About Barton multipliers

Juka

Weaksauce
A friend of mine has a Barton 2500+, his CPU is unlocked so he can freely play with multipliers, his mbo is NF7S. Another friend has a Barton 2600+, mbo is NF7SL but his cpu is locked and he cant change the multipliers! Is that with all new Bartons, or just 2600+, and up?

btw. i clocked my xp1533mhz to 2000MHz (edit: lol, i also write stupid thing =]]) with my old KR7A (KT266A chipset) mobo, talk about crazy OC-s =]

most bartons that are made after week 40 are multiplier locked....actually they are superlocked as there doesnt seem to be a way to unlock them.

I guess AMD became a little more business savy and a little less enthusiast oriented.

I guess AMD became a little more business savy and a little less enthusiast oriented.

Can't tell you how disapointed I am with their decision. I always stuck with AMD for the fact of their tweakability, not saying that P4's aren't.. But with the field evened up I won't hesitate to try the other side of the field with a P4 system. Build a good 4 or 5 systems and only one of them was a P4 and iit's been running better than any of the others so far. It isn't really an equal comparison seeing as how the fastest AMD system I built was a 2500+ and the P4 was 2.8ghz but I'm still anxious to build myself a P4 based system sometime. -Amd's actions have just given me another reason to tryout an Intel.

I've got a Barton 2600+ that is unlocked on my A7N8X-Deluxe. I also recently read an article somewhere that explains that these new CPU's can be unlocked. You have to close a bridge that allows them to be recognised as "Mobility" Athlons. It doesn't kill performance at all, but it does allow the multiplier to be changed freely, as "Mobility" chips aren't locked.

If I find the link, I'll post it.

The original link I was referring to is located here. Of course it is in russian, but take a translator and you'll do fine.

Thanks for the heads up on the English version though weapon.

Back