Acer Aspire One for HD Playback?

the.ronin

Limp Gawd
I've been using an Asus Eeepc 1001p Seashell with the Atom N450 processor and Intel GMA 3150 integrated graphics. It skips horribly when trying to play back HD files from a video camcorder.

These files are AVCHD video 1080p 26301kbps from a Sony HDR-CX160. Also MP4 video 1080p 12512kbps from a GoPro HD camera.

I picked up the Acer Aspire One D255 with Atom N550 processor which I had thought could handle HD playback. While it's considerably better than the 1001p, it's like a slow motion playback.

I was considering returning the D255 and getting the AMD based Aspire One AO522 which I read handles HD very well.

Or would an another GB of ram on the D255 bringing it up to 2GB do much difference?

Or should I expect the AO522's HD playback not to be much better than the D255's?

Any advice appreciated.

Last edited:
my acer aspire one had a n270 and 2gb of ram from a couple years ago and could play 720p totally smooth and 1080p with a stutter here and there. only if the content was on the hard drive, couldn't steam HD from youtube 720p. although I could download a youtube 720p and that would play. I would use VLC.

likely two things causing slowdown:

slow HDD speeds (not a bottleneck, but it surely isn't helping anything)
CPU barely cutting it

I don't believe adding more RAM will solve this problem.

The AO522, on the other hand, has an AMD Raderon HD6250 with UVD2.2 (idk if it has UVD3 - which is even better!!), which is capable of fully decoding 40mbps - without any CPU help - AVCHD (H264) and VC-1 (At least a few extreme variants of WMV use this). MP4 is a container format, frequently for H264, so it should be able to handle that with ease, too :)

I exchanged the D255 for an AO522 … huge difference. The lower quality GoPro camera MP4s at 1080 (13mbps) played flawlessly. The 26mbps AVCHD files from the Sony HD camcorder presented more of an issue with a few dropped frames here and there – nothing compared to the D255 though. And this is with stock components.

Brings me to my next question – would 4GB on this thing be overkill?

I picked up a Crucial 2GB stick but just came across some reports that 4GB would also work (of course assuming something better than Windows 7 Starter). I could exchange it for a 4GB stick since I haven’t even opened the package.

I’m also planning on swapping out the stock drive with a Momentus XT 500GB hybrid which, although nowhere close to an SSD, did show material improvements in my Asus Eeepc 1001p Seashell.

I just don’t want to change anything until I decide on 2GB vs 4GB since it’s a little involved opening these AO522’s up.

Again, my primary purpose here is HD playback and if 4GB would help over 2GB, I would totally go for that. Thanks again.

I exchanged the D255 for an AO522 … huge difference. The lower quality GoPro camera MP4s at 1080 (13mbps) played flawlessly. The 26mbps AVCHD files from the Sony HD camcorder presented more of an issue with a few dropped frames here and there – nothing compared to the D255 though. And this is with stock components.

Brings me to my next question – would 4GB on this thing be overkill?

I picked up a Crucial 2GB stick but just came across some reports that 4GB would also work (of course assuming something better than Windows 7 Starter). I could exchange it for a 4GB stick since I haven’t even opened the package.

I’m also planning on swapping out the stock drive with a Momentus XT 500GB hybrid which, although nowhere close to an SSD, did show material improvements in my Asus Eeepc 1001p Seashell.

I just don’t want to change anything until I decide on 2GB vs 4GB since it’s a little involved opening these AO522’s up.

Again, my primary purpose here is HD playback and if 4GB would help over 2GB, I would totally go for that. Thanks again.

perhaps a netbook with the e-350 AMD APU would be better suited for you? I currently have the Dm1z from HP and plays HD content without a hiccup. granted they are only 8mbps compared to the 26mbps files you running. though should be a little better compared to the AO522

Back