Abu Dhabi Buys Stake in AMD

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to Reuters, Abu Dhabi's Mubadala Development claims to have purchased over eight percent of AMD. A spokesman for AMD declined to comment on the deal.

"We have already bought the stake as of today," Mubdala's chief operating officer, Waleed al-Mokarrab al-Muhairi, told Reuters in a text message. He did not say how much Mubadala, owned by the government of the world's sixth-largest oil exporter, had paid for the stake.

The people and government of UAE are a bunch of geniuses. They don't get themselves caught up in all the holy wars going on over there. They found oil and the know that it won't last forever, so instead of wasting it all, they took their newfound wealth and made their city one of the most beautiful city in the world, and made a tourist industry and welcomed investors and businesses while they could afford it.

Once oil becomes depleted, the people of UAE will be more than self-sufficient and continue to be wealthy and content.

Why can't the other Arab countries see this?

This AMD purchases is yet another step towards economizing their country. Go UAE!

the uae still has problems though. my roomate is from dubai, apparently only like 8% of the workforce is native. think how we are with mexicans in the southern states, but about 10x that and everywhere in the country. this also helps causes the second problem, an extremely large rich/poor divide and little middle class

AMD just got itself a nice customer. Maybe this will help them recover. :)

(If Abu Dhabi holds such a large share of AMD's stock, do you really expect them to furnish their government offices with Intel-powered computers?)

Yes they truly know what they want.
Concerning other "arab" countries such as my homeland Lebanon (I don't consider myself to be arab), we have been in a civil war since 1975 (although today the war takes other forms). The country faces severe economical and political crisis. Unemployment, low wages (the minimum wage here is about $200/month), lack of security..etc are what we suffer from here. The politicians are all racing for power and who wants to eliminate the other. We are about 4 million in population divided amongst 18 religions in almost 10000 km2 and the way I see how people here still think , we will need another 20 years if not more to reach to half what is Dubai today. :mad:
I might have gotten off topic but just wanted to show what Lebanon is nowadays. I just come to think how awesome our country was in the early seventies. My parents tell me that Lebanon was truly the pearl of the east.

Oh well...

Concerning other "arab" countries such as my homeland Lebanon (I don't consider myself to be arab), we have been in a civil war since 1975 (although today the war takes other forms). The country faces severe economical and political crisis. Unemployment, low wages (the minimum wage here is about $200/month), lack of security..etc are what we suffer from here. The politicians are all racing for power and who wants to eliminate the other. We are about 4 million in population divided amongst 18 religions in almost 10000 km2 and the way I see how people here still think , we will need another 20 years if not more to reach to half what is Dubai today. :mad:
I might have gotten off topic but just wanted to show what Lebanon is nowadays. I just come to think how awesome our country was in the early seventies. My parents tell me that Lebanon was truly the pearl of the east.

Oh well...

The people and government of UAE are a bunch of geniuses. They don't get themselves caught up in all the holy wars going on over there. They found oil and the know that it won't last forever, so instead of wasting it all, they took their newfound wealth and made their city one of the most beautiful city in the world, and made a tourist industry and welcomed investors and businesses while they could afford it.

Once oil becomes depleted, the people of UAE will be more than self-sufficient and continue to be wealthy and content.

This AMD purchases is yet another step towards economizing their country. Go UAE!

Yah man, you're totally right. They are also investing in renewable energies to make sure they have the next hot thing.

Oh well...

I was reading exactly this on CNN.com's commentary section by an ex-citizen of Beirut who's now in the employ of CNN this afternoon while eatting lunch.

Lebanon almost had it. Or rather, they did have it for 10 years. They finally understood peace and prosperity and harmony. Then Hezbola and Israel decided their little war against each other was a little more important than the lives of content citizens.. it makes me so mad.

Here's that article I read today: http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/11/11/lebanon.nasr/index.html

Too bad my HD3870 already shipped.

I would hate to provide financing to the worldwide movement to treat women worse than camels.

On the other hand maybe the profit from the card i bought could be used to hire a grinder to sharpen the butter knives they use to behead journalists over there.

I'm just glad someone is investing in AMD. I mean, I don't want to see them go out of business.

I remember the "old days" when I used to overclock my 300MHz Celery to 450MHz (on an Abit BH-6 - Kyle remembers that board) because I couldn't afford most Intel processors and the AMD processors had floating point that suxored... Six months after the Athlon was released I thought I might never buy another Intel CPU!

My how times have changed. :eek:

I was reading exactly this on CNN.com's commentary section by an ex-citizen of Beirut who's now in the employ of CNN this afternoon while eatting lunch.

Lebanon almost had it. Or rather, they did have it for 10 years. They finally understood peace and prosperity and harmony. Then Hezbola and Israel decided their little war against each other was a little more important than the lives of content citizens.. it makes me so mad.

Here's that article I read today: http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/11/11/lebanon.nasr/index.html

That article pretty summed it up :). Well just as a quick fact there are over 40,000 Lebanese citizens in Dubai.

Does Mubadala Development know something about AMD that the others don't? Why would they invest such a pile of money in a company that - at the moment at least - has problems bringing out competitive products? I'm not a business expert so I don't understand all the manoeurves they perform. I hope AMD has something very powerful technology in their sleeves.

Does Mubadala Development know something about AMD that the others don't? Why would they invest such a pile of money in a company that - at the moment at least - has problems bringing out competitive products? I'm not a business expert so I don't understand all the manoeurves they perform. I hope AMD has something very powerful technology in their sleeves.

There's nothing wrong with AMD technology. They're doing just fine. It's only if you compare Intel and AMD side by side you'll notice AMD lagging. There's more to AMD than just processors and video cards and home users.

Back