Achieva Shimian QH270| $400 IPS 2560x1440 Korean Monitor

There is no input lag with the Korean monitors with dvi only imput. I've played some of the recent beta games, Diablo 3, TERA, Path of Exile and Guild Wars 2. Played them in a window and I did not experienced any lag in the games. There is also no ghosting playing these.

Again, why would you folks buy a monitor with 1440p resolution to play games in a .............. window?

Admittedly, no matter what monitor any of us chooses, we all have to make compromises. To be honest it ticks me off. The industry can certainly do better.

The main reason I have a 2560x1440 is to have two web browsers opened side by side. I like playing games in a widow and be able to quickly switch to a browser.

Again, why would you folks buy a monitor with 1440p resolution to play games in a .............. window?

Admittedly, no matter what monitor any of us chooses, we all have to make compromises. To be honest it ticks me off. The industry can certainly do better.

'stretch to fit works on every game I've used it on' The colors look better on this than on my TN and no lag that I can see

Main difference from the ACD and the local Korean brands are the display grade of the same LG panels, A+ for Apple and A- from the Korea ones. All in all, saving a ton of money makes a lot of sense for many people.

You left out build quality and Apple support. While I am usually very critical of Apple, their customer service and support is the best in the industry. The build quality of the ACD is simply awesome. (Yes it should be for $1k.)

The first thing I was trying to address was the infatuation with the 120 hz feature which really isn't a factor given the gpu's currently available.

Additionally it is my opinion based on the same anecdotal evidence everyone else is using that the quality and value of these monitors is questionable. For me, I've decided they're not worth considering. (In fact I expect that after 3 to 6 months of ownership many of them will 'crap' out.) My opinion is as valid as anyone else's.

So I don't have to monopolize my screen for a single task? I treat this like having multiple smaller displays. See my earlier post on this topic:
I play in a large window, the game takes up as much space as it did on my 19" display, plus room to have browser, email, chat, GameFAQs, this forum, etc. open at the same time. For me, it's the productivity of having 2+ displays worth of screen real estate in a single contiguous display. When I had 2 monitors, I played games on the right one and had other software on the left, and this isn't much different for me.

In fact I expect that after 3 to 6 months of ownership many of them will 'crap' out.

Again, these are the same product you can buy off the shelf in Korea at a store. Products in Korea have warranties, too and products have standards. Just because a middleman US-based retailer did not make a bunch of money on the sale does not somehow make the product a lemon.

For $1000, I can buy 3 of the Korean monitors. Why would these not last more than 3 to 6 months? The brands may be Korean manufacturers, but they are legit manufacturers. They have to answer to their local buyers so if they make crappy monitors, they would not be around.

You left out build quality and Apple support. While I am usually very critical of Apple, their customer service and support is the best in the industry. The build quality of the ACD is simply awesome. (Yes it should be for $1k.)

Additionally it is my opinion based on the same anecdotal evidence everyone else is using that the quality and value of these monitors is questionable. For me, I've decided they're not worth considering. (In fact I expect that after 3 to 6 months of ownership many of them will 'crap' out.) My opinion is as valid as anyone else's.

While build quality is certainly an issue, my primary concern is with the quality of the panel itself. I don't expect to need a lot of customer service regarding my monitor after purchase. While I am aware that I might have to spend $120 extra to send it back if my monitor is DOA, the odds of that happening are quite low. Yes, apple has some of the best build quality out there. I'm typing this on a 13" macbook air which I purchased because when I bought this, non of the PC makers produced anything even close to the air in build quality for anything less than 1.5 times the price, but a monitor is much more simple than a laptop or desktop.

Your argument is the equivalent of arguing that one should buy a Porsche rather than an aftermarket turbocharged Subaru BRZ because the customer service and build quality is better. No one is arguing that point, but not everyone can afford to buy a Porsche. At this point you're speculating for the purposes of thread crapping. You've established you aren't going to buy one, so why are you still here?

I'd rather get a great deal, have to buy a monitor stand, and take a chance than spend $1k I don't have. That's why I, and I think a lot of other people, are here.

