A8N32 sli deluxe extra fan question

spawn447

Gawd
i see it says only to use it if cpu is cooled passively.

anyone using it with a regular setup ?

I was wondering the same thing. Although I am actively cooling ym CPU, I have the XP-90 with the over hang over the memory so no air flow from the cpu fan flows over the chipset heatsink. My mobo temps are higher than I'd like and I suspect this is the reason. I've been thinking of getting this optional fan and installing it anyway to see if it helps with my temps.

I assume you're talking about the fan that's included for the fins that cool the heatpipe from the northbridge? If so, ASUS included them for people that are not air cooling their CPU (such as watercooling). Those fins were originally designed (from the original A8N-SLI Premium) to be cooled from air generated from the fan/heatsink combination from the CPU. If you watercool your setup, then there's not the airflow and there's a risk of overheating the northbridge.

If that's not the fan you're talking about then disregard previous... ;)

Having your XP-90 overhang the chipset-VRM heatsink is more beneficial, in my opinion.

The only reason I didn't mount it that way is due the the issues with the 1GB sticks of Ballistix. I already had to RMA a pair and wanted to minimize the risk of this set going bad before I can raise the funds for a new pair of another brand.

I did mount the optional fan since my last post and so far I see no differencein CPU temp. So, since my HSF is oriented the way it is, so far this optional fan doesn't seem to cause any issues.

I installed it over the copper heatsink and left it on for about 6 weeks...recently while troubleshooting my PC I went to remove the fan and I saw that the plastic at the bottom of the fan was melted...anyone else experience this?...guess the heat was too intense...but my CPU temps are always in the low to mid 30's...I called up ASUS tech support and they are sending me another fan free of charge but seeing that melted plastic worried me a bit....

CPU temps seemed the same with or without the extra fan---in the low to mid 30's

that's where it's supposed to go, isn't it?...over the heatpipe/copper heatsink...

Back