Acer LED, LCD 24" Monitor, with 8,000,000:1 Contrast,Any Good? Any Reviews?

interested

Gawd
Is this monitor any good?
By "good" i mean, as a general use monitor for playing games, watching movies, doing photo work, all without any major flaws, or reliability issues.

Acer S243HL (link)

Has anyone seen any reviews on this thing?
Anyone here actually own one, and have any opinions?

Based on the tech specs on paper the following things look Good
LED back lighting
8,000,000:1 contrast (LOL wonder how they came up with that number)
Low 17w power usage
15mm thin
2ms response
2HDMI ports
Cheapest LED, LCD monitor i have come across.(under $300 USD or CAD, when on sale)

Some things that don't look good.
Only 250cd/m2 brightness (most their other models are 300+)
Only 68% NTSC Color (most their other models are 72%+)
No DVI port
Non VESA stand/mounting
Physical look of the unit is kinda strange

Last edited:
I think that contrast # is fudged, otherwise the CR is 8x better then the 11" Sony OLED.

It's definitely good for gaming, 2ms in a TN panel signifies an accelerated 5ms panel with RTC. Their specs list "16:9 Full HD", but it's 1920x1200, so hopefully marketing is just a bunch of idiots. 1200p is a good enough reason to look at it. As long as the color tracking isn't too horrid and the vertical viewing angle isn't particularly bad, I'd say give it a shot. Keep in mind that all current LED monitors use edge lighting only, because of this you can still have major uniformity and backlight bleeding issues.

It's been a looooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggg time since contrast ratio numbers meant absolutely anything.

The stand is a bit goofy but easily replaced assuming VESA compliance.

The stand is a bit goofy but easily replaced assuming VESA compliance.

Unfortunately it is not VESA compliant, since the stand contains all the plugs for the monitor :(
I just added that to the negatives list in original post.

There are some better images on newegg.

Last edited:
Their specs list "16:9 Full HD", but it's 1920x1200, so hopefully marketing is just a bunch of idiots. 1200p is a good enough reason to look at it.
It's not 1200 that's a misprint. Newegg & Amazon list it as 1920x1080 and just by looking at it you can tell that it's 16:9.
I think that contrast # is fudged, otherwise the CR is 8x better then the 11" Sony OLED.
This is dynamic, oled's is static.

Only 250cd/m2 brightness (most their other models are 300+)

Darker can be better...some of them are way too bright and can't be adjusted down enough....

8,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio. Pffft! Their marketing department have such limited imaginations. Had they claimed 100 billion to 1, then it might be interesting.

Especially if they added that a special goofy stand had to be designed to support the 'righteous' blacker than black performance that sucks all the available light out of the room.

The Acer S243HL sells for about $300. If you think you'll really get an 8,000,000:1 contrast ratio for $300, I've got a nice big bridge to sell to you.

The only reason i was looking into this monitor was because i can currently get it on sale for under $300 and its low power, LED tech.
I dont really care about the contrast claims i just mentioned the contrast because i found it a bit crazy to claim such numbers.

Would still be nice to find some reviews on this thing.

Dell G2410 - LED backlit screen sold ~ 200 - 250 most of the time

Dell G2410 - LED backlit screen sold ~ 200 - 250 most of the time

Thanks for the info.
I was not aware of how low the prices have dropped on Dells LED monitors.
Currently $279 CAD. (~265 USD at todays conversion)

All the specs on that inexpensive Dell LED monitor look pretty good too.
I like that it has a DVI input, but too bad it does not have HDMI.
Also the Dell is 5ms while the Acer is 2ms. but that shouldent matter.
Power usage is also similar for both.
Best thing is that the Dell looks normal with a simple Vesa stand, sure its a lot thicker panel but thats ok.

Going to see if i can find some reviews on the Dell.

Thanks.

It uses a TN panel, so all the limitations, viewing issues, and color accuracy (at least for professional usage) applies .

The actual contrast ratio is below 1500:1. It's amazing that these manufacturers have no shame with their BS dynamic contrast numbers.

Back