[edit] Also, MontyAC has a point. These were on the market in Korea at the price we get them for plus reasonable markup and shipping before we found out about them here. They weren't created by some fly by night company for sales to stupid americans looking for a deal. It's likely that these companies have some of the same factories that assemble much more expensive displays assemble these. It seems as if you're one of those people that thinks that if something is cheap it can't possibly compare favorably to the more expensive thing. This is often, but not always the case.

For $1000, I can buy 3 of the Korean monitors. Why would these not last more than 3 to 6 months? The brands may be Korean manufacturers, but they are legit manufacturers. They have to answer to their local buyers so if they make crappy monitors, they would not be around.

And most if not all of them have an external power supply, which are usually the first things to crap out on monitors, so one can simply just get a new power brick if that happens. An LCD panel is an LCD panel (talking about the actual IPS panels on these Shimians/Catleaps/etc.) It's not like a quality hamburger vs some fast food hamburger where different "materials" are used to make it.

So I don't have to monopolize my screen for a single task? I treat this like having multiple smaller displays. See my earlier post on this topic:

Again, these are the same product you can buy off the shelf in Korea at a store. Products in Korea have warranties, too and products have standards. Just because a middleman US-based retailer did not make a bunch of money on the sale does not somehow make the product a lemon.

I did a search on Yamakasi, The only thing I could find was a company that appears to be Witech Instrument Co, LTD

11 to 50 employees. If anyone can shed some light on this I'd love to hear it.

Achieva is similar: http://www.sell123.org/company/South-Korea/635533.htm

Your argument is the equivalent of arguing that one should buy a Porsche rather than an aftermarket turbocharged Subaru BRZ because the customer service and build quality is better. No one is arguing that point, but not everyone can afford to buy a Porsche. At this point you're speculating for the purposes of thread crapping. You've established you aren't going to buy one, so why are you still here?

Because I think there is far too much positive spin on these monitors.

The Porsche and Subaru BRZ comparison is wrong. It's the difference between a Porsche and Ford Fiesta, imho.

I did a search on Yamakasi, The only thing I could find was a company that appears to be Witech Instrument Co, LTD

11 to 50 employees. If anyone can shed some light on this I'd love to hear it.

Achieva is similar: http://www.sell123.org/company/South-Korea/635533.htm

Good job searching for Korean companies on English websites, Sherlock.

At this point you're speculating for the purposes of thread crapping. You've established you aren't going to buy one, so why are you still here?

QFT.

Unless you own one of these monitors, how can you judge? You are just speculating and thread capping here. Move on if you have no interest on these monitors.

What do you guys mean about playing games in a window? I can't play games fullscreen with one of these monitors? Or do you just mean most of us will be video card limited?

I'm planning on purchasing a gtx 670 when they're available. Will this be enough to power one of these monitors?

It takes some serious horsepower to push a lot of games at 2560x1440. Most games will run fine with a recent midrange card though.

What do you guys mean about playing games in a window? I can't play games fullscreen with one of these monitors? Or do you just mean most of us will be video card limited?

I'm planning on purchasing a gtx 670 when they're available. Will this be enough to power one of these monitors?

You can play games in full screen on any display. What they were talking about is playing in windowed mode out of personal preference or because they have a need to multi-task while playing a game and the advantages of being able to do so on a single screen instead of multiple screens. The video card in use can also be a limiting factor in deciding to play in windowed or fullscreen.

As far as what card will be enough, it depends on the game and the settings in use as well as the CPU, etc. I have seen reviews where a HD 6850 will run WoW at 2560x1440 with over 60 FPS but it doesn't mention what the in game settings were and there are a lot of reviews that omit what the game settings were in various other games.

Then there are games like AvP where even the newest cards struggle at higher resolutions with the in game settings at max.

It's hard to give anyone a definitive answer about what FPS they will see at whatever resolution as hardware and OS conditions vary. Your best bet is to Google reviews on the 670 and see what sort of FPS legitimate review/hardware sites are getting and compare your system specs to theirs.

