Abit IP35-e sata hd

jime

Limp Gawd
I just set-up an Abit IP35-e with two SATA HD's, a WD320 and a WD250. When I run the utility disk Data Lifeguard Tools from Western Digital,it shows my drive C:(320)under the IDE controller and drive D:(250)under the mass storage controller. Shouldn't they both be listed under the mass controller ?
The 320 is plugged into sata controller 1 and the 250 is plugged into SATA controller 2.
In the Bios it shows both drives listed correctly under the SATA 1 and 2 controllers.
Both drives run fine but I'm curious as to whether it's actually running at IDE speeds and not at the 3g SATA II speed. I don't want to disable the IDE controller due to the fact my DVD is IDE. That will soon be a SATA DVD.

Another oddity that I've never encountered before was that after installing WinXP Pro it showed my 320 as Drive E: with the other drive as C: and my DVD as D:. ????
Was able to correct after screwing-up the registry and then re-installing Windows. I tried a re-install before the registry thing but it still showed it as E: ????

Appreciate any enlightenment on this.

jim

You might have one of your drives set to IDE mode in the BIOS. Take a look at your settings and make sure that your SATA drives are not set to IDE mode.

There is nothing in the BIOS to change it to IDE mode. It shows it listed under SATA 1 controller and I disabled the IDE controller but it still shows the same thing. Also,in Data Lifeguard Tools it shows the drive under IDE controller and there's a red C: over the drive. ????

Back