Acer Aspire 5672

I'm looking for opinions on the Aspire 5672
specs are
Microsoft® Windows® XP PHome; Intel® Core™ Duo Processor T2300 (2MB L2 cache, 1.66GHz, 667MHz FSB); 2GB (512/512) DDR2 533 SDRAM; 120GB SATA hard drive, 5400RPM; integrated Super-Multi drive (DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD-RAM); 5-in-1 card reader; 15.4" WXGA (1280 x 800) TFT display, Acer® CrystalBrite Technology ; ATI® MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1400 graphics, 128MB DDR; 802.11a/b/g WLAN, Bluetooth™, gigabit LAN, V.92 modem

Has anybody had any personal experience with them? I'll be using this for some gaming, will the X1400 handle BF2 at a decent video quality, keep in mind if I want all the goodies I'll play on my desktop. I'll also be using it for other general things, internet, movies, etc...
I'll also be picking up a second battery.

the price I can get it for is 1200.00. I've heard some mixed things about Acers build quality. I'm just looking for experiences with mid ranger acer products from people who have owned them.

It's a nice laptop for the price. It isn't a gaming machine by any stretch of the imagination. It gets VERY hot under general use, and furnace type hot under load. Acer support is SUPER BAD (this i can attest to personally). The T2300 is pretty weak (nothing out to overclock it yet, waiting on Clockgen to update) but T2500's are around $235-300 on forums and i'm very glad i upgraded mine. Doesn't come with backup CD's and has a FAT32 parition on it, so once you can overcome the bloated install (with your own Pro install) you should be pretty pleased with it. Performance i'm happy with, Acer i am not. If you have any questions on it let me know, be glad to help ya out ;)

I havn't bought it yet Ryokurin but that acer model is the standard one, the one I'm looking at has 2GB ram not 1GB and a 120GB hard drive as opposed to a 100GB drive, that's why the added $300. thanks for the link for laptop graphics it has helped a ton.

Sucka thanks for the input. I was already planning on a fresh install of XP pro, and as I understood it when you first boot up the thing it asks if you want to burn a backup onto DVD, I guess it's 5 DVD's though. Is there a good place I can find drivers, I guess I should just check the acer site. I was planning on seeing how this one would handle games before upgrading the cpu. This thing is going to be more of a casual gamer, net machine, not a desktop replacement by any means. Thanks for the heat info though, I guess I'll invest in a lap cooling system of some kind then. I was planning on using it with a lap desk most of the time anyways. I do know my way around computers, newer to laptops though, so as long as it makes it through the warrenty period ok, I'm not too worried. If it doesn't well then lesson learned and hopefully I can atleast deal with Acer tech.

thanks again for the input. Maybe I'll look into something else but so far this is on the top. that is unless my bonus is a bigger than I expect it to be.

bigbadgreen said:
Sucka thanks for the input. I was already planning on a fresh install of XP pro, and as I understood it when you first boot up the thing it asks if you want to burn a backup onto DVD, I guess it's 5 DVD's though. Is there a good place I can find drivers, I guess I should just check the acer site. I was planning on seeing how this one would handle games before upgrading the cpu. This thing is going to be more of a casual gamer, net machine, not a desktop replacement by any means. Thanks for the heat info though, I guess I'll invest in a lap cooling system of some kind then. I was planning on using it with a lap desk most of the time anyways. I do know my way around computers, newer to laptops though, so as long as it makes it through the warrenty period ok, I'm not too worried. If it doesn't well then lesson learned and hopefully I can atleast deal with Acer tech.

thanks again for the input. Maybe I'll look into something else but so far this is on the top. that is unless my bonus is a bigger than I expect it to be.

No problem. Like anything, it has its drawbacks, but overall it's a nice laptop. For "casual gaming" it will do the job. But i'm glad you understand this isn't a DTR type notebook. It's very portable despite being a 15.4"er. I would have to say heat is my overall biggest gripe. I can't stress it enough. The heat that comes from the heatsink is also coming out on the right side, so if you use a mouse like me, your hand will get hot as well. Want to use it on your lap? Forget about it....lol. It will litterly make you uncomfortable, and i think i have a pretty high threshold. The trackpad also gets insanly hot to touch. This is just something i really need to emphasize. Don't get me wrong, the laptop is bitchin, but it isn't perfect. I can't really think of anything else out there right now with this price/performance, but definetly takes these things into consideration before your purchase. Take a stroll on over to notebookforums.com and you can read up some more on this model. Census is their support sucks, and this thing is HOT. Otherwise i think it gets pretty good reviews. Good luck!

Edit: to give you an idea, these things idle at ~50-53C under normal circumstances, and with air ventilation on the bottom (ie: not in your lap) and under load they are well into the upper 60's. And on top of that, the heatpipe also cools the GPU and NB. So between the 3, there is some serious heat being produced. All cool by this (ignore the circles, it's a pic relating to something else ;))

heatpipe.jpg

temps.jpg

Yup, 96F by a probe reading under the laptop is just a tad uncomfortable :eek:

Back