About the games you guys are talking about whats wrong with selecting aspect scaling from the gpu options? I did that for witcher 2 (as my gtx 570 cant get decent framerates at 1440p am running at 1080p)) and the picture quality is still awesome. Am i missing something with the scaling? other than the fact that its not the native res. Sure in windows it looks funny but in games i cant notice anything. Is that normal?

The Porsche and Subaru BRZ comparison is wrong. It's the difference between a Porsche and Ford Fiesta, imho.

I'll take the Ford Fiesta. 0-60 in 1.9 seconds? Yes please. Much like the OC'd version of these otherwise tame monitors. ;)

Regarding performance on these monitors...yes I have hit 135hz. But, yes, I'm only running it at 100hz because of SLI's limitations. However, at 100hz, with dual gtx 680's, I'm able to max out pretty much all games at ultra, 2560x1440, with FXAA. Even a single OC'd gtx 680 did 50-75fps on BF3 at full ultra, 2560x1440. So I'm not going to complain. But, you shouldn't assume everyone is going to spend $1200 on an sli setup to game on these monitors. Some will just turn down settings a bit. Sacrifice worth making. And being 1440p, I find that 720p (such as my PVR) looks absolutely brilliant on this monitor because of the 4:1 ratio. No one's forcing anyone to get these monitors. But they are, indeed, quite brilliant. I've purchased a couple of them. And one for my dad's birthday. He hasn't had any issues and has fallen in love with it as well. So I think there is some reason behind 27" 1440p IPS displays being so popular at just a $350 price point.

Ken-Block-Ford-Fiesta-Rally-Car-31.jpg

Last edited:

I don't see the infatuation with the ACD 27".

You pay $1000.00 for a one year warranty. Yes, there is AppleCare but that is additional cost. Most monitors that are not "economy" screens have a three year warranty.

Furthermore it's an A version of the same panel with nearly identical characteristics.

Additionally people can turn off anti-aliasing in a lot of games because the tighter dot pitch of these 27" screens allows them to, as well as playing games at a lower resolution and have the GPU scale it up.

If you have nothing to input or share information other than googling Korean companies there's no reason for you to participate here.

I realize you are trying to do the public good in steering all the rest of us suckers away from this prospective waste of money, but really you are just raining on the parade.

About the games you guys are talking about whats wrong with selecting aspect scaling from the gpu options? I did that for witcher 2 (as my gtx 570 cant get decent framerates at 1440p am running at 1080p)) and the picture quality is still awesome. Am i missing something with the scaling? other than the fact that its not the native res. Sure in windows it looks funny but in games i cant notice anything. Is that normal?

Nothing wrong with that, and yes it does look much better in games than on the desktop.

Is there a good chance these will go UP in price eventually, or are these going to stay at this price/go down in price over the coming months? I want to sort out my finances and see if I can afford this; it sounds too good to pass up.

Looks like ACD panels have lower acceptable quality than the Korean models. I'm glad my PCBank arrived with no dead or stuck pixels.

I personally liked the refusal to replace it a second time if it's also "within spec". That pretty much throws panel quality and customer service directly out the window and places the ACD at 3.125 times the cost (prior to any tax or s&h) with a loophole to sell someone a highly inferior panel. Even bargain basement displays in the 22" to 30" range will repair or replace well before 9+ bright pixels, 11+ dark pixels, or 16+ combined. That is a huge CYA range at the expense of the customer and their income for something that's supposed to be a premium display.

While policies can potentially always be waived, they exist for a reason and, it's absurd this policy even exists in it's current form.

The difference is that Apple is buying known A+ panels from LG. At work we have lots of ACDs of varying models, and not a single one has any dead or stuck pixels. Again, the comparison to the ACD is hardly apples-to-apples and I'm really not sure why people keep dragging it into this thread.

The difference is that Apple is buying known A+ panels from LG. At work we have lots of ACDs of varying models, and not a single one has any dead or stuck pixels. Again, the comparison to the ACD is hardly apples-to-apples and I'm really not sure why people keep dragging it into this thread.

