A64 OC Data

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but I thought clawhammers were better than newcastles. He only guaranteed 2.2 too which is the same as the clawhammer. Plus, it would be about $40 more and I would have to go through the hastle of buying a fan. The 2800 comes with a fan off of a 3700. Would you try one of those Semprons that supposedly overclock like crazy. I would like to order tommorow, but I could a wait a bit more if there are going to be some nice price drops.

id go for one of the semprons that overclock liek crazy. they seem too do real good, and matched up with a nice nforce 3 250gb board, it will shine.

I was originally considering that, but it seems crazy to pay $6 more for a Sempron 2600 thatn an A64 2800. Is 2.2 a BAD overclock. Figure, the sempron 2600 does 2.5, will that beat the A64. It has 1/4 the cache and only 32bits.

2.2 for a 2800+ isnt bad, it just isnt jaw dropping its only a 22% oc, where as most 2800+s are getting upwards of 35 to 40%+ overclocks. going with the 2600+ might be a good idea. if you can overclock it that high, then that would be great, but its not guarenteed to hit that high

Do you think a Sempron can do 315x9 with stock cooling and my Chaintec. The one at XBIT did.

it probably can do 300*8, so youll probably get 2.4 atleast. these new revisions seem to be good. id pick it up, and stock cooling should suffice, cause thy are 90 nm and will run cooler.

If I got one, I would probably run at 315x8 with a 2x htt multiplier and 133 ram divider. I should be able to do that if I use AS5 on the cpu and northbridge. Would that beat an A64 @240x9.

yea it would easily beat an a64 at 240*9. id run the htt at 3x cause it will get you closer to 2000mhz htt, and thats what all the nforce 3 250gb boards do. 1/4 the cache will only give you liek a 10 percent decrease in preformance clock to clock, ATMOST. and the 32 bits thing is just for windows 64. and that doesnt look like itll be out anytime soon

Hmm, I might have to get the Sempron. What if I get a dud though which doesn't overclock. They can't ALL be able to hit 2.7. And, I thought Nforce boards can only do 800/1600.

im not too sure about the new nforces. most find a hapy place between 700 and 1000mhz. anywhere in there should be fine. make sure you lower that multi though! i booted into windows at 250*5 for my hyper transport. i got random reboots. scared the piss outta me!

Ok, I think I have decided. I am going to get a used Chaintec Nforce 3 motherboard for $50 shipped. Then, I am going to get a used A64 with some cheap $15 fan, but probably better than stock for $105 shipped off of thes forums. I am going to apply thermal compound properly in a blob and burn in the cpu using "cpu-burn in". Then, I will try to run at 250fsbx10 with a 166 memory multiplier and 3xhtt multipler. I'll probably have to use around 1.65 volts to be completely stable. At the end, my memory will be oc'ed 4%, cheap Dell pc3200, and my cpu will be 2.5ghz. All for $155 shipped. Does this sound good? Thanks for all the help.

Ok, thanks for all the help, but I just read about this burning in thing today. It is a program called "cpu burn-in" I think. Can somebody give me some more info on this? Also, how well will my system perform? What cpu will it be equivelant to? I am hoping for it to last me at least 2 years with maybe some minor ram upgrades:

A64 3000 @ 250x10
Chaintec Nf3
2x256 pc3200 @ 208 2.5x3x3x6
9800 pro @ 9800xt speeds.

burn in just heats up your cpu. people have had various experiences with it, but taking what i know about transistors and voltage, burn-in is worthless. save it for your ram

also, since this is the oc'ing thread, lapping your heatspreader may be a good idea if you're going for 100% lowest temps without risking taking off the heatspreader (i would advise against this, having done it myself)

forgive the terrible before picture. this was taken a while ago, before i knew how to use my camera ;)
here, as many of you with an a64 know, the heatspreader is fairly rough. decently flat, but rough
before.JPG

so, i decided to play around to see how flat it really was. took me a while to sand down the edges enough to begin sanding the middle.. i'm not sure if all heatspreaders are like this, but mine's edges were raised a noteable amount :(
lap.JPG

and then, tada, all done. tried to clean it up the best i could with 2000grit, though a few scratches wouldn't go away. so i gave up, figuring that since the heatspreader isn't actually on my cpu anymore, it doesn't matter ;)
it's quite a notable difference between the two though, too bad i can't test the temps with it anymore
after-1.JPG

after-2.JPG

Ok, last minute change of plans before I buy. I just found an A64 3200 with an FX55 cooler for $105 shipped. The seller said he got it off of a friend who said it didn't overclock too good (max bus aroun 220). He had a Via board though, without a pci lock. It should work nicely with my Chaintec Nforce 3 I got for $50 shipped. Even if it doesn't overclock too good, it is still pretty fast stock. What do you guys think; any tips?

MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI
AMD Athlon64 3000+ Winchester Socket 939 ('bout 2 months old from purchase but I do not know its week or batch ATM..)
268 HTT * 9x CPU Multi=2412 MHz
Stock 1.4V.
Corsair Value Select 512MB*2 in Dual Channel, 166 divider.
Idle: 32-35'C. Load: (after 1 hour Prime95) 40'C.
Stable at all games, benches, etc. Absolutely amazed with the performance increase; even at stock voltages my UT2004 FPS in high-stress situations went up by 20-50!!

I got as high as 2520 (280 HTT) MHz stable on stock 1.4V but when I tried to hit 2610 MHz (290 HTT), BSOD after password entry screen in Windows. Not sure if it's the memory, voltage, or something else. Temperatures don't go that high as my case is commodious but my actual content is cramped, so idle temperatures are higher than I'd like.

