Acer Predator XB271HU - 27" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync IPS ULMB 144hz

What is Acer saying about your order... are they out of stock and just taking orders on website in hopes they get more soon???
I'd call that effectively no BLB. Nice. Now if only Acer would SHIP MY FUCKING PANEL that I ordered last Monday. :(

I was initially going to hold onto the PG278Q I got since the 279Q looks to be plagued with QC issues then I saw Vega's review.... Setup alert on nowinstock.net , got a text 30 mins later, ordered this badboy off Amazon. It looks like they only got a shipment of 15 and it was gone within 10 minutes.

yeah, gotta ask... why 2? i get 1 or 3....

I ended up going with the XF270hu so I could stick with AMD. I run a dual display setup just for the space, not for gaming. If I put a third to my left, it'd block the projection screen so I wouldn't be able to see movies being played from my desk ;)

What is Acer saying about your order... are they out of stock and just taking orders on website in hopes they get more soon???

I keep mentioning how it said it was "in stock" when I ordered, but they have no response for that. They also have no idea whatsoever when they will get more or ship mine. I would cancel instantly if there was another option.

Fedex just sent me email that my monitor has shipped from Acer. I didnt get any email from Acer but I had called them this morning and they told me it will ship today.

I keep mentioning how it said it was "in stock" when I ordered, but they have no response for that. They also have no idea whatsoever when they will get more or ship mine. I would cancel instantly if there was another option.

that bottom is really bad... is it pretty apparent in dark games or movies?

I would send it back.

I am hoping my unit is good.. its coming tomorrow.. hopefully 3rd times a charm (ASUS, Dell and now Acer).

Yeah, it's pretty noticeable in any dark scenes in games. I haven't tried movies but I could see it being pretty distracting there as well. It amazes me that my 3 year old, $300 Korean 1440p IPS monitor has almost 0 backlight bleed and absolutely no yellow tint while $800 monitors can look like this.

I'll most likely send it back, just debating with myself whether I want to deal with a replacement now or just get a refund and try again in a few months.

Hopefully yours is better!

It amazes me that my 3 year old, $300 Korean 1440p IPS monitor has almost 0 backlight bleed and absolutely no yellow tint while $800 monitors can look like this.

Indeed. AUO doesn't seem to have the QC that LG does.

Maybe one day LG will get into the game on 120/144hz panels.

Just curious, what brightness setting was the monitor at?

That was at 30. It does look a lot brighter than in your video. Not sure if that's just the camera or if it's caused by the BLB.

Just setup my monitor and its great. Absolutely no backlight bleed I can tell... far better than the ASUS. There is a very tiny amount at the bottom of the panel but its hardly noticeable at all.

There looks to be a single dead pixel.. it feels more like an underpowered pixel than a dead one... not bothersome at all. I have to really squint hard and look at it very closely to notice it at all.
I am not going to worry about it... this is a keeper.

Acer thanks for changing your design to mitigate the BLB problem.

Colors are fantastic as well after I calibrated and lowered the brightness to 30. The white looks pretty uniform to me.

Just setup my monitor and its great. Absolutely no backlight bleed I can tell... far better than the ASUS. There is a very tiny amount at the bottom of the panel but its hardly noticeable at all.

There looks to be a single dead pixel.. it feels more like an underpowered pixel than a dead one... not bothersome at all. I have to really squint hard and look at it very closely to notice it at all.
I am not going to worry about it... this is a keeper.

Acer thanks for changing your design to mitigate the BLB problem.

Colors are fantastic as well after I calibrated and lowered the brightness to 30. The white looks pretty uniform to me.

Could you post some pics, specifically some of black, grey, and white uniformity tests?

Just ordered a monitor from shopBLT.com , I've never ordered from these guys before so I'm hoping for the best.

Well mine is going back. BLB is pretty bad, and there's a very noticeable dust speck near the center of the display.

Guess I'll play with gsync and 144hz to see if it's worth getting another lotto ticket.

Im still waiting for mine from shopBLT, all the defects and complaints people are having I'm a bit worried about mine having issues. This is my first gsync gaming monitor and im coming from the Asus vg248qe 144hz, using the light boost edit... I wanted to get the best gaming monitor 27in on the market right now, and I chose this over the ROG swift TN and ROG ips, everyone seems to be making think differently ?

Im still waiting for mine from shopBLT, all the defects and complaints people are having I'm a bit worried about mine having issues. This is my first gsync gaming monitor and im coming from the Asus vg248qe 144hz, using the light boost edit... I wanted to get the best gaming monitor 27in on the market right now, and I chose this over the ROG swift TN and ROG ips, everyone seems to be making think differently ?

look for Vega's post in this thread

Doing some testing. I haven't aligned/curved the panels yet so that's why the bezel gaps appear different size. Once I'm done, they will all appear thin like the right side.

Got mine from Acer direct yesterday. Just need to finish my new build to test it out, so stoked!!

fedex delivered mine last night. I ordered from amazon on tuesday so pretty fast shipping. Quickly unpacked it and tested dark room test. Promptly packed up my asus and returned it shortly after.
Here's a quick video shot from my iphone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7Pz3np6HV0

That looks pretty damn good.

I got mine as well. No pictures to share - there is some backlight bleed, but it's not too bad. 1 or 2 stuck/dead pixels that aren't very noticeable in my view. I will probably be keeping it.

My replacement monitor arrived. Fortunately there are no dead pixels nor dust from a first glance over. Now I just need to wait until it gets a bit darker to test backlight bleed. If this one is acceptable, I'm debating returning my PG279q or using that as a secondary monitor where the bleed won't be such a big deal.

*EDIT*

A little less backlight bleed than the PG279q, but it's still there. Both are still worse than my Cintiq & ColorEdge

The Acer monitor also feels flimsier than the Asus. I can see the monitor wobble when I type or move my mouse which is probably due to the stand. Color wise, it's much warmer than the Predator. Some calibration will definitely be needed as whites are very yellow via the base temps. OSD wise, the ASUS is also better.

But still, as a gaming monitor, The Acer wins out due to needing to play less of the panel lottery.

Last edited:
I just got mine today. No bad pixels or blb, but displayport doesn't work. HDMI works fine. I've tried these suggested fixes from other forums: updating my GPU and mobo BIOS and setting my windows power option to "High Performance" but it still isn't working. Any suggestions? Should I buy another dp cable? I'm running stock gtx 980tis in SLI on an Asus z97a USB 3.1 mobo and Windows 8.0.

Do you have another monitor hooked up to your 980ti's? And if they are hooked up to the same card?

I know under SLI, you can't use monitors that are connected to different cards unless if you enable surround, but if it is the only monitor being connected, try other DPs on your GPUs?

Got mine in from Amazon. No dead pixels. Fantastic build quality. There is definitely some glow at the edges. What do I use to test BLB. Coming from TN definitely this is an upgrade. GSync is amazing.

Can you please post settings to use (please tell me menu settings) and how to check uniformity, reduce glow and BLB. Many thanks in advance. Got my goodies for the weekend too.

qgRtk6G.jpg

B5A1Ge7.jpg

Do you have another monitor hooked up to your 980ti's? And if they are hooked up to the same card?

I know under SLI, you can't use monitors that are connected to different cards unless if you enable surround, but if it is the only monitor being connected, try other DPs on your GPUs?

I had an old Dell 2007wfp monitor connected to DVI but disconnected it. I've tried all six of the dps on the cards as well as the dp output on my motherboard but no dice. I've ordered another cable; I need a longer one anyway. This is infuriating; using HDMI with this hardware is like having Adele sing at Madison Square Garden through a toy karaoke set.

fedex delivered mine last night. I ordered from amazon on tuesday so pretty fast shipping. Quickly unpacked it and tested dark room test. Promptly packed up my asus and returned it shortly after.
Here's a quick video shot from my iphone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7Pz3np6HV0

Looks like IPS glow and very minimal at that. For an IPS that looks impressivly dark, I'm not sure why you returned it. Have you used IPS before?

Back