Accidently wiped my external drive...can I get the info back..

forcemac101

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, in my haste of reinstalling XP for the 2nd time today, I forgot I had the firewire drive still plugged in, and in the windows setup I had realized what I had down, just after having deleted the partition...since it wasn't the drive i was installing to, i left it alone.

Is there a way to recontruct the partition, so I can recover my lost data? I kinda need it, as it has all my drivers and stuff for the system.

Yes, it's possible but not with the standard off the shelf software. Deleting the partition is pretty bad.

There are some forensic utilities like ByteBack Data Recovery which can grab a deleted partition. There's a demo version available I think. Google for it and see if it doesn't help you.

you have several options.
there's:
GetDataBack
Active File Recovery
Ontrack's Easy recovery professional
winternals
None are free except for a trial period or limited capability's.
Easy recovery pro, being the best in my book, but it's price tag of $499 isn't cool..
winternals software recovery stuff, getdataback and active file recovery are still fairly decently priced under $100 if I remember correctly.
I found they all work pretty much the same, some gui's work/look better than others, but ERP works the best to me..
although I don't condone it..i'm sure if you are resourceful you can find some free software to help you out.
GL

all i need to do is rebuild the partition table correct?

Can GetDataBack do it? Its running right now, and it seems to be "seeing" the files....but I can't do anything until its done.

well get data back is working, execept now, I have to copy all the data to my other drive. Problem is that the raptor is the only drive!....(external was a practically full 120gb)

Well, I guess I better bust out the DVD burner....thanks...

WOW ice thanks for that link, no i dont have a data recovery problem but i think im gonna get that program.

I have the previous version of Diskpatch, it was called Reproman
those boys used to work for Powerquest (Partition Magic team I think) its a very handy tool ;) And supports hardware RAID 0 & 5

Repair Features:
Rebuild MBR bootcode from scratch - write standard MBR bootcode while leaving partitions intact
Recover/rebuild partition table from scratch - FAT, FAT32 and NTFS support, also recreates Dynamic type partition if LDM database is detected
Recover/rebuild boot sectors from scratch - FAT, FAT32 and NTFS boot sector recovery
Verify the disk surface of the entire disk or selected partitions
Reclaim bad sectors by having DiskPatch write a pattern to the entire disk or selected partitions
Edit/recreate partition tables manually
Clone a (physically) bad disk to a good disk
Supports large IDE and SCSI hard disks (8 Gb >)
Create a backup of key disk structures, called an FSimage, for FAT or FAT32 partitions. The image includes the boot sector, FATs and the root directory.
View any sector on a disk
Image (save to file) and restore any sector on a disk
Supports hardware RAID 0 and 5 (NOT software based RAID!)
Mount FAT and FAT32 volumes even when the partition is deleted or the boot sector is corrupt
there are freeware aps that will do almost all of those
but they arent as user freindly and really require you know your stuff (while others are common windows recovery steps)

regarding File Scavenger it seems to be able to recover (by direct scan) more than other similar aps, (Ive also got Rerstorer 2000 and trialed several more)

Back