Accidently ran cpu without aio pump plugged in

vividshock

Weaksauce
So I migrated my H90 to my fx 8320e from my hd 7950 and I accidentally forgot to plug in the pump. I started computer 4-5 times and all auto shutdown. The last time it did I read the temperature reading @ 90c. What kind of damage would've been done to my processor @ this temp if any at all?

So I migrated my H90 to my fx 8320e from my hd 7950 and I accidentally forgot to plug in the pump. I started computer 4-5 times and all auto shutdown. The last time it did I read the temperature reading @ 90c. What kind of damage would've been done to my processor @ this temp if any at all?
It's been many years since AMD hasn't had thermal throttling and protection. like nearly 10!. You're fine no harm most likely. Don't do it again though ;)

I think 90C is the max for these processors.No harm was probably done.

Had a Corsair H100 go bad on me. Computer shutdown. I tried to start it multiple times before I realized that it was registering 0 rpm in the bios. Still running the processor today.

As long as *something* was attached to the CPU even if not running, I don't think you have anything to worry about. When something is attached, it overheats slowly and shuts down in plenty of time. With nothing attached, the heat can build up extremely quickly, as there is little mass in the actual cpu and lid.

As long as *something* was attached to the CPU even if not running, I don't think you have anything to worry about. When something is attached, it overheats slowly and shuts down in plenty of time. With nothing attached, the heat can build up extremely quickly, as there is little mass in the actual cpu and lid.

It'll still shut down even if nothing is attached. I've done once to a Q6600.. well actually three times before I realized that I didn't have the heatsink attached. Then later on with a Phenom II 945. They simply just wouldn't boot. Attached the heatsinks and haven't had problem with either one. Both are still running in my kids' computer years later.

It'll still shut down even if nothing is attached. I've done once to a Q6600.. well actually three times before I realized that I didn't have the heatsink attached. Then later on with a Phenom II 945. They simply just wouldn't boot. Attached the heatsinks and haven't had problem with either one. Both are still running in my kids' computer years later.

With something attached, it's basically 0% chance of damage. With nothing attached, I suspect a small percentage might not react fast enough, that's all. Theoretically yes nothing should be damaged either way ...

My dad did that to me when I was building my first T-Bird computer. I had the motherboard in and everything hooked up, I just needed to go get the heat sink and install it. Next thing I know my Dad decided to fire up the computer and check out the settings in the bios, I came screaming back in to shut it off, yanked the plug out of the wall, cpu got so hot in a few seconds it would literally fry your skin. Luckily the chip was not damaged but boy was he surprised how hot that chip got in a few seconds. Now days no need to panic it will just shut off.

Should be perfectly OK. If you fired it up without a heat sink... then you may be in trouble

As everyone said, nothing. We are using to panicking at temperatures over 60c but if it makes you feel better I have ultra slim systems designed for a customer that do math all day every day 24/7. They don't bother to cool the room with these systems and they operate at close to 90C, and have been fine for three years now. Ivy Bridge CPUs btw.

Will it reduce the lifespan of your CPU? Probably. I doubt you'll care much 15 years from now though xD

My buddy has been using a 920 D0 since they released as his daily driver. It's OCd to 4.2 and operates above 70. He's replaced the board one time, but we are finally at the point where there are faster, cheaper options. My point is 8 years with an overclocked CPU is plenty of life (and it's still going strong).

RAM, however (in all its forms) does die from heat. So keep your DDR and SSDs at their operating temps.

Peace!

Doubtful any damage was done. As others have said, the fact that the cooler was physically attached to it helped create a passive heat sink, so the heat didn't rise so fast that it couldn't shut down in time to prevent damage. Also, any residual heat after shutdown was also dissipated through the accidental passive heatsink.

Had there been nothing attached to the CPU, damage would be more likely, but only because the heat had nowhere to go, and every time you tried to turn it on, you would be adding to that undissipated heat stuck in the heat spreader.

Back