Acer XB270HA 27", 1080p, g-sync, 144Hz

kuhla

Limp Gawd
Saw it here (along with other g-sync monitors): http://www.overclockers.co.uk/search_results.php?keywords="G-Sync"&cat=17

Did a search on here and did not see anyone talking about this monitor. Other than the resolution, it would seem to offer a lot of the same advantages of the Asus Swift for almost half the price (assuming the price scaling is the same when it comes here). Note the advertised 8-bit. Not a clue on release date of course.... same story as the Asus...

Specification:
- G-Sync Technology
- 3D Vision Technology
- Flicker-less Technology
- Height Adjust stand with tilt, swivel and pivot
- Display Screen Size: 27"
- Aspect ratio: 16:9
- Panel Type: TN
- Brightness: 300cd/m2
- Contrast Ratio: 1000:1 (Typ)
- Dynamic Contrast Ratio: 10,000,000
- Resolution: 1920x1080 144Hz
- Response Time: 1ms (GTG)
- Colurs: 16.7M
- Bits: 8 bits
- Viewing Angle (H / V ): 170 ° / 160 °
- Connectivity: 1x DisplayPort 1.2 (144Hz)
- USB Hub 3.0: Yes (1up, 4down)
- VESA: 100x100mm
- Speakers: No
- Warranty: 2yr

and what about 8 bits?
it is 6bit+A-FCR that for all practical purposes is as good as 8bit, especially at 144Hz (the faster refresh rate of panel the better temporal dithering)

it in no way make TN panel good in reproducing colors cause you still have bad viewing angles :eek:

and what about 8 bits?

It's just sort of unique. The Asus ROG Swift PG278Q also has an 8-bit TN panel and is the only other one that has such a panel and TFT Central tested it as having pretty good colors our of the box (for a TN). If this is also has an 8-bit AU Optronics panel, I hope it inherits some of that.

I thought the XB270HA was the G-Sync version? That link on newegg says otherwise.

This unboxing has no mention of G-Sync on the box.

Great to see other options are finally starting to appear. Personally waiting for the BenQ but that 8bit panel was a pleasant surprise though that I've missed.

At least this monitor looks decent without any ugly red or green color stripes like AOC and Philips. xD

I'm over 1080p... Can we get some more GSync options that are 1440p, especially at 27"+, pretty please?

I thought the XB270HA was the G-Sync version? That link on newegg says otherwise. This unboxing has no mention of G-Sync on the box.

Hmmmm. These were the only product pages I could find: http://www.acer.co.ee/ac/en/EE/content/compare/UM.HB0EE.A01-UM.HB0EE.005 and that lines up with what you said, that the model that ends with HA is gsync and the one that ends in just A does not mentioned gsync at all. However the Newegg product page clearly states g-sync and the model name is described as "XB270H Abprz". Not sure what to think about all that.

Great to see other options are finally starting to appear. Personally waiting for the BenQ but that 8bit panel was a pleasant surprise though that I've missed.

I'm a bit of a BenQ fan, been enjoying their monitors for a number of years now, so I'm also kind of eager to see what they bring to the table. I think they tend to do a good job at gaming monitors.

I'm over 1080p... Can we get some more GSync options that are 1440p, especially at 27"+, pretty please?

Might be waiting a while on that one. Partial list of current/upcoming models and the ASUS Swift is the only 1440p thing on there, the rest are 1080p or 4K: http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/list-of-gsync-monitors/

I thought the XB270HA was the G-Sync version? That link on newegg says otherwise. This unboxing has no mention of G-Sync on the box.
Hmmmm. These were the only product pages I could find: http://www.acer.co.ee/ac/en/EE/content/compare/UM.HB0EE.A01-UM.HB0EE.005 and that lines up with what you said, that the model that ends with HA is gsync and the one that ends in just A does not mentioned gsync at all. However the Newegg product page clearly states g-sync and the model name is described as "XB270H Abprz". Not sure what to think about all that.