Reverted from a Zalman CNPS-7000B AlCu to the stock cooler with AS5 for these temperatures, as well. Interested in getting the Zalman back up in full.

I'm pretty impressed but at the same time awfully frightened because it's hanging on a Rosewill RP550. It's been a stable and nice PSU to power my whole system thus far but this message board has given me bad vibes (the only things incurring my fear) on Rosewill PSUs so I'm deathly afraid of it blowing up. Buying a new PSU ASAP. I'm pretty impressed with everything I've gotten though and I'm not that sure if my fear on the PSU is that justified as all the lines have been stable and it's a heavier PSU than the Antec True I've handled (I've read that light PSUs should be avoided).

Winchester 3200+
CBBID 0451
2502 @ 9x278 vcore 1.6
XP-120 air cooled.

8 hours on prime95 on memtest86 passed.

got new speeds here, and jsut starting as i only recently discovered how to change voltage on this quirky ass msi mobo

hardware in sig:

cpu: 10 x 250 @ 1.44v
ram: 2-3-2-10 @ 2.85v / using 166 divider = 208mhz

yeea so if anyone knows a way to NOT have to set that "3" in my ram (you have to do it or the msi board will force you to 2.7v or supn) let me know!

Some nice OC's here... I am jealous. Having fried one 64-3200 already, I am being a bit more patient with the burn in time of my new Winny.

winchester :p

el rolio said:
yeea so if anyone knows a way to NOT have to set that "3" in my ram (you have to do it or the msi board will force you to 2.7v or supn) let me know!
ocz booster, or equivilent volt mod.
you can always just boot with trcd of 3 and change it in windows

heh thanks eclipse, but i do have a question. when folks say change in windows, is that a change you have to make EVERYTIME you boot up? or jsut once with the A64 tweaker?

also, my plan IS to get the booster and what i assume you do is set the bios to that one voltage that it will revert to if you set the trcd to 2 and then just do the old turn of the knob on the booster eh?

cool beans. by the way with my OC i could boot upwards of 2.7 ghz easy but 1. i really dont feel lik pumping tons of voltage in tot he cpu just yet, i'm loving loads of barely 50 deg with the summer coming up and 2. without the booster i cant be sure if hte ram is holding me back cuz im runnin it on a divider right now to keep it closer to 200mhz.

maybe one weekend i shall mess with it, for that matter i could prolly do this 2.5 with a lil less voltage like +3.3% or supn

(cf)Eclipse nice workup, you'd linked it as a single post so I traced it by replying
I figured I delete the post trace, but I'll be damned If Im going to wade through a 40 page thread to do it :p

at least now I can find it when I want it ;)

Yes. Yes yes yes. Few things in there I didn't know, perhaps I can push my venice past 2.6 now :)

(cf)Eclipse said:
haha, want me to post it as it's own thread to be stickied and locked? :p

well this isnt "my" forum
so Id run it by TechHead he might want to get it a bit more exposure ;)

In several of "my" forums I have an index of threads as stickes

gotcha, i'll pm him about it. he's already done me a huge favor by sticking the revE oc thread, hopefully he won't mind another :p

Whats most voltage people been pushing throught heir venice? i can hit 2.8 n/p but over that havving issues and i dont know how mutch voltage i can push through it

depends on the cooling. with air, i would stop at 1.5v to 1.55v for long term use.. if you plan on replacing the cpu within a year or two anyway, you can probably do a bit more ;)

Still rebuilding the new rig, BUT, played around a little before bed last night.

Specs are A64 3400+ (ADA3400AEP5AP CAAOC 0351XPMW), sitting on an MSI K8T Neo board. 1GB (2x 512) Corsair Valule Select. Punched the FSB up to 240 last night before it locked up tight. Last truly stable FSB was 235 (239 had frequent errors, 238 had common errors, and all the way down to 236 had errors in Memtest), however, that was at a multiplier of 11. So, therefore, 235 x 11 = 2585. On a chip rated for 2200. :D

EDIT: Timings on my RAM were 2.5-3-3-7. Additionally, it appears my PCI/AGP lock actually works on this board. Woo-hoo!

I'm gonna play with it some more over the weekend, and see if I can get Prime95 stable at that, and if I can, I'll be happy. Might be able to get higher with a divider... still unsure how far my RAM and PSU will let me go.

how did you confirm that the lock works? i'm assuming by hitting >260mhz with a lower cpu multi?

That is the next step, and also to see if my observations hold true. This A64 stuff is rather new to me, but I'll update after I do some serious work on it.

My only concern right now is power... specifically, I may not have enough to truly max the setup out. My PSU is only a True380, solid and stable, but just might not be enough to see what the ceilings of these things are. I plan on picking up a NeoPower in the very near future, I'm still getting this thing set up.

Good. I currently have a ti4400 128MB Leadtek, so I'll be good there. I guess I'll hold off on the NeoPower until I upgrade the VC, and just do both at the same time. Excellent. :) Thanks, Eclipse.

My system -
Athlon 64 Winchester 3200+
Cooler: Zalman Alcu 7700
DFI NF4-DAGF
Asus Extreme X800XL 256 MB (PCIe)
PQI PC3700 RAM 2*512 MB Dual Channel
500 Watt Antec Casemod PSU

Had no problems whatsoever reaching 2500 Mhz (10*250) with a RAM divider at 1:0.8 (200 Mhz - 2,5-3-3-7) - seems Prime95 stable. This at CPUcore at 1.55V
Haven't tried going further ...yet.

What is the highest someone ever got on a 3000+ venice? I managed to get mine up stable at 2.7ghz on stock cooling and I can probably get even more out of it if I get better cooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back