds are "UP To 10Mb" there is no obligation to give you these speeds.

my 10Mb service degraded over a period, and I took it upon myself to find out why.

I am connected to a Anymedia dslam, and at the start of service I had a SNR down of 12 and an attenuation of 40. Which for 1.4miles out is nice but not great. It has since gone down to a SNR of 6 down. I started my own Trouble Ticket and sent a tech out. The tech said everything was good. So I left it. It got worse and my modem would kick out and drop the dsl. I had a tech go back out (another tech) and he told me the telco knew about a "WET" 200 pair cable and he moved me over to another cable. Since the move our service has gone up.

The point im trying to make is "Ma Bell's" old copper is expensive to keep in check and telco tech's will lie again and again to not dig up a cable or move customers to a better pair. I was lucky since I worked for the company. I did print my ticket up to keep on hand if I have issues in the future. Its a roll of the dice with copper lines and DSL. You might be in a area that offers the speed , but the telco's copper might be junk!

Haha, yeah people within 1km of their exchange, all few hundred of them.

We really need to get with the times, fibre rollout is a must, the UK is actually at about 50% coverage for fibre, a great deal of that is DOCSIS3.0 FTTC so capable of 200/300mbit easy, currently the fastest package is 50mbit, this is with virgin media.

Sounds like places such as the US aren't a great deal better although it's all a bit cheaper over there. The UK is debating an extra tax on phone lines to cover the cost of fibre rollout across most of the UK which I greatly support, I think that's getting shot down though, lame :/

1000m is nothing let me know when its 10000m most people are 5k to 20k from the RT this is useless
ditch the copper already

So basically you have to live right next to a communications hub to get the speeds. How abundant are these hubs? Is there one in every neighborhood or is it more rare than that? If it is rare than this is useless, especially if you live more than 2 miles from a hub.... 1 kilometer isn't even a full mile...

range might be useful for small towns. i know some dsl services are really setup every few hundred meters as silly as it is. the 1km option sounds more promising for small towns

A Dslam cabinet costs ~ 10,000-20,000 depending on the amount of people it will serve. That and the fiber to connect them. Dslams are ~ 3 - 5 miles apart in most areas. This means ~ 5 miles out 768k is top speed and ~ 1mile you can get ~ 10Mb or more depending on line quality. As far as fiber to the home its a matter of fiber Db strength. Say a contractor hits a fiber line... to repair the optics requires a unit that will fuse the connection and if its not possible to repair it to original quality the speeds will take a hit.

Its amazing on how many DSL dslams are fed by multiple T1 lines and use QoS to serve people. Most if not all Telco's face capacity issues now and will deny the issue and tell a customer that they have PC issues.

Capacity issues in areas that I served were 1/2 - 1 full year out before they "might" get a additional T1 line added. Which 1.5Mb will just put a patch on the problem.

The FCC has no power when it comes to a customers right to quality service as of late. It like the FCC just cant seem to put the big guys in their place.

Or they could just realize how shitty telephone wire is for high data rate applications and just run fiber. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, no company is interested in spending $750 to $1000 per home to completely change their network. Even Verizon is coming to its senses on that.

Invented by Doctor Emmett Lathrop Brown. Look it up.
Great Scott!

doc_brown-full-1.jpg

I knew I had heard that name somewhere!

Back