Looking at it a bit more, take a look at the URL/product numbers on the official site and on newegg......

Newegg shopping page: Model = XB270H Abprz (UM.HB0AA.A01)

ACER g-sync model page = look at the URL (UM.HB0EE.A01)

ACER non-g-sync model page = look at the URL (UM.HB0EE.005)

I just ordered one.

Apparently they're in stock at Newegg. I got a shipment notification today but it just says "Data Entry". But then it has a delivery date of September 9th... so, who knows.

I'll let you guys know if I find out more info, or at the very least when/if I get it on the 9th we'll know for sure.

EDIT: Delivery date estimate changed to Sep 8th (Monday). Nice! Newegg shows out of stock now for anyone that was waiting. :(

Last edited:
Looking at it a bit more, take a look at the URL/product numbers on the official site and on newegg......

Newegg shopping page: Model = XB270H Abprz (UM.HB0AA.A01)

ACER g-sync model page = look at the URL (UM.HB0EE.A01)

ACER non-g-sync model page = look at the URL (UM.HB0EE.005)

So confusing but it seems like the one on newegg is in fact the g-sync version.

I think the non-G-Sync model is XB270Hbmjdprz which looks to be available from Amazon Germany right now.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
So confusing but it seems like the one on newegg is in fact the g-sync version.

I think the non-G-Sync model is XB270Hbmjdprz which looks to be available from Amazon Germany right now.

Jesus christ.... do they ACTUALLY face roll their keyboard for product names?!

XB270Pxicuv (not real I just made it up)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Having had this monitor for a few days now, I thought I'd give some of my opinions on it:

Pros:
- Nice matte screen. Not over done (at least to me). I'm coming from a glossy Korean IPS display so I do prefer glossy, but I don't mind a mild matte.
- No dead pixels
- No backlight bleed
- No splotchiness to the screen
- 144Hz is amazing with g-sync. I've never had a 120/144Hz screen before, so I wasn't really prepared for the difference in smoothness. I don't think I can go back now. No tearing and no apparent slowness when frames drop below max refresh thanks to g-sync. It's pretty amazing to see in person.
- Nice stand with plenty of adjustments and goes very low/close to the desk if desired.
- No power brick. (some people may prefer a brick but I really don't)
- No speakers. (Newegg incorrectly states it has speakers) I don't know who would actually use crappy built-in speakers on a gaming monitor...
- Simple, effective menu interface with unobtrusive buttons on the front. No fumbling around on the sides or bottom.
- Has both g-sync and ULMB so you have options. I don't like how dark ULMB makes the screen though due to the black frames it inserts.
- Did I mention g-sync? Yeah, g-sync is the real deal. It's worth every penny. It just works, and that's the best compliment to any technology in my opinion.

Neutral:
- Typical TN color shifting. I've had TN panels in the past so I was expecting it. It is what it is.

Cons:
- Screen seems 6-bit + dithering to me. I could be wrong, but don't get your hopes up that it's some magical 8-bit TN panel.
- Piano black plastic bezel and base. Why have a matte screen and glossy surround? Makes no sense to me.
- Bright blue power button sometimes shines right in my eye if I lean back in the chair. It's kind of cheap looking the way they placed it between the buttons. It's the only blemish on an otherwise great looking monitor package as a whole.
- Screen uniformity. Bottom half of the screen is a bit brighter than the top half. It's not really back light bleed, just something I notice on solid black backgrounds. I don't see it when gaming.
- Pixels on a 27" 1080p screen are big. Something to consider. I've been gaming since Atari 2600 days and huge pixels so it's never really bothered me. I knew what I was getting into. AA takes care of it for me. Still, I do miss my 1440p screen a bit... but I surely don't miss the input lag and slower refresh rates of the IPS.
- Screen wobbles a bit sometimes when I'm typing. Wish it was held a bit tighter on the arm.

