About the Free Magazines.....

PawNtheSandman

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm sitting at work and I get a call on my cell phone...

Some company asks me to confirm that I own a "Visa, Master Card or American Express Card". Well of course I do, who doesn't.

"Well that's how we got your name, you have been selected as a "dream come true" contest winner. Your name is in the drawing for $100,000 which will take place May 2005. You also won a mens or womens diamond watch and free 48month subscriptions to Maxim, Stuff and your choice of the following. "Time, People, Rolling Stone, Maximum Gamer, PC Magazine etc..."

So I choose PC Magazine.

"Today there is a special on PC Magazine which allows you to pick another magazine at no cost"

So I choose Rolling Stone.

"Well sir because of this great offer we just need you to pay $3.95 per issue of PC Magazine which is 33% off the cover price and you will recieve all 5 magazines and the watch for free"

Now great, Although 5 magazines for the price of 1 is a good deal, I can tell this is bullshit and I hear like 20 other operators in the backround.

"Well if I have to pay I guess I don't need any of the magazines then"

"Sir you will also not recieve the diamond watch"

"oh well"

"Ok well you are still entered to win the $100,000"

"Ok bye"

I knew it was bullshit because I never gave out this particular phone number to my credit card company. Anyone else get called yet? If you do, have fun with them.

lol u kidding me, people get bullshit calls like that all the time

i once had some jamacan sounding guy call my house saying that i won a grant from the US government between 8000 and 35000. (lol he even asked me to pick the amount i want)
he told me my name, address, telephone number (obviously) and asked if i have a bank account... (thats when i was like awesome this is going to be fun)
so i was like yup of course ... and then he asked me for it because they need to transfer the money onto it. (sounds awesome:))
so then i was like why dont u send me a check... then he continued explaining to me how they can only trasfer to an account... at which point i had enough of the fun and decided to wish him all the best... :D

so yeah free mags is not the best u can get for free haahahahahaaha

Last year, my roommate got the same call as the thread starter. He strung the person along a bit, mainly because I think he wanted to enter the sweepstakes and get the watch. The line got disconnected at some point in the call.

A couple days later, they called me.

It turns out, Penn State sells the dorm phone numbers to telemarketers. :mad:

I change the number to my house or dorm by one number.

At home I have no idea who they'd call. Here at school, they'd be calling my next door neighbor. :D

I think my college also sells all the phone numbers because I get a call from a telemarketer every other day. The telemarketer always has some type of heavy accent, and I can normally not make out a single word of what they say. I just say "No I don't want a credit card. Have a good day."

HAHA,
everything i ever sign up for gets the good ol' number of 605-555-1234
works everytime and i never get bothered!

I used 867-5309 before and The First name was Tommy, last name was Tutone. :D

Several years ago, a coupon book was put out in my area that advertised a particular bagel shop, complete with phone number and all. The only problem with this is that their phone number was one digit away from mine...and they put my number in the book instead of their own. I must have recieved over 100 calls from that mistake, "Hello?" "Is this Best Bagels?"

*shakes head*

At least they gave me a free box of bagels once I informed them of this. Though I do enjoy a little payback every once in a while. Whenever there's a freebie that I sign up for, I always use their phone number.

Like above, about 2 years ago a pizza shop opened up whos phone number is 759-****, now my phone number is 754-****, so I get calls all the time asking if this is Pizza-Moni. If I get more than 1 in a day, I usually start taking orders. The worst part is when they inturrupt my dinner, or a decent TV show.

Scott28 said:
Like above, about 2 years ago a pizza shop opened up whos phone number is 759-****, now my phone number is 754-****, so I get calls all the time asking if this is Pizza-Moni. If I get more than 1 in a day, I usually start taking orders. The worst part is when they inturrupt my dinner, or a decent TV show.

You should pretend that you don't speak which ever language the customer is calling (usually english, of course). If you don't know another language, just speak in tongues :)

Ok, with those that ask for your bank account or credit card number - those are frauds. They want those numbers so that they can get money out of your accounts. Never give out that info. You'd be surprised how many people give that stuff out.
Anyway, put yourself on the Fed. no call list. Then report the bastards when they call back.

HvyMtl said:
Anyway, put yourself on the Fed. no call list. Then report the bastards when they call back.
UF sells dorm numbers too, but I put it on the list and no more calls :D

Seriously, who calls COLLEGE STUDENTS at 9:00 saturday morning?

funny, my roomate got that *exact* same call the other day....
... hmmmm, i guess i'm kinda happy i didn't get a campus phone account....

-- he was stupid enough to give his credit card # away though.... *slaps forehead*... he eventually cancelled the offers or whatever, but still seems a bit risky.... they mentioned the cost and that stuff AFTER he gave them the credit card info...

Hey antonanton, I see you almost got scammed by the call from jamaica. I heard about that one because it was on the news. I was told to stay away from that one, if they say they want to use your checking account or savings account to transfer money into, just hang up.

Here is the scam as follows, they will ask a few questions about you credit cards, get your name and mailing address. They will also ask if you have a checking or savings account, if you say yes, then the next step they try to talk you out of giving them your savings account number. Because they want to transfer money into, in reality they want you to write them a check. Once they get your check or give our your credit card#, it has all the info already on the check and they try to take every dime you have in your savings or checking account.

Just beware this scam if you come across it, Reports of this scam have different varations to it, so you know.

Back