Because people keep saying that these are inferior panels and if someone wants a perfect one then they should buy dell, hp, apple because they use A+ panels. Which is not the case. Google apple cinema display and stuck pixels and you will find quite some results. Dell as well, they allow upto 4 dead pixels before replacing your monitor (u2711). As a manufacturer, why allow defects if you are supposedly paying LG a premium price for a premium A+ panel? Doesn't add up.

Because people keep saying that these are inferior panels and if someone wants a perfect one then they should buy dell, hp, apple because they use A+ panels. Which is not the case. Google apple cinema display and stuck pixels and you will find quite some results. Dell as well, they allow upto 4 dead pixels before replacing your monitor (u2711). As a manufacturer, why allow defects if you are supposedly paying LG a premium price for a premium A+ panel? Doesn't add up.

Apple is definitely using A+ rated panels. We have whole offices full of them and they're all perfect. If one of them wasn't perfect we would have it exchanged. I would not expect to be able to order a whole office worth of these Korean displays and have them all be perfect.

Apple return policies are always subjective anyway and up to the person at the Genius Bar who assists you, regardless of whatever Apple's written policies are.

The "perfect pixel" garuntee allows up to 5 dead pixels.

And pixel defects are not the only defects that can afflict LCD panels; backlight irregularity, bad light distribution, backlight bleed, colour quality, power use....

I had Dell advance replace my 30" 3008WFP in the first 30 days no questions asked, it had a dead pixel, but I played the excessive backlight bleeding card instead. Got a brand new one, panel was perfect.

Also, this whole Panel class thing sounds like a load of hogwash, if many (the majority?) of these so-called A- panels from Korea have no dead pixels (my 2 do not and are perfect, no backlight bleed, even backlighting, etc), then why does Apple and Dell and many others with so called "A+" panels often get so stuck with dead pixels? If they were A+ panels then dead pixels of any kind should be unacceptable.... especially if these A- panels without any dead pixels are getting shoved in cheap Korean monitors.

I never seen anyone explain this....

The first thing I was trying to address was the infatuation with the 120 hz feature which really isn't a factor given the gpu's currently available.

Admittedly so. However the price difference vs. image is hardly worth a 250% markup to Apple. You do not get that much of a jump in component quality, less in image quality, and warranty is negated by SquareTrade. A 3 yrs replacement or repair warranty is 50.00 (or less with a coupon) - so once again even if it dies in 3 - 6 months (which I doubt) I'll either get my money back or a repaired monitor - both outcomes I deem acceptable low percentage risk for the immense savings vs an ACD.

I had Dell advance replace my 30" 3008WFP in the first 30 days no questions asked, it had a dead pixel, but I played the excessive backlight bleeding card instead. Got a brand new one, panel was perfect.

Also, this whole Panel class thing sounds like a load of hogwash, if many (the majority?) of these so-called A- panels from Korea have no dead pixels (my 2 do not and are perfect, no backlight bleed, even backlighting, etc), then why does Apple and Dell and many others with so called "A+" panels often get so stuck with dead pixels? If they were A+ panels then dead pixels of any kind should be unacceptable.... especially if these A- panels without any dead pixels are getting shoved in cheap Korean monitors.

Very good question and observations imho, something is afoot here with LG and their class ratings but i don't think we'll ever know the exact truth unless an insider explains it all to us.

Suffice it is to say that the overwhelming majority of these Korean monitors are arriving in conditions ranging from good/acceptable to near-perfect, from a consumer-grade monitor standpoint that is.

Last edited:
The testing procedure probably involves pushing the pixels beyond normal usage limits (more volts into each pixel or something).