Some other things to consider:
- I've had the dreaded sync loss / black screen when loading up Diablo 3 sometimes. But that might be more to do with the fact that D3 doesn't work with g-sync, or anything over 60Hz. D3 just plain has issues in general with stutter and jerkiness... Every other game I've tried has worked fine and no issues. I'm going to chalk this up to a driver problem on Nvidia's end or with poor programming on Blizzard's end.
- I sent back a BenQ BL3200PT that I bought right before this. Remeber this, size and resolution isn't everything when your main goal is gaming performance. That monitor just didn't have it. Way too much blur and input lag. The colors on that BenQ blew this monitor away, but it also had a nasty glow all around the edges (similar to IPS glow) that really distracted me on a monitor that big, and horrible uniformity. But 32" is definitely what I want to go back to eventually once we get 120Hz+ 4k monitors and video cards that can handle that (I can dream, right?)
- I had considered the Asus ROG Swift, but I couldn't swallow the $800 price tag and screen imperfections that everyone has been complaining about would drive me insane. That monitor seems to have too many to take a chance with.

If anyone has questions about the monitor, feel free to ask. Information about this monitor is hard to come by for some reason.

Most Acer's suffer from really obvious overshoot ghosting and lack overdrive options (some Acer's overdrive can be changed by accessing the service menu)...

Usually Blur Busters Ghosting Test makes monitors overshoot. The Fastest image here overshoots.

This monitor has Off, Normal, and Extreme. I've got mine set to Normal, which is the default.

EDIT: I can switch it on the fly during the test and see the changes... Normal looks best to me. Extreme has the horrible overshoot of which you speak.

Last edited:
Most Acer's suffer from really obvious overshoot ghosting and lack overdrive options (some Acer's overdrive can be changed by accessing the service menu)...

Usually Blur Busters Ghosting Test makes monitors overshoot. The Fastest image here overshoots.
This monitor has Off, Normal, and Extreme. I've got mine set to Normal, which is the default.

EDIT: I can switch it on the fly during the test and see the changes... Normal looks best to me. Extreme has the horrible overshoot of which you speak.

I've seen this with tft central reviews of a few other brands too (Ben Q Z series and ASUS ROG) and I'm starting to think it's a good rule of thumb to avoid the most aggressive overdrive setting and go for the next step down.

What is up with that? They seem to be the only place selling them so I guess they figure they'll just charge whatever they want?

Are you still satisfied with the Acer? I too am considering the BenQ 3200PT vs the Acer XB270. I also have the Asus ROG Swift devil on my shoulder. I just picked up two GTX 980s and decided it is high time for a new monitor, but I just can't make up my mind if I want resolution or speed. I tried the LG 34", but it was just too disorienting being that wide and flat. Plus I don't know if I could go back to TN after so many years of IPS, but many people have reported the TN of the Acer is better than most. Decisions, decisions.

Are you still satisfied with the Acer? I too am considering the BenQ 3200PT vs the Acer XB270. I also have the Asus ROG Swift devil on my shoulder. I just picked up two GTX 980s and decided it is high time for a new monitor, but I just can't make up my mind if I want resolution or speed. I tried the LG 34", but it was just too disorienting being that wide and flat. Plus I don't know if I could go back to TN after so many years of IPS, but many people have reported the TN of the Acer is better than most. Decisions, decisions.

Ive been banging IPS for MANY years. I switched to the swift and it took about a week to adjust now I do not even notice and I am as OCD as they come. I wouldnt go back at this point. LOVE GSYNC its a major game changer Gsync and 144hz make ever going back to 60hz impossible. aint ever happening EVER

Ive been banging IPS for MANY years. I switched to the swift and it took about a week to adjust now I do not even notice and I am as OCD as they come. I wouldnt go back at this point. LOVE GSYNC its a major game changer Gsync and 144hz make ever going back to 60hz impossible. aint ever happening EVER

Thanks for the input. My only issue with the Swift is lack of availability. Really annoying it is so hard to get. Might just go Acer for that reason alone. Plus it seems to have fewer DP problems.

