Access 2007 problems

jeffmoss26

2[H]4U
I don't normally post in this section, but I'm hoping for some help.
Several users here are having an issue in Access 2007. Apparently it is a known bug, where printer settings do not stay saved. I found a hotfix (KB950488) from MS, but it does not want to install.
I've got SP1 and SP2 installed for Office 2007 installed already. When I try to install the hotfix, I get 'the expected version of the product was not found on the system'

I'm gonna give this a spin in one of my VMs and see if I can get it to work. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

This topic would be better in the "Networking and Security" forum. You generally get more sysadmins there.

The reason the hotfix won't install is because it was released before SP2.

SP2 would already have that fix included.

When the hotfix checks for the version, it is seeing that the version of Office is newer than what is valid for the hotfix to work on.

My bet is on the printer driver or on a Windows update that hasn't been aplied yet. The printer driver being the main suspect.

What OS is the print server running? What are the "default settings" in the printer drivers on the server? Do the users have the ability to change printer settings on their machines or does it automatically revert back to the "default settings" tht the driver is set to on the server every time they try to print?

I just tried this in my VM with Office 2007, SP 1 and SP2, and the hotfix installed successfully.
Just for fun, I removed Access and reinstalled it on my PC. I then installed the hotfix successfully.
One thing that may be an issue is that the end user's PCs are 64 bit, my PC and VM are 32 bit.

The print server is Windows Server 2003. I will take a look at the print settings on the server.

Last edited:
I was looking for an office guru...it's not a network problem.
Your question is geared toward sysadmins, hence my qualified recommendation to move this thread to where sysadmins tend to hang out.

I just tried this in my VM with Office 2007, SP 1 and SP2, and the hotfix installed successfully.
Just for fun, I removed Access and reinstalled it on my PC. I then installed the hotfix successfully.
One thing that may be an issue is that the end user's PCs are 64 bit, my PC and VM are 32 bit.

The print server is Windows Server 2003. I will take a look at the print settings on the server.
I'm glad you're making progress on your system issue, and am interested in reading your findings when a resolution is reached.

Are you installing the 64-bit version of Office on the end user's machine? That could also explain why the hotfix isn't installing.

I find it strange that the hotfix would even install after SP2 is on there. Usually almost all previous hotfixes are supersceded when a SP is released.

I just have one version of Office 2007 that I install on my end user PCs, both 32 and 64 bit.

Here is some more information-
Basically this is a database for parts we manufacture. There is a print button on the form, and ideally they want every form to print in landscape and with 2 pages per sheet. The only way to make this work right now is to go into the printer properties, click portrait, 2 pages per side, and print selected record.

Here is some more information-
Basically this is a database for parts we manufacture. There is a print button on the form, and ideally they want every form to print in landscape and with 2 pages per sheet. The only way to make this work right now is to go into the printer properties, click portrait, 2 pages per side, and print selected record.

This is because of the default printer settings on the print server. Like the other user said, you should be able to force it with VBA.

Back