I bought an ACD store pickup to bestbuy and have had it over year now. I did it that way because I could return it to store, and because BB's ext warranty was only like $50 and lasted a few years longer than apple's which cost more besides. However if this $400 shipped deal , even with cheaper housing, was around then I would have jumped on it. I did manage to get in on the samsung 120hz 27" tn for $399 though.. and now most 27" 120hz tn's are around $650. So I saved maybe $250 here instead of $600 there I guess (though return-ability, local warranty, and the metal housing might be of some value compared out of that $600) :b .. If I were in the market, I would snag one of these for desktop/app real-estate, ppi, uniformity, gorgeous imagery, and later on get a 120hz TN dedicated to gaming someday when the prices go down again. So similar pair to mine for most likely $800 (+ maybe a monoprice/amazon monitor stand perhaps ~ $900) .. rather than the $1100 + $400 + 100 ~ $1600 I paid off on 12mo no interest deals. That's assuming the 27" 120hz tn's go down in price/sale similar to what I got them for again. I still have no regrets.
If these are similar to the ACD for $400 even not using for gaming at all in the long run is a no brainer imo.

If these are similar to the ACD for $400 even not using for gaming at all in the long run is a no brainer imo.
What's better is that prices have dropped even further, down to $320-$325 shipped :)

And with the 10% tech coupon (expired), people were getting them for around $300 shipped a few weeks ago.

Admittedly so. However the price difference vs. image is hardly worth a 250% markup to Apple. You do not get that much of a jump in component quality, less in image quality, and warranty is negated by SquareTrade. A 3 yrs replacement or repair warranty is 50.00 (or less with a coupon) - so once again even if it dies in 3 - 6 months (which I doubt) I'll either get my money back or a repaired monitor - both outcomes I deem acceptable low percentage risk for the immense savings vs an ACD.

Eventually. The SquareTrade warranty doesn't pickup until after the manufacturer's warranty ends so, if it dies within 3 to 6 months you would have to wait another 9 to 6 months to be able to use the SquareTrade warranty. I'm not trying to split hairs here, I just don't want anyone to get the impression the SquareTrade warranty applies coverage from the date of purchase.

From the ST site.

Waiting Period: 45 days from item purchase
Coverage End Date: 3 Years from coverage start

Pretty good monitor deal and coverage for 375.00 total (had a couple ebucks). vs. acd or dell or hp. Looks amazing playing games (which I don't do often). GF is an Apple snob and we were comparing photos I needed to photoshop for her. She was impressed with the resolution and color and detail. I keep my old monitor as a backup so I'm set no matter what happens. In the end it's about being happy with what you get. I'm happy and the ST gives me the peace of mind coverage to make it a great deal..... for me.

Last edited:
Just ordered the ACHIEVA Shimian QH270-IPSMS (hdmi port, etc) from fleabay. Hope it is as great as everyone says it is!

Looking forward to joining the club.

I think that some defects slip through quality control, for instance I have an LCD (jut a cheapo TN panel) and it was perfect then 1 month later I noticed a stuck blue pixel, it comes and goes at will. The point is no one would catch that. Sime pixels probably just are not there the first day they test the panel. The other option is that over the year of progress they have just become so efficient at producing perfect panels that the big OEMs can no longer sell enough (especially at those prices) to drain the stock. So now they dump A+ panels into the market and perhaps mislabel them A- on purpose. This is basically what intel did for years with celeron vs pentium CPUs.

No need to argue people we all know that these displays cut corners, cheaper stands, no scalars, the point though is that for most of us we simply do not care about those options. I look at the panel and it looks damn good to me, I have seen an ACD to compare it too, heck I can't tell the difference. But even if there is a difference it is not important because I was never going to drop $1000 on an extra monitor. I think alot of the people here would never have a panel this nice if it were not for these prices. People who are over worried or care about specific details can happily buy the $1000 monitors. Others will settle for the Korean monitors.

Just in case you guys were interested....

120hz.NET - New Server will be up by Wednesday, hopefully if all goes well
120hz Monitors - First batch AVAILABLE MONDAY

More info about potential pre-orders/etc to come. :)

So I seem to have a small problem with my catleap.
Every morning I turn on my pc after the windows loading splash screen I get this:

600x450px-LL-5f27b76a_20120430_143237.jpeg

After I do a hard reset then everything is working fine until next morning when I have to do the same thing again. Anyone knows what's going on?

Back