I'm really happy with my Acer XB270H. The only hurdle you're going to have is whether or not 1080p will satisfy you. The monitor screen itself is perfect. I had a bit of trouble going from my 1440p IPS down to 1080p. But, once I ran a game at 144Hz I didn't care anymore. G-Sync works perfectly. I loaded up World of Warcraft @ 144Hz and g-sync on. I varied in fps from 60 to about 140 with all settings maxed and it was the smoothest experience I ever had in the game. Zero stutter and zero tearing. That was with 680s in SLI. And with the announcement that the new 970/980 have resolution enhancement, I'm curious to see how much it improves the image quality at 1080p.

This Acer TN is pretty nice. It's never going to match the colors of an IPS/VA, and it's going to have horizontal gamma shift like all TNs, but it's not the end of the world. I sure don't miss IPS/VA glow. That 3200PT might as well be IPS for all the glow it had in the corners of the screen. You'd have to sit over 4 feet away from it to mostly get rid of it. Plus, the screen on the BenQ 3200PT had horrible uniformity, and from the sounds of it, so does the ROG Swift. Some people don't notice it, but it annoys the hell out of me. This Acer has a nice uniform screen (minus the TN gamma shift of course) but I don't notice unless I move my head around.

I'm really happy with my Acer XB270H. The only hurdle you're going to have is whether or not 1080p will satisfy you. The monitor screen itself is perfect. I had a bit of trouble going from my 1440p IPS down to 1080p. But, once I ran a game at 144Hz I didn't care anymore. G-Sync works perfectly. I loaded up World of Warcraft @ 144Hz and g-sync on. I varied in fps from 60 to about 140 with all settings maxed and it was the smoothest experience I ever had in the game. Zero stutter and zero tearing. That was with 680s in SLI. And with the announcement that the new 970/980 have resolution enhancement, I'm curious to see how much it improves the image quality at 1080p.

This Acer TN is pretty nice. It's never going to match the colors of an IPS/VA, and it's going to have horizontal gamma shift like all TNs, but it's not the end of the world. I sure don't miss IPS/VA glow. That 3200PT might as well be IPS for all the glow it had in the corners of the screen. You'd have to sit over 4 feet away from it to mostly get rid of it. Plus, the screen on the BenQ 3200PT had horrible uniformity, and from the sounds of it, so does the ROG Swift. Some people don't notice it, but it annoys the hell out of me. This Acer has a nice uniform screen (minus the TN gamma shift of course) but I don't notice unless I move my head around.

I do wonder how a G-Sync monitor compares to a monitor such as the BenQ XL2720Z? Having never used a G-Sync monitor I can't imagine the difference. I have used other 144hz monitors in the past and was blown away by the smoothness, but the TN panels were atrocious. This was a year or two ago and I am assuming they have improved since.

I do wonder how a G-Sync monitor compares to a monitor such as the BenQ XL2720Z? Having never used a G-Sync monitor I can't imagine the difference. I have used other 144hz monitors in the past and was blown away by the smoothness, but the TN panels were atrocious. This was a year or two ago and I am assuming they have improved since.

When you say "atrocious", what aspects are you referring to?

Gamma shift primarily and poor color rendering.

Gamma shift is definitely present. I mean it is what it is. It's a TN, but it's at least a quality one. I find the color rendering to be acceptable. If I had my choice of a higher-than-60Hz monitor that wasn't a TN, and had V-Sync on it, I would never buy a TN. I don't have that option unfortunately. It's obvious this monitor was designed to play FPS type games on, not render colors 100% accurately. But, I've never turned this monitor on and said, "these colors are terrible".

Gamma shift is definitely present. I mean it is what it is. It's a TN, but it's at least a quality one. I find the color rendering to be acceptable. If I had my choice of a higher-than-60Hz monitor that wasn't a TN, and had V-Sync on it, I would never buy a TN. I don't have that option unfortunately. It's obvious this monitor was designed to play FPS type games on, not render colors 100% accurately. But, I've never turned this monitor on and said, "these colors are terrible".

