Acer Nitro XV273K - 27", 4k, 144Hz, Strobing, 10-bit, 97%+ DCI-P3, HDR 400, Freesync/"Gsync"

This monitor looks nice but nothing making me want to upgrade from 60Hz true G-Sync that can do VRR below 45fps which is important for 2070
Also DCI-P3 isn't really that good for text sharpness so I will just wait for something more substantial.

This monitor looks nice but nothing making me want to upgrade from 60Hz true G-Sync that can do VRR below 45fps which is important for 2070
Also DCI-P3 isn't really that good for text sharpness so I will just wait for something more substantial.

Referenced multiple times in this thread, the xb273k is the Gsync variant of this monitor. And also, I don’t think you understand color spaces.

Can you provide details here? Asking out of curiosity
For one subpixel font rendering on wide gamut in native gamut mode will have stronger colorization. Ideal case for subpixel font rendering would be no color filters at all in which case you would simply get monitor with tripple horizontal resolution.
sRGB emulation takes each pixel, create 3x3 matrix from and multiply it with 3x3 matrix to get color corrected pixel - or use 3D LUT approach which result in similar effect - which is perfect for correcting larger color space to smaller and even to correct gamut when monitor color space does not cover target color space for colors inside monitor's gamut.
It have unfortunately negative effect on geometry of subpixels which int his case do not represent shape they did before.

This can be actually shown. In below image top left image is enlarged text from Win10 ClearType and next to it representation of what monitor actually displays (under color filters obviously... adding colors would make image less readable and would be too much work anyway...) without any color correction whatsoever. Below is gray scale image which is a form of gamut correction and next to it its representation of what monitor displays.
FRA0NsW.png

It is obviously extreme case of gamut reduction and DCI-P3 to sRGB will be nowhere as destructive to font shape.
Because however DCI-P3 is quite larger than sRGB the shape change is certainly visible.

I have RGB-LED monitor with gamut even larger than DCI-P3 and see this effect pretty clearly when using gamut emulation, especially since it is just 94 PPI so subtle details like these are very much visible.
It might not be so obvious at first and that is why this effect is rarely mentioned and basically absent from people consciousness but with keen eye and especially with sRGB native gamut monitor with similar PPI next to it difference is quite obvious. Using native gamut improves font shape but it still looks worse due to subpixel font rendering colorization artifacts and obviously sRGB is the mode that should be used for normal work. Especially browsing internet with wide gamut would is pretty ridiculously over-saturated looking...

Similarly with two 27" 4K monitors next to each other, one native sRGB and one DCI-P3 with sRGB emulation it should be possible to see that native sRGB one is superior in text rendering, especially with DCI-P3 using sRGB gamut emulation. Of course it would be nothing as severe as I observed with my LP2480zx mind you.

It is not something which would make me not get such DCI-P3 monitor over sRGB if I was buying it now as I like wide-gamut screens. It is however a valid reason to not throw my money at it when I already have screen with exactly the same size and resolution which I use for text 99% of the time anyway.

Referenced multiple times in this thread, the xb273k is the Gsync variant of this monitor. And also, I don’t think you understand color spaces.
G-Sync will be better than Freesync for NV users but in this case G-Sync tax might be just too much...
At first I suspected XV273K would support VRR over HDMI - killer feature for console gaming - but it seems it does not support this feature. Too bad =(
It however means than other loosing AMD VRR support G-Sync version is not worse than Freesync version in this regards so for NV users G-Sync version should be better.

As for comment about my knowledge about color spaces... LOL ROFL
Ask me anything =)

It is not something which would make me not get such DCI-P3 monitor over sRGB if I was buying it now as I like wide-gamut screens. It is however a valid reason to not throw my money at it when I already have screen with exactly the same size and resolution which I use for text 99% of the time anyway.

As for comment about my knowledge about color spaces... LOL ROFL
Ask me anything =)

Your own inconsistencies are now what bothers me. DCI-P3 is enough or a problem to count this monitor out, but you gladly buy wider gamut displays and even indeed your current display is wide gamut with DCI-P3 coverage.
The sRGB emulation on this particular monitor is quite good. If the rest of the upgrades that this display also have don't interest you then great. Personally I feel like I'm moving off of it myself after wanting something much better for content creation. I vacillate between wanting that full 10-bit and perfect color rendition (with full DCI-P3) versus being okay with some level of compromises in order to have a display that "does everything".

Your own inconsistencies are now what bothers me. DCI-P3 is enough or a problem to count this monitor out, but you gladly buy wider gamut displays and even indeed your current display is wide gamut with DCI-P3 coverage.
The sRGB emulation on this particular monitor is quite good. If the rest of the upgrades that this display also have don't interest you then great. Personally I feel like I'm moving off of it myself after wanting something much better for content creation. I vacillate between wanting that full 10-bit and perfect color rendition (with full DCI-P3) versus being okay with some level of compromises in order to have a display that "does everything".
Text rendering is something that is a valid reason for me personally because I use my Acer XB271HK almost exclusively for things where I read/write text and I already have it thus zero cost and zero hassle to keep it. With my weak RTX 2070 GPU and no plans to get 1000-1500$ one this year it doesn't make much sense to get new one with the same size and resolution especially considering the one thing I do the most on this monitor is text and it would be worse - even if a tiny bit. I also use 100% scaling and sit relatively far away from monitor.

I use HP LP2480zx as my secondary monitor where I watch videos and it is calibrated to Rec.709. I do not use its wide-gamut capability at all and if I did need to I already have it... even three such monitors because they were dirty cheap =) Also I haven't even played single game on my Acer since I got Oculus Rift so that is that...

And again, I didn't say DCI-P3 to sRGB emulation breaks text rendering, it just makes it somewhat worse. If I was getting new monitor I would get HDR capable one but that would be different situation.

I know that people like to simplify things. Facts such as that some nice feature is not without its drawbacks can be irritating, especially when considering getting something with such feature or having it... but this is just reality of things. It is in my opinion better to know stuff that be ignorant no matter if it feels good or not. I write about this because this is a fact, not to sway anyone buying decision either way.

Any owners of this monitor yet?

I feel like this is the one to get but with a 2080 - I want to make sure a 1080p image looks OK on it

Xv273k has low framerate compensation or LFC so the VRR works ok even at sub 48 or 40fps.
When the framerate goes under 48fps, LFC kick in and the refresh goes up to compensate with same image shown two times.

Example.
If fps goes down to 40fps, monitor goes up to 80Hz and the same image is shown 2 times, so you can have a flawless vrr even at low refresh rate.

Back