Thanks Astral Abyss. That's what I was looking for.

Are there any G-sync monitors on the horizon that are 24" with an 8-bit panel? I wish this one was 24" instead of 27".

Mainly the native resolution of 1080p in relation to the monitor size. Although to be honest, I've no personal experience with a 1080p 27" monitor. I've only seen countless statements about 22-24" being the ideal max range for a 1080p monitor with regard to pixel density.

Mainly the native resolution of 1080p in relation to the monitor size. Although to be honest, I've no personal experience with a 1080p 27" monitor. I've only seen countless statements about 22-24" being the ideal max range for a 1080p monitor with regard to pixel density.
I'm on a VG278HE right now, and the pixel pitch (0.311mm) doesn't bother me at all when gaming. I can make out individual pixels when watching video, though, but my PC is almost exclusively used for gaming. I think the general consensus is that a pitch of 0.24-0.27mm is ideal for desktop use where you're going to be sitting around 2' away, and 1080p at 24" is right on the edge at 0.276mm.

Are there any G-sync monitors on the horizon that are 24" with an 8-bit panel? I wish this one was 24" instead of 27".

Not that I have heard of, I'm hoping for one too. I think the AOC and BenQ monitors are still using the same 6 bit panel from last year, re-released with Gsync (and a $200 price increase). Asus hasn't released any details on anything but the Swift.

Well, I bit the bullet and purchased one from Newegg Business with a $50 off coupon. $50 more than the original $499 MSRP but it looks like Acer decided to bump this price up themselves according to their website product page. Credit card price protection to the rescue if the price drops again in <3 months!

I'm gonna figure out a way to place the monitor back a bit more, probably using a VESA desk mount and pushing my desk a bit farther away from the wall. On the plus side, I'll be freeing up desk space with this configuration. I'm upgrading from a Dell 2209WA 22" monitor with a 1680x1050 resolution, excited to see the difference wrt gaming.

I think I may get this monitor to try out G-sync/144hz,right now I'm using a Catleap IPS @60hz (never seen 144hz before). I've been going back and forth between a ROG and the LG 34um95 but I'm so damn curious about G-sync that I'll never be able to enjoy the UM95 without at least trying it first. I really wish the ROG was available but seeing as I'm also going to have to buy an Nvidia card with this monitor it is probably a smarter money decision anyway. I don't think the 27"/1080p thing will bother me much as I have a 40" TV at my desk that I play all my consoles on.

Whatever you decide to do, keep in mind if you plan on purchasing it from Newegg Business that the $50 off $599+ coupon will end on the 30th of this month. My order is still sitting in the packaging stage, I'm hoping it ships today so I can get my hands on it by Friday!

Well, I bit the bullet and purchased one from Newegg Business with a $50 off coupon. $50 more than the original $499 MSRP but it looks like Acer decided to bump this price up themselves according to their website product page. Credit card price protection to the rescue if the price drops again in <3 months!

I'm gonna figure out a way to place the monitor back a bit more, probably using a VESA desk mount and pushing my desk a bit farther away from the wall. On the plus side, I'll be freeing up desk space with this configuration. I'm upgrading from a Dell 2209WA 22" monitor with a 1680x1050 resolution, excited to see the difference wrt gaming.

Does Newegg Business require any verification or can anyone sign up?

I don't think this monitor is worth $599, and I own one. I don't really think any 1080p monitor is.

I did not need to be verified when I ordered from Newegg Business. As for the monitor being priced at $599, yeah, probably not worth it at that price. I'm willing to meet them halfway to that original MSRP so I can fully enjoy my new 970 now while I have more time to do so. People who were able to get in on the introductory price got a good deal.

I was waiting for the non-G-sync version of this monitor that's why I didn't bite on the $499 price but it looks it's not going to be sold in the US. The official Acer page has the MSRP for the G-sync version for$599 so I guess that's the correct